dcsimg

Circular saw with riving knife?

Tagged: 

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

In several videos and forums it’s mentioned that European circular saws are required to have a riving knife. I’ve never seen a circular saw with it before. It just seems quite awkward to have one on circular saw, and would limit how you can use the saw. You can’t plunge with it, and you can’t cut backward with it (like scoring a laminate before cutting).

so I’m curious to know if anyone has used one and what’s your experience with it.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Only my track saw has the riving knife on it and I only use that saw for panel-ply cutting, maybe the ripping of cabinet fills.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

doesn’t the festool track saw have a riving knife on it and you can plunge with the festool.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

doesn’t the festool track saw have a riving knife on it and you can plunge with the festool.

I searched for a bit and looks like the riving knife is spring loaded, so it retracts when you plunge and pops down when you start to cut forward. I suppose that’s a good solution, not sure if you can manually keep it raised when needed for the situation though.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Only my track saw has the riving knife on it and I only use that saw for panel-ply cutting, maybe the ripping of cabinet fills.

Don’t you have the Makita track saw @DirtyWhiteBoy? Did you trade up?

IMO, a roving knife on a circular saw can only be moderately effective…its not quite like a table saw that uses a fence in combination with the knife. Is it supposed to prevent sideways motion?

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

I always thought it’s to prevent lumber with internal stress to close up behind the blade and pinch it, but now that I think about it, it could prevent sideway movement, at least on a table saw.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

I can honestly say if had a saw that came with a riving knife i would remove it pretty quickly for all the reasons stated. in renovations you need teh ability to make all sorts of different types of cuts with a circ saw.. if im in a pinch where i need to rip wet lumber with a circ saw and the wood closes back up ill put a chisel in the kerf to keep it open

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

EthanB
    Pro
    South Kingstown, RI

I haven’t had a circ. saw really kick back in I can’t even remember how long.

Warren6810
    Akron, OH

Not to mentiom, unlike a table saw, your arms and body weight are directly behind the blade. A kickback would also send the user backwards, away from danger theoretically.

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

Sounds like a solution in search of a problem to me.

I believe some of the European circular saws can be without a riving knife, the European CCS180 doesn’t have one. Its apparently some kind of legal safety requirement where some designs can go without.

Anonymous
    Inactive

No doubt it will be mandated here eventually, like it or not.

Doobie

It can happen to newbies though. Happened to me 30+ years ago actually. Scared the snot out of me and frayed the power cord which I ended up pigtailing as a result afterwards. Still have that old B&D which i never use actually. Came real close to losing it and causing serious damage to myself.

I have to think there’s a lot of people out there like me years ago that can be prone to exactly the same thing especially on something as seemingly simpleton as a circ saw doing just the same today.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

I’m sure if it happens, the riving knife can be removed easily with help of other tools.

Doobie

I’m sure if it happens, the riving knife can be removed easily with help of other tools.

I have no prob with the riving knife on my Festool TS75. Never been a problem. Don’t even think it is there. It certainly does not make me shy away from my older circ saws either because they don’t have one.

I have no need any longer for a riving knife on a circ saw imo, but as alluded to earlier, for newbies, this is almost a must to keep the poor buggers out of trouble. Let’s face it. what kind of real practical real usage instructions are there with tools other than ‘don’t use while stoned/drunk or while in the swimming pool blindfolded etc…’.

Too bad they couldn’t just have a tools solution marketed for newbies with the safeguards to keep these company’s lawyers that make them less busy, and another line for experienced/knowledgeable contractors and the likes to carry on without such.

Rivet knives are mounted om plunge track saws only, although some don’t have it.
    They are all spring loaded and give no problems by plunging in the middle of a wood sheet, and it goes down the track as the saw progresses.
    Some tracksaws without rivet knife have a security feature so the saw cannot move backwards on the track. Meanwhile, there is no security by working without the track and using straightedge !!!

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Rivet knives are mounted om plunge track saws only, although some don’t have it.
    They are all spring loaded and give no problems by plunging in the middle of a wood sheet, and it goes down the track as the saw progresses.
    Some tracksaws without rivet knife have a security feature so the saw cannot move backwards on the track. Meanwhile, there is no security by working without the track and using straightedge !!!

my track saw does not have a rivet knife and it will kick back if you don’t know what you are doing with it.🐒

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.505 seconds