dcsimg

Circular Saws (SideWinders)

This topic contains 63 replies, has 32 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Frank 58Chev 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Dirty
    DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I’d like to check to see who likes the sidewinder over the inline worm drive and why? I have and use both. We carpenters love the pics so here are a few…….

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Profile photo of Kurt
    kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Dirty, is that an older Makita 16″

Profile photo of John. L
    cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I use sidewinders all the time .Much lighter to hold if your cutting all day .

Profile photo of Dirty
    DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Kurt the top one is a newer 16¼” that came out of Buford Ga. the older ones came from Japan. The 10¼” gold saw is from Japan and a bit older but still works just fine!

Dirty

This is a great topic Dirty! But I am woefully ignorant about this one…. so I am going to stick mostly to questions on this topic 😛

How often do you find yourself using the 16 1/4″? And I am curious what others have to say still about their preference of sidewinders vs inline….

John S

Profile photo of Dirty
    DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Well John the 16″ comes out every time I have to cut a 45 on any beam that is a 4X10 or 12 or 14 or 6×10 or 12 or 14 so it comes out about 4 or 5 times a year.

Dirty

Profile photo of Dirty
    DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

….

Dirty

Profile photo of Jason
    MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

Well Dirty my answer is much more plain on this one. I use a sidewinder because I don’t have a worm drive. I am looking to pick up a worm drive but can’t decide on Skill or Milwaukee.

Profile photo of Kurt
    kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Great photos Dirty. We dont do much with timbers around here so the 10 1/4 Milwaukee we haveis large enough. My guys prefer tzhe 7 1/4 sidewinders to the worm drives. We dont see a lot of worm drives in any jobsites around here. I

Profile photo of John. L
    cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

That big saw would come in handy for a lot of the bulky lumber that I have in my shop .

Profile photo of Dirty
    DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Although I love my Makita 10¼” sometimes I need to cut off 4×6 or 4×8 rafter or joist the are below my feet and with that handle on top circular saw set up is cutting down below my feet is difficult. I would love to pick up a 10¼” inline wormdrive saw.

Dirty

Profile photo of Sven
    svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Thanks for the thread Dirty, I just realized that I din’t need either one of these, at least I don’t see a need right now.

Profile photo of Matt
    mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Most of the time I use my 6 1/2″ Dewalt 20v, if not I actually have a 6 1/2″ Mastercraft that has a rough blade in it that I use if I think I’m going to possible hit a nail, or for going through lvl or something that will eat up blades. I also have a 7 1/4″ old craftsman that is a workhorse but doesn’t come out to play all that often just because the smaller guys do 95% of what I need.

Dirty – I’ve heard the noise of the big Makita is quite something?

Profile photo of Dirty
    DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Dirty – I’ve heard the noise of the big Makita is quite something?

Just keep the PowerBoxx on 19

Dirty

Profile photo of Dirty
    DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Hey anybody need a great looking Makita cicr. 10¼” saw? Just PM me as I don’t think I can post it here. It looks just like mine.

Attachments:

Dirty

Profile photo of Chad
    ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

I tend to go to the sidewinder first, I think mostly because that was all I had ever used until about 5 years ago. I do like worm drives, they power through cuts (like wet PT lumber) that most sidewinders bog down on and they seem easier to make a nice straight cut with.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

A Carpenter's Journal

Hey anybody need a great looking Makita cicr. 10¼” saw? Just PM me as I don’t think I can post it here. It looks just like mine.

PMed. though, i’m sure shipping from hawaii will suck.

Profile photo of Julian
    CrpntrFeak
    Pro
    Globe, AZ

Well Dirty my answer is much more plain on this one. I use a sidewinder because I don’t have a worm drive. I am looking to pick up a worm drive but can’t decide on Skill or Milwaukee.

Skil and Bosch are about the same so I would keep that in mind when ready to buy. I also highly recommend the Ridgid. Great worm drive.

I have never used the Waukke but I remember it being very heavy back when I looked at it about 10 years ago. Back then it weighed about 19lbs. WOW!! Glad to see they have shed 4 pounds according to the spec sheet from them.

The only sidewinder I have is a DeWalt. About 17 years old. I keep it just in case and it was the first saw I ever had. Sentimental…ya know. lol

I have both styles. I like the wormdrive, but the sidewinder does come out about as much because that’s what my partner prefers. We also have a 10 1/4″ Milwaukee sidewinder for big beams or large I joists.

I just saw a tool article or review the other day that Bosch has a near identical worm drive out or coming out that is like the newer Skil Mag Lt. That wouldbe nice to see show up on the rewards list!

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Profile photo of HDPro
    hdpro
    Pro
    Upstate, NY

I have both. I think a lot of it is regional. Not too many guys in my area have worm drives here. Most everyone uses sidewinders.

I lucked out on an eBay auction a few years ago. Someone was selling new old stock skil worm drives they’d discovered in a hardware store basement they’d bought out. (These were the older USA made style.) Less than a hundred bucks with shipping! And in the original sealed box. Sweeeeet!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 64 total)

You must login or register for the Pro Forum to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.241 seconds