dcsimg

Clamps? What's your favorite?

Tagged: 

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 221 total)
  • Author
    gomoto69
    Pro
    salmon arm, bc

Clamps seems to be one of those things i have trouble with, i bought a bag full from canadian tire, (should have known better) of the 6 clamps, 3 still work, never seem to have enough, and the ones i have usually end up an inch too short (story of my life)! What do you guys use? Is there a best ‘bang for the buck’ brand? Are the old school pipe clamps still the best? I’m a hobby woodworker, passes the time when i’m not up north working,

If I could afford them, I would have parallel clamps. Those quick clamps are almost as expensive, so I don’t have any of them either.

I use pipe clamps a lot. Buy a couple at a time when they go on sale. I have a couple of different lengths of pipe, so I can switch them back and forth. My pipes are threaded on both ends, so with a pipe coupler I can make them really long if I need to. Hmmmm, there’s a video about that somewhere 🙂

I have a bunch of F clamps too, some are Canadian Tire ones. They work, I have some others from the surplus store. I keep losing the little plastic pads for them. Someday I will epoxy on some wood pads. I have a few really old F clamps and they really clamp. Gotta watch for putting dents in, so use a caul.

Which brings me to……gluing up a large piece trying to hold the clamp in place, a caul at both ends, and align the parts. Tricky with a one man operation. I use painters tape to hold the cauls in place on the piece.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Not the cheapest but you wont ever have a problem if you get some german made bessey clamps, the china made ones you get at the big box stores are decent too.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I’m with JDO on this one. Yard sales for pipe clamps, kijiji is less reliable but don’t overlook it. I have some Bessey F clamps that were pretty cheap!

Almost anything from CTC is not what it used to be. Even if it’s on sale it’s not worth buying IMO.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Doobie

I have an army of Bessey K-body clamps. I have a host of other clamps, but only keep them if ever I need to build an ark. The Besseys are my go-to clamps.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

I have some pipe clamps Irwin and Bessey. Happy with both.
    Have also a pair of bessey K 48″ I think, K-body parallel clamps. I intend to buy some more. Different lengths.
    I have also an army of different sizes C clamps.

For bigger tasks I use big box store Bessie clamps. For smaller jobs I like the Kreg Automax… pricy for sure but a snap to use.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I have several brands but most of mine are Jorgenson/Ponys. Aside from a few quick grips, I use bar clamps. Like many other guys, I’d love to have parallel clamps, but I’m not quite ready to drop that kind of money when my bar clamps do the job just fine.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I have about a dozen 6″ Bessey F style clamps, a few longer ones and some trigger style clamps as well as four pipe clamps. But the 6′ bessey clamps are what I reach for all the time. They are so useful for all the work I do at my benches and they have really great holding power.

Charlie

Instagram

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I have a bunch of the “F” body clamps and a few “K” body. I really do like the “K” body, they are heavy duty and clamp well.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I have a bunch but i really like the bessey k body ones, then comes the pipe clamps, i was pretty impressed with them and third is my bessey track saw clamps, so many different uses.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I like and use pipe clamps for most stuff. I just can’t justify the price of parallel clamps.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

Jorgensen’s and Bessey’s here for the most part. Filled in with other name brands depending on what sales were going on at the time I needed them.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

gomoto69
    Pro
    salmon arm, bc

Thanks everyone, i’m not familiar with bessey clamps but will look into those. I kick myself that i missed out on a fella selling off a large assortment of pipe clamps a year or so ago, thought about it too long and of course they were gone, just a few dollars each. I’m done buying cheap clamps, will just buy a quality clamp or 2 at a time. I just finished glueing up a large coffee table i made out of cedar slabs i cut with my chainsaw mill, threw every clamp i had at that one! I got it together, but some quality clamps would have made life a whole lot easier!

JamieM
    Pro
    Hamilton, ON

My go to clamp for clamping stock to the workbench or clamping a jig or template is the Kreg Automax, these clamps are amazing. The clamps I use most often when assembling are the Bessey Duoklamps. They are lightweight and easy to handle with just one hand.

Doobie

One clamp that I would love to have a handful of but nowhere full retail are these Bessey Edge Clamps. It’s just never surfaced in the 15 years or so since I discovered them. They sell up here for like $80 a pop.

I like and use pipe clamps for most stuff. I just can’t justify the price of parallel clamps.

Same here. I have some Pony ones, HF ones, and some generic smaller bar clamps. I prefer a 3/4″ pipe clamp for most things.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Same here. I have some Pony ones, HF ones, and some generic smaller bar clamps. I prefer a 3/4″ pipe clamp for most things.

Good pipe clamp can pull the anything around and if it doesn’t work the I-beam clam will.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Doobie

I lost interest/use in pipe clamps mostly because they can stain the wood when doing woodworking type activities. They also have little ‘face’ for some applications that require more than near edge face securing needs.

Once I got into my arsenal of K-Bodies, the pipe clamps became museum pieces or ‘one day if needed’ alternatives which I’ve never actually reached for since.

Still, I keep them for that one-off situation.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I lost interest/use in pipe clamps mostly because they can stain the wood when doing woodworking type activities. They also have little ‘face’ for some applications that require more than near edge face securing needs.

@Doobie,
    All you have to do is change out the black pipe for galvanized and your work will not get stained.
    I have have several pipe clamps and after gifting some Bessey’s to @r-ice, I have been keeping my eyes open for sales.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 221 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 1.404 seconds