dcsimg

chisles.. do you sharpen em or just buy new ones

This topic contains 225 replies, has 54 voices, and was last updated by  smallerstick 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 226 total)
  • Author

rerun_1965
    Pro
    holladay, TN

i sharpen mine

@chadm is there a kit you bought that comes with the basic stones and diamond honing plate or did you buy pieces separately?

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

@overanalyze I believe Lie-Nielsen sells a basic kit but I cobbled my kit together from pieces I picked up here and there.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

I have always sharpened mine. Not to the extreme of Chads video. But they do get sharp.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Thanks Chad. I will check out their site.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

I have always sharpened mine. Not to the extreme of Chads video. But they do get sharp.

The process usually isn’t that intense. Unless I am trying to sharpen a really beat up beater chisel it takes me about 5 minutes per chisel.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Grommit
    Pro

Always sharpen mine even the beaters. I use a low speed grinder to shape a bevel when needed (hollow ground),and have sitched to Diamond paste on MDF for Honing. Cheaper and more portable then water stones.

I have used a Work Sharp WS3000 unit and have sharpened by hand using a flat surface with various grits of PSA sandpaper stuck to it and a honing guide. Both methods work well although I would prefer to hand sharpen.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I recently bought a diamond sharpening kit but have yet to use it.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Always sharpen mine even the beaters. I use a low speed grinder to shape a bevel when needed (hollow ground),and have sitched to Diamond paste on MDF for Honing. Cheaper and more portable then water stones.

Welcome to the funn @grommit,,, lots of good info in here and good folks too.
    How did you find the forum??

Dirty

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Welcome to the BTP @grommit. You will find we are friendly bunch.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Lakelover
    Pro
    Fort Qu'Appelle, SK

@DWB

Diamond sharping is fast and easy. I even have a small one in the tool bag for onsite needs.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I use a Work Sharp. It works great on chisels and knives.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

hgonzalez7
    Pro
    San Antonio, Texas

Here is a great video from Lie-Nielsen on how to sharpen a chisel. This is basically the method I use.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”433″ src=”http://www.youtube.com/embed/9aDPZzMvVTA?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

Excellent video @chadm

Bert

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

lake. thank for mentioning the diamond for sharpening.. i completely forgot i have a diamon hone.. just cant remember where it is though.. i need to put it back in my on site tool box

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

Sharpen! Doesn’t take long, pays off in spades (heck, sharpen your spade and see how much smoother your digging goes! …or how quickly you discover the need for steel-toed boots!). I’m with @chadm on the cathartic/therapeutic value of sharpening. It’s very zen-like.

It sounds like there are a lot of Worksharp fans here… I’ve considered one, but just can’t pull the trigger. What helped anyone who has one decide to go for it?

Still not great at it, but sharpen. Figure there is nothing to loose, everything to gain

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

@DWB

Diamond sharping is fast and easy. I even have a small one in the tool bag for onsite needs.

Fast and easy are my favorite way to go.

Dirty

I should really start to sharpen them . Once they get not so good there turned into rat chisels .

Welcome to bethepro @grommit is a nice fourm .

Always willing to learn .

jstare
    Pro
    Langley, BC

I do re-sharpen my chisels because I feel its a waste to throw something out that is still perfectly good and this goes even for my cheap chisels. I also have a set of Veritas PMV11 chisels and at about $70 each you learn to sharpen them in a quick fashion because you aren’t throwing them out!

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 226 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.890 seconds