dcsimg

chisles.. do you sharpen em or just buy new ones

This topic contains 225 replies, has 54 voices, and was last updated by  smallerstick 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 226 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I grind and sharpen my chisels. I have one swiss steel set that is made of softer steel and needs sharpening more often, but I keep them aroung for the finer detail work because they can take a sharper edge than the harder steel chisels.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

When I used chisels to remove sealants we would use a sharpening stone and sharpen by hand. I assume they would be need to be much more precise with wood.

A Working Pro since 2004

Anonymous

I get it when it comes to some stuff, but what tool owner throws chisels away rather than sharpen them?

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

but what tool owner throws chisels away rather than sharpen them?

Not me, I’ll sharpen them.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I would never throw away a dull chisel , I use my bench grinder to sharpen them .

Anonymous

Sharpen them unless they somehow get gouged. Your chisels should look like this chefs knives by the time you are done with them! And yes, that is the same knife.

jstare
    Pro
    Langley, BC

I get it when it comes to some stuff, but what tool owner throws chisels away rather than sharpen them?

I think that it is a rarity for anyone to just throw away a chisel unless it is actually damaged beyond repair. It would be cheaper to pay someone to sharpen them for you than it would be to replace them all the time

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Sharpen them unless they somehow get gouged. Your chisels should look like this chefs knives by the time you are done with them! And yes, that is the same knife.

Oh those look like fine Japanese sushi knives. Is that what you do? Are you a Sushi chef??

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Anonymous

I sharpen my own. I have two sets. One small set of regular chisels and one set of Swiss chisels my father gave me that are made of softer steel. The regular chisels sharpen well and hold an edge pretty good. The Swiss chisels sharpen to a razor edge, but dull quicker. I use the regular chisels for most work and the Swiss chisels for the fine detail work.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I sharpened my to much and took off the tip of my thumb the other day.
    I have a beater set and my pride and joy set.
    A tool has to be pretty bad before I toss it away.

Always sharpen – even the beater chisels I have in the shop. A quick pas with a low-speed grinder fixes the edge and honing on oil stones for my fine woodworking chisels keeps them sharp.

Orange County, CA

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I came across this little shop made jig a while ago but didn’t do anything til yesterday. It took about an hour to make with some scrap 1/4″ cherry strips, a couple of 1/4″ machine screws and tee nuts.

Here is the link to the site describing the use etc.
    http://www3.telus.net/BrentBeach/Sharpen/Chisel%20jig.html

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I came across this little shop made jig a while ago but didn’t do anything til yesterday. It took about an hour to make with some scrap 1/4″ cherry strips, a couple of 1/4″ machine screws and tee nuts.

That looks too complicated for me 🙂 I either use a sharpening stone or a belt sander upside down to sharpen mine .

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

That looks too complicated for me :-) I either use a sharpening stone or a belt sander upside down to sharpen mine .

I did an old plane iron on my belt sander using this jig today. Got a flat, square edge in about 5 min. and dead on 25º

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Belt sander for me too, if I wanted really sharp, I just put the leather belt on and strop it to mirror finish.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I use a my Work Sharp to set the rough angle properly, then hone by hand on wet/dry sandpaper with WD-40. I usually go up to 2000g. When I’m done, they are beyond sharp enough to shave with.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Looks like a nice easy fixture to make if you have a lot of chisels to sharpen.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Always sharpen – even the beater chisels I have in the shop. A quick pas with a low-speed grinder fixes the edge and honing on oil stones for my fine woodworking chisels keeps them sharp.

I do the same, or as Jon, mentioned fine grit sandpaper with WD40. I have always done mine by hand.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

sharpen chisels, and I just picked up two new ones recently for 2.50 cents. I am tempted to go back and pick up a few more at that price.

I sharpen..up to 4000 grit right now, I hope to add a strope to the process. There is no way I am just going to throw out my Narex chisels and buy new ones. Of course, mine are not used for “construction” but rather “woodworking”. I have a few cheaper ones I use as “beaters” but they get sharpened the same. A dull tool is too frustrating to use, and more dangerous too.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 226 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.513 seconds