dcsimg

Clamps? What's your favorite?

Tagged: 

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 221 total)
  • Author
    jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I lost interest/use in pipe clamps mostly because they can stain the wood when doing woodworking type activities. They also have little ‘face’ for some applications that require more than near edge face securing needs.

doobie,
    All you have to do is change out the black pipe for galvanized and your work will not get stained.
    I have have several pipe clamps and after gifting some Bessey’s to r-ice, I have been keeping my eyes open for sales.

They still weigh a ton though! I’ve never been a fan of pipe clamps for that reason. Typically, I’ll glue something up then move it off of the bench because I have more to glue up. Moving all of the extra weight seems silly to me when quality bar clamps weigh so much less.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I lost interest/use in pipe clamps mostly because they can stain the wood when doing woodworking type activities. They also have little ‘face’ for some applications that require more than near edge face securing needs.

doobie,
    All you have to do is change out the black pipe for galvanized and your work will not get stained.
    I have have several pipe clamps and after gifting some Bessey’s to r-ice, I have been keeping my eyes open for sales.

I have found the galvanized pipe allows the clamps to slip more when tightening. And the galvanized will eventually come off. I prefer the black iron pipe.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

@doobie you are right in the fact that the pipe clamps have a smaller amount of face to work with. I do much prefer the bessey kbodys and am grateful that @58chev bought me a few to use. I try to keep and eye out for deals so i can pick up a few more.

Clev08
    Pro

I have some Jorgenson parallel clamps and they are awesome. I would steer clear of the cheap harbor freight clamps, I’ve lost 2 springs already and don’t use them much…

The strong quick grips are great, but are hard to use as a rack for a panel glue up

Pipe clamps are awesome, and can go to any length by threading a few pipes together (the 3/4 pipes are less likely to flex than the 1/2)

I like Besseys for most things

The only ones I dont like are those Irwin pinchers – the blue overgrown laundry pins. Useless for everything but holding a dropcloth to something

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

I do t do a whole lot of clamping, but I’ve got a bunch of Dewalt quick clamps. I grab them on sale and they seem to work just fine for me.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Mostly Jorgensen’s and Bessey’s F style for me. I also have two of the old Irwin Squeeze tighten ones that I found at a yard sale cheap. And some pipe clamps for long work. And some Jorgensen parallel clamps. And band clamps. And some wooden handscrews. You can’t have too many clamps!

Doobie

@doobie you are right in the fact that the pipe clamps have a smaller amount of face to work with. I do much prefer the bessey kbodys and am grateful that @58chev bought me a few to use. I try to keep and eye out for deals so i can pick up a few more.

I bought the majority of my Besseys from LV over ten years ago or so when they had package deal sales on Besseys. Those were good deals back then and I recognized that and dropped quite a bit of money on buying a total of 48 of them. My only regret is in having only four 12 inchers. I didn’t realize how much I would use those ones. Initially I thought they were a waste due to the short length, but they get used a lot. I would gladly own a dozen of them, but I’ve just never caught a sweet deal on them since that time.

The package deals at that time came with the newly released setup blocks, which at the time I initially didn’t care for but soon realized how usefull they are. The really help a lot. I highly recommend them. Keeps things in place when you need it most.

Not long after that time, they introduced the Revo style. Can’t say I have any regrets though having all K-Body clamps instead. They’re great clamps!

I also have a host of Mastercraft F clamps that were my first real clamp purchase after a few pipe clamps I initially owned. They get used very rarely.

I also have a host of Husky quick clamps that I bought for a song when HD were getting rid of them years ago. Those I use quite a bit. They’re light and of course ‘Quik’ as their name implies. Go figure! Lol!

Lots of C clamps that never get used. A whack load of spring hand clamps. They get used a fair bit.

I also have a bunch of Bessey corner clamps, but I’ve hardly ever used them. Another one that LV were clearing out at $8 a pop years ago. If I never bought them, I wouldn’t have struggled otherwise. I just don’t really need/use them.

