dcsimg

Chisels

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 91 total)
  • Author

Hey all,

Do you guys have a favorite brand or set of chisels you use for general use? I would also be curious to know what you prefer to use for finer work, but I am more interested in what you use most often that takes a beating and holds a decent edge

John S

redwood
    Pro

I don’t spend much on chisels because they do take a beating and don’t hold their edge. Nothing like nails and concrete to screw up a chisel.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Rob
    Pro
    Birmingham, Alabama

I thought my chisels were sharp till I watched a post and beam framer work his craft one day. The wood came of like it was made of butter!
    My chisel was just a bar of iron compared to that.
    I have seen a few guys sharpen their knifes and I still can’t do what they do.
    I will just have to be content with second place.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

John S wrote:Hey all,

Do you guys have a favorite brand or set of chisels you use for general use? I would also be curious to know what you prefer to use for finer work, but I am more interested in what you use most often that takes a beating and holds a decent edge

I don’t know what brand would take a beating… I have a set of Craftsman chisels , first set I ever bought. Also have some Stanley and some odd ones I picked up at yard sales. I like to keep my tools sharp so I don’t let them get that far gone before a “touch-up” Seems to me even a “cheap” chisel if sharp will do the job

Anything that encounters concrete is ultimately going to slow down at some point sooner or later… I look forward to the day that somebody creates an ever-sharp/never-dull metal

John S

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

I just buy the cheap ones because I know I am going to do something a chisel isn’t made for and then it will be pretty messed up. I do keep a file and a dual sided diamond stone to put an edge back on when needed and to keep the edge in between “stupidity”.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I keep a Fast Cap folding chisel in my pouch in addition to a beater. The Fast Cap folds ovfer the cutting edge to protect it inyour pouch so you always have a good chisel ween you need it.

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

That sounds good Kurt. I had not seen those before. Does it work well?

woodman_412

I use a set of Marples chisels in my tool bag that get more of a beating and a set of Lie-Nielsen chisels in my shop for finer work. The Lie-Nielsen hold an edge better but I don’t want to beat them up on site. The Marples are decent at holding an edge but nothing special.

Dan

danpattison.com

Hey Dan, I have exactly the same and concur on their use. Lee Valley makes a nice bevel edge honing guide to help sharpen, Using a true flat surface and a variety of grits in PSA sandpaper strips to work edges, it does a wonderful job.

Dan – are your marples chisels old or new? I have heard the newer isn’t quite as good as the old

John S

Rob
    Pro
    Birmingham, Alabama

Most of my chisel work is ‘rough hogging’ some wood out of the way.
    Since that seemed to always be the case, I bought the Craftsman chisel with the rasp built in to the shank of the tool. I carry that at all times in my pouch.

Kurt – I was wondering how those fastcap chisels (and other folding tools) actually worked – do you like yours?

John S

I have been real happy with the Fastcap folding Chisels which is used a lot in my Handyman and Remodeling work liking the way they easy fold up and easy to carry. On top of that I have been Blessed with the edge they hold. But back at the shop I have the Stanley high dollar chisels but the shop is where if we going to be using them to build or having them to help us make the things that has to be hand made since unable to find what is needed for a job. But to me it is nothing like to grab a wood chisel that has a great edge to help make the job at hand easier to turn out.

I grabbed a set of fulton hand chisels today at an estate sale that looked like they were in great shape and the edge looked solid…. anyone know much on these?

John S

woodman_412

John S wrote:Dan – are your marples chisels old or new? I have heard the newer isn’t quite as good as the old

John, my Marples chisels are older. I think I’ve had them for about 14 years. I wouldn’t doubt that the quality of the newer ones isn’t as good but I couldn’t say for sure.

Dan

danpattison.com

woodman_412

John S wrote:I grabbed a set of fulton hand chisels today at an estate sale that looked like they were in great shape and the edge looked solid…. anyone know much on these?

I’ve heard of Fuller chisels and I have one but haven’t heard of Fulton. How old do you figure they are John?

Dan

danpattison.com

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I like e fast cap. I do not think it would take great abuse but for thons times when you need a good chisel and not a beater, it sure comes in handy and you know it will not have a ding in it from bouncing around in your pouch.

I have a set of Stanley chisels. I use them a lot for my finish work. I sharpen them myself. S they do hold an edge well. They are one of the tools that I do not lend to anyone. Because you always get them back with a dent in the edge. Lol.

Dan – I have no idea how old they are to be honest… Can’t seem to find a ton of info on them online, either :\

John S

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 91 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.577 seconds