dcsimg

Choice of masking tape.

Tagged: 

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    CrpntrFeak
    Pro
    Globe, AZ

Moze’s unfortunate situation got me thinking what type of masking tape you guys use most?

My favorite is from Dunn Edwards. It is orange. It is very sticky! I would not even think of using it on an interior surface that is less than 3 weeks old. I mainly use it for masking floors and masking stucco when painting. You need all the sticky you can get when masking a rough stucco finish.

I really like using 3m white tape for interior stuff. It sticks well but not too much to pull off the finish. I can apply it soon after a coat of paint is dry and it will stay as long as I don’t leave it more than a day or two.

The 3m blue tape is ok but I have not gotten it to work for me very well. Always going back and reapplying it. Tried using it in the sun, forget about it. Will not stay in the sun for some reason.

Then there is the green Frog Tape. I kinda like this for a quick mask. Mask, spray, remove. It tends to do very well in this application. Interior only.

What do you guys use?

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I have never used the frog tape yet. I use painter tape for everything except painting.

I look for those medium stick tapes. Last week I was kicking myself in the azz for buying the bluehawk tape. Normaly it does fine but it was humid and it wouldnt hold.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

MMM blue is about all we use. We have tried the off brands and have not had good results.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

I have a use for quite a few tapes! Tuck tape (red) for really sticky situations where you don’t mind the tape peeling off layers and leaving a red residue. Electrical tape for mending electrical cords and on the fly fixes of our stage power lines. Bitumen & Butyl Tapes for sealing connections and to waterproof. Frog tape for edging lines and it worked pretty sweet but was expensive.

A Working Pro since 2004

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

There are a bunch of masking tapes out there any more. A lot of the thinner flexible tapes are for being able to bend around curves smoothly and providing a sharp line with no bleed through. Green, blue, red, beige they all mask you just need to match the tape to the application. It is no longer one size fits all with masking tape. As far as pull off is concerned, if you have something you do not want pulled off when you remove the tape then you need to reduce the tape’s ability to stick before you stick it in place. One way to do this is place the tape on your pants so it picks up a bit of dust prior to sticking. Makes it easier to remove.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

One way to do this is place the tape on your pants so it picks up a bit of dust prior to sticking. Makes it easier to remove.

Good tip.

A Working Pro since 2004

Lots of blue tape. Use white masking tape places where you need more stickiness and aren’t pulling off finish’s.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

frog tape for painting house stuff. 3M for automotive and 3M for general masking tape. I’ve never had any luck with the blue stuff but I don’t know the brand.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

This is a great topic, A couple years ago I painted a few rooms in my house and the walls are a pretty coarse texture. I just used some old fashion cheap vanilla colored masking tape and it sucked, My cut lines at the ceiling looked like a 2 year old kid did it. I had to go back with a brush and try to cut it in by hand, It’s still not the sharpest lines. I’m all ears on what is the best for this

This is a great topic, A couple years ago I painted a few rooms in my house and the walls are a pretty coarse texture. I just used some old fashion cheap vanilla colored masking tape and it sucked, My cut lines at the ceiling looked like a 2 year old kid did it. I had to go back with a brush and try to cut it in by hand, It’s still not the sharpest lines. I’m all ears on what is the best for this

The white masking tape isn’t designed for making a clean edge with brush work. It does work for spraying though. Taping a vinyl window works well for example.

You’d want a nice quality 3M blue tape with edge lock perhaps or the frog tape if you’re taping to cut in against.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

What do you guys use?

Man with all the exterior remodeling and add ons I’ve been doing I keep a roll or 2 of Gorilla tape with me. The stuff holds like mad and sticks to anything.

This is a great topic,

I was thinking the same thing.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

HD’s tape is horrible. Don’t waste your time with it.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Stick with brand names for ease of use and to prevent bleed through. I use 3M or Scotch. Costs more but fewer headaches.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I think it’s safe to say that most of us would be disappointed withy the cheap/store brand stuff. I try to stick to Frog tape and the real 3M stuff.

I’ve found that peeling the tape off cleanly is more of an issue than getting it to stick in the first place.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Well we now have frog tape to tape up the frogs. We have duck to tape up the ducks. If the gorilla need taped up we have gorilla tape. We have tape in all different colors from blue to pink. So it really depends on what you need taped up as to the type of tape you get.

Dirty

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Well we now have frog tape to tape up the frogs. We have duck to tape up the ducks. If the gorilla need taped up we have gorilla tape. We have tape in all different colors from blue to pink. So it really depends on what you need taped up as to the type of tape you get.

Was a lot simpler when you had black electricians tape, beige masking tape and duck tape in either black or silver.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

We are mostly 1-1/2″ 3M blue. We buy it by the case when SW has their 40% sale.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

We are mostly 1-1/2″ 3M blue. We buy it by the case when SW has their 40% sale.

That is the good for taping off stuff . I always keep some of it with me too.

Dirty

I’m the outlier, I suppose, because I use mostly lacquers. I use green 3M #2060 exclusively. Known as “Lacquer tape” the solvents won’t attack the adhesive and make it gooey. I’ve bought it at Porter Paint and Sherwin Williams.

I’m the outlier, I suppose, because I use mostly lacquers. I use green 3M #2060 exclusively. Known as “Lacquer tape” the solvents won’t attack the adhesive and make it gooey. I’ve bought it at Porter Paint and Sherwin Williams.

That’s a great point to remember about the laquer. The green does work well!

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.422 seconds