dcsimg

Clamps? What's your favorite?

Tagged: 

Viewing 20 posts - 201 through 220 (of 221 total)
  • Author

soon. Bessey sent me a pair to review, and I have to say, they are some seriously built clamps. I love the pipe clamp design without the pipe clamp draw backs. And they have a ridiculous amount of pressure they’re able to put on things.

Wish I had Bessey sending clamps to me to review – nice deal Charlie! I have a lot of their Revo’s and use them all the time but these look like they would be easier to use for wide glue-ups. The smaller head versus the Revo is still plenty of surface for normal boards and the hand screw would definitely be easier to turn with that handle. I will be eagerly awaiting your review.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@pi_woodworker I don’t think these will necessarily take the place of your Revo’s. They aren’t a parallel clamp, so there is some definite movement when you put force to a piece with them. That’s been my only problem with them. But if you use dominoes/ dowels/ biscuits to keep alignment, then these would work great. They are high quality, beefy clamps.

Charlie

Instagram

They aren’t a parallel clamp, so there is some definite movement when you put force to a piece with them.

Thanks for the info there Charlie. Something to keep in mind. I use the Revo’s whenever I can. These seem to be a stronger alternative to a pipe clamp with no issue of the work being in contact with the bar.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@pi_woodworker I think that’s pretty much the intended purpose of them. They are super rigid, even under full pressure over their length, and because they’re on a beam, the two ends can’t ever be off alignment from each other, unlike pipe clamps.

Charlie

Instagram

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

@pi_woodworker those iBeam clamps are fantastic – I’ll be writing up a review soon. Bessey sent me a pair to review, and I have to say, they are some seriously built clamps. I love the pipe clamp design without the pipe clamp draw backs. And they have a ridiculous amount of pressure they’re able to put on things.

They really look beefy. I will be interested to hear what you think of them, too.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Clev08
    Pro

Looks like it’s a knock off the Bessey Revo Jr. Almost the exact same prices I found from my local HD. The clamping force is only 20lbs different (but when they say “max” sometimes it also means a lot less in practical terms) Personally, I’d stick with Bessey.

For what I would use them for the clamping pressure is not as important but I’m looking to buy more parallel clamps without breaking the bank, the revo jrs might be my best option. thanks for the input.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@clev08 parallel clamps and broken banks seem to go hand in hand 😉 Good luck!

Charlie

Instagram

CB
    Blocked

Bessey from China (Home Depot) is not the same as Bessey from 30 years ago. No way no how. The Chinese castings are very inconsistent from one clamp to another.

My favorite clamps are Kant Twist.

Even if you can't Be The Pro... Be the Poster you'd want to read.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Bessey from China (Home Depot) is not the same as Bessey from 30 years ago. No way no how.

Another great tool company going the China Road in order to “save” money. Guess they did not learn from Craftsman who went down the same road and it almost killed them. Stanley has said that Craftsman production will move back to the USA.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

CB
    Blocked

The past seven (7) BOSCH tools and accessories I have purchased within the last 30 days have all been 100% Made In China.

Harbor Freight tools with blue plastic, red letters, German branding, and higher prices to match the panache of yesteryear?

Yesterday Bosch announced on their website that they were planning on expanding their workforce with 20,000 new hires… and China was named on the very short list of countries where the hiring would take place.

Bosch sold the Skilsaw brand to “Chevron” last fall. “Chevron” is another Chinese company who purposely picks an American sounding company name (even if not in a related business field) as a marketing tool to confuse American consumers. All Skilsaws are made in China too.

Even if you can't Be The Pro... Be the Poster you'd want to read.

RyanF
    Pro

Bosch sold the Skilsaw brand to “Chevron” last fall. “Chevron” is another Chinese company who purposely picks an American sounding company name (even if not in a related business field) as a marketing tool to confuse American consumers. All Skilsaws are made in China too.

For one thing, it’s CheRvon, not Chevron.

I’ve never seen a Chervon branded tool for sale in the United States. Im also not sure why any consumer would confuse the green and black logo of Chervon with that of the Chevron branding, or why a company would try to leverage a brand known only for oil/gasoline to help them sell power tools.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

@pi_woodworker I don’t think these will necessarily take the place of your Revo’s. They aren’t a parallel clamp, so there is some definite movement when you put force to a piece with them. That’s been my only problem with them. But if you use dominoes/ dowels/ biscuits to keep alignment, then these would work great. They are high quality, beefy clamps.

I don’t know if anything can take the place of revos, i feel like they have reach the peak with revos. I just have pipe clamps as well as they are cheaper than revos but eventually when I can, i’ll replace it all with revos.

Clev08
    Pro

Bessey from China (Home Depot) is not the same as Bessey from 30 years ago. No way no how. The Chinese castings are very inconsistent from one clamp to another.

My favorite clamps are Kant Twist.

I can see some good uses for Kant twist clamps but they would limit and constrain me in how I can glue things together and they are only so wide. and they are bulky in both directions so anything I would want to clamp with them would have to be elevated.

I don’t know if anything can take the place of revos, i feel like they have reach the peak with revos. I just have pipe clamps as well as they are cheaper than revos but eventually when I can, i’ll replace it all with revos.

I would not look to them as a Revo equivalent. However there are some times when you really need to pull things together. I can see these being easier on your wrists with the way they tighten versus the Revos.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Tool Box buzz with a review of the Rockler Face Clamps.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

Clev08
    Pro

Tool Box buzz with a review of the Rockler Face Clamps.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/iROhI5Wuq_k?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

I have seen those a lot lately, and they look really handy for specific jobs. I just don’t happen to do those jobs as of yet. But I am suprised at how well they do hold.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I would not look to them as a Revo equivalent. However there are some times when you really need to pull things together. I can see these being easier on your wrists with the way they tighten versus the Revos.

lol you guys should talk to @58chev lol he bent one of my pipe clamps so much i am having trouble taking it apart to replace the pipe lol.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

lol you guys should talk to 58chev lol he bent one of my pipe clamps so much i am having trouble taking it apart to replace the pipe lol.

@r-ice,
    I must have been the cheap overseas black pipe you are using.
    I only wrenched down on them to bring the bench top together, not one of mt pipe clamps bent, but then again I am using galvanized pipe which has a thicker wall than just regular black pipe.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Doobie

I retired my pipe clamps many years ago. I still have them, but they’ve sat in my basement untouched in a corner now for close to two decades now. I have mostly the older Bessey K-Body clamps that I use and a host of quick clamps for lighter duty work.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I retired my pipe clamps many years ago. I still have them, but they’ve sat in my basement untouched in a corner now for close to two decades now. I have mostly the older Bessey K-Body clamps that I use and a host of quick clamps for lighter duty work.

I just bought a big pile of pipe clamps last year at a garage sale for 20 bucks .It was a great deal 🙂
    I like the Irwin Quick Grips the best for strength .

Viewing 20 posts - 201 through 220 (of 221 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.507 seconds