One thing I bought that kind of instantly expanded my K-body assortment was the extenders. They are a little time consuming to deal with, but they saved me a lot of money in a sense versus buying a bunch more longer Besseys otherwise.

MrFid
    Pro
    Sudbury, MA

Anyone wrap their clamp handles with hockey tape? I have found that my fingers are much better off since doing that. I usually do them just like the butt of a hockey stick, with a twisted-up bead of tape wrapped around helically followed by a “coat” of tape. Provides much better grip. I have found that recently the Jorgensens I’ve found come with a rubber grip on the handle rather than the old wooden handle, so those I haven’t had to tape up. Curious if anyone else does this as well. I think I got the idea from Rob Cosman.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Anyone wrap their clamp handles with hockey tape? I have found that my fingers are much better off since doing that. I usually do them just like the butt of a hockey stick, with a twisted-up bead of tape wrapped around helically followed by a “coat” of tape. Provides much better grip. I have found that recently the Jorgensens I’ve found come with a rubber grip on the handle rather than the old wooden handle, so those I haven’t had to tape up. Curious if anyone else does this as well. I think I got the idea from Rob Cosman.

No I have wrapped them in other things but never ended well. I will have to try the hockey tape thanks.

Doobie

No I have wrapped them in other things but never ended well. I will have to try the hockey tape thanks.

Use this instead. Leaves no residue if you need to take it off and it lasts forever. Nice rubbery grip even when wet.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=67792&cat=1,110,43466

I’ve used it to even re-grip wheelbarrow handles, tape an electrical extension cord line that has been outside yearound for over five years nicked by the lawnmower. It’s waterproof and lasts.

When LV first starting selling it about ten years ago, this was the only ugly color they had.

The tape on the rolls has a seperation film. When it comes into contact with itself, it fuses itself together. It’s quite remarkable how it does this and not stick to anything else but itself.

gomoto69
    Pro
    salmon arm, bc

Lots of good info here, thank you, i will keep adding to my clamp collection! I find glue up to be one of the most stressful parts of any project, perfectly prepared and fitted parts can quickly turn to a messy, sticky, amateurish looking mess if this stage goes bad! The one thing i prefer of working with metal as opposed to wood, no glue! Weld it up, instant stick, not happy with the weld? Grind it off and give it another go!

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

Use this instead. Leaves no residue if you need to take it off and it lasts forever. Nice rubbery grip even when wet.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=67792&cat=1,110,43466

I’ve used it to even re-grip wheelbarrow handles, tape an electrical extension cord line that has been outside yearound for over five years nicked by the lawnmower. It’s waterproof and lasts.

When LV first starting selling it about ten years ago, this was the only ugly color they had.

The tape on the rolls has a seperation film. When it comes into contact with itself, it fuses itself together. It’s quite remarkable how it does this and not stick to anything else but itself.

Looks like I’ll be ordering some of that for my stiletto handle! Thanks for the info.

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

If I could only have one type of clamp for larger projects in my shop, the Jorgensen I-Bar clamps would be my choice. Of course, only when on sale.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I have a couple of pony bar clamps which come in handy. It clearly depends on the type of work you do. I use several different quick grips in different sizes. I love those things. Working alone often its a extra hand.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

If I could only have one type of clamp for larger projects in my shop, the Jorgensen I-Bar clamps would be my choice. Of course, only when on sale.

They are nice…I have 2 older 4′ ones. When you really need to clamp something tight they rule!!

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

They are nice…I have 2 older 4′ ones. When you really need to clamp something tight they rule!!

I have only one I-bar clamp 6′. Got it years ago at a yard sale. Very easy to over tighten.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Bessey Revo’s are my favorite for woodworking but are not my only clamp. For longer needs, pipe clamps (Pony) work great. Have some Irwin quick clamps too which I give mixed reviews depending on use.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I have a whole wall of pony pipe clamps. When I glued raised panels I used them all and wished I had more. If you keep the wood just off the clamp you don’t get the stains.

Clev08
    Pro

Those things are ridiculously strong, I’ve looked into them a few times.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 221 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.650 seconds