dcsimg

Chisels

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 91 total)
  • Author

Has anybody had any experience with Narex chisels? Lee Valley and others sell them. They are Czech made and seem to be reasonably priced for use in the shop.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

John S wrote:I grabbed a set of fulton hand chisels today at an estate sale that looked like they were in great shape and the edge looked solid…. anyone know much on these?

Sounds like you’re doing quite well on the “sales” !!

Lon – no experience but I have heard (reviews – forget which sites) that they are quite good for the price. Sure you could spend a lot more, but I think that they are a great middle price set of chisels for the quality from what I have read.

And yes Charles – trying to hit up some garage/estate sales on weekends when I can 🙂

John S

Well, I will find out because I ordered a set. I have a customer that imports a lot of Czech made wire and his states they make quality metals.

Making the most of free shipping I see? haha

John S

PS Lon – let me know what you think on those Narex chisels… I have been eyeing them myself as well… Although who we need to get an answer from is Dan since he used to work at Lee Valley and knows a ton about their stuff.

John S

Free shipping – yes, I would make my mother proud.

I’ll let you know. I am hoping they arrive tomorrow and I can check them out.

I just picked up a set of three Irwin/Marples chisels. Not sure how they’ll work out, but they do come in a nice case. I bought them for more fine work, like door jambs and such. However, as always happens, 30 year old window glazing was the first use. It did well.

My favorite chisel was an old black handled Stanley. I used that sucker for anything from chipping concrete to prying window frames out and splitting straight grained pine. It wasn’t sharp, but it kept a nice blunt edge on it. I am hoping it is lost in my shop somewhere and will turn up eventually.

The Dewalt demo chisel is a decent unit, but the steel isn’t as good as that old Stanley.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I bought a Stanley set years ago, I’ve used and abused them badly and to this day they’re still pretty sharp.

It seems for rough work older steel tends to hold up better long term… Why is that?

John S

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

Maybe I’m a bit bias, but the highest quality steel was made right here in the good ole USA, all from raw materials. Things changed ! Foreign steel companies started dumping inferior steel for less than US companies could produce the high quality steel for, and consumers were all about the bottom dollar…. so that’s where we are today

I imagine that you have some bias for sure Charles, BUT it does seem like you know your steel – so I don’t doubt that it is companies cutting corners that leads us to lower quality metal… Kinda ironic that that is “progress”

John S

woodman_412

John S wrote:PS Lon – let me know what you think on those Narex chisels… I have been eyeing them myself as well… Although who we need to get an answer from is Dan since he used to work at Lee Valley and knows a ton about their stuff.

I think the Narex chisels are pretty middle of the road, nothing too special. I’ve never had a chance to put them to work so I can’t comment on their performance but I think they are decent.

Dan

danpattison.com

Thanks Dan – I had heard they were pretty good for the price, but I am sure that the higher end stuff puts them to shame

John S

woodman_412

I would like to be able to try the new Veritas PM-V11 chisels to see how they compare to my Lie-Nielsen chisels. The PM-V11 steel sounds interesting, I would like to see how it performs in my own shop.

Dan

danpattison.com

Hi Guys,

I received the Narex chisels last week and I was happy with what I received. The packaging protected the chisels well. The steel was finished nice. So far my schedule has not allowed me to start chopping with them (purchased mortise chisels). Perhaps this weekend.

Dan, the new Veritas chisels have been reviewed well in the magazines. Perhaps you can one to test on behalf of the forum and you can give us the review.

The new veritas chisels do look quite nice, but I am not sure I can commit to a whole set at their price. Perhaps one, but not a whole set

John S

woodman_412

If Lee Valley wants to give me a set to test I’d be happy to review them 🙂

John, you have to be doing a lot of hand work to justify chisels like that too. I find that my cheaper Marples chisels get me by just fine working on site but I really appreciate my Lie-Nielsen chisels when I’m working in my shop building furniture or doing fine woodworking.

Dan

danpattison.com

I have a couple of sets of Footprint (Sheffield steel) that I got maybe 30 years ago. At that time, they were top rated. Having a Workshop 3000 has helped keep them sharp.

Anyone here have a favorite method of sharpening their chisels? And how sharp is sharp
    ‘enough’ for you?

John S

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 91 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.540 seconds