dcsimg

Chinese Spam Attacks!

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Must be something related with a yuan taking a drop.
    Probably we’ll see them around more often then before. Just saying.
    I’d still block all chinese IP. Just for kicks. If they are still doing it unblock them and block to the next suspect/country/IP.

Doobie

FYI, sending an email to the webmaster to delete the latest Chinese spam attacks. Such a nuissance! 😠

EDIT: There were two Chinese attacker ID members. One last nite that posted over 500 spam posts, and one this morning that posted a lot less, but is likely the same person once their profile was deleted, likely by the forum’s built-in spam detector. Unfortunately, only the initial attacker ID was deleted into cyberjail, and all the posts are still up.

Regardless, I just sent the email to the webmaster and copied in Brittany. All the spam posts should get cleared up soon guys.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Heavy carpet bombing last night and today,, it was going on about 7:30pm Hawaii time last night. At the speed it was happening it must have been a bot.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

@Doobie

Who is Brittany?

And could I get her email?

You can PM it if it doesn’t belong on the forum.

Thanks.

Goin' Down In Flames........

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

@doobie

Who is Brittany?

Thanks.

Here it is,, it’s been all over this site.
    Brittany.Buchanan@us.bosch.com

Dirty

Doobie

Who is Brittany?

She basically is the forum admin now replacing Jim Lillig who was let go in Feb 2018.

There were two Chinese attacker ID members. One last nite that posted over 500 spam posts, and one this morning that posted a lot less, but is likely the same person once their profile was deleted, likely by the forum’s built-in spam detector. Unfortunately, only the initial attacker ID was deleted into cyberjail, and all the posts are still up.

Regardless, I just sent the email to the webmaster…..

Turns out I should have sent my email late last nite when I first saw it happening. The webmaster replied earlier that normally she can just delete all the posts with one mouse click, but because the anti-spam blocked the first user’s ID, she has to go and delete all 500+ one at a time. Ugh!

Doobie

There’s another one that just started around 8PM EST. Webmaster has been notified.

Cheese what’s going on , must be some kind of conspiracy theory 🧐

I don’t know what they think they can accomplish by their actions. Being a PITA mostly. Besides, there is nothing wrong with good old fashion Spam, we don’t need the Chinese variety.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

@doobie

Who is Brittany?

Thanks.

Here it is,, it’s been all over this site.
    Brittany.Buchanan@us.bosch.com

Thank you.

I’ve been trying to contact Admin for a while.

‘Preciate it.

Goin' Down In Flames........

Doobie

There was another attack last nite. Caught it early and even though it was wee hours, the webmaster dealt with it once I sent the email to her.

Same guy who did the 500+ damage from the previous session where the webmaster had to remove one by one because it took too long to let her know about it as previously memtioned in this thread. Not fun for her. I saw it initially developing that night, but didn’t want to bother her at 1 AM in the morning and waited til the next day. By morning, it was over 500 posts and no longer an easy fix once the spam filter takes the member and tosses them into the forum’s built-in ‘cyberjail’. Once that happens, it is no longer a few mouse clicks to get rid of all the spam posts themselves and they have to be done one by one.

There is a new solution developing for this issue with multiple spam posts by the same spammer. I’ll post of such accordingly once enacted.

One of the things the webmaster says is that when one of these mass attackers targets a forum/site, and they see that the response time to erradicate is not always dealt with quickly, they just keep coming back. Stepping into action quickly is essential with these nefarious spammers.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

How did you get the webmasters contact info and how can we get it???

Dirty

Doobie

How did you get the webmasters contact info and how can we get it???

Jim connected me with her years ago with strict condition not to share her email address. Sorry.

I was going thru something that was an endless issue that Jim couldn’t fix himself and it just became much more effective to deal directly with her.

That was a good thing in hindsight now with knowing who she was and what she could do since Jim left for things that mods are poorly equiped to deal with never mind there’s hardly any active mods here now amyways. The odd spam, no prob….flag a mod. When these massive attacks started earlier this summer, I knew who to reach for rather than BTP mod/staff/admin as it is the webmaster who can quell this crap way easier and faster.

Chad has it also since earlier this year when dealing with something similar where I got permisssion from her to let him contact her.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

So they don’t want it stopped as soon a can.

Dirty

Doobie

So they don’t want it stopped as soon as can.

Yes, absolutely. It’s critical with things like these massive spam posts we’ve been getting on occasion since I began this thread.

Like I said more or less, other than me or Chad seeing them, there’s nobody else in charge seeing and being able to react to this nonsense.

I know Chad is busy, but is still a forum devotee. Anybody see mass spaming, feel free to email or PM me and I can do what I’ve been doing thru all this. It needs to get nixed ASAP as it starts out.

Just the way it is here right now and what we can do to help keep this forum unibridged with all this Chinese BS spam crap right now. Let’s work together guys.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

So they don’t want it stopped as soon as can.

Yes, absolutely. It’s critical with things like these massive spam posts we’ve been getting on occasion since I began this thread.

Like I said more or less, other than me or Chad seeing them, there’s nobody else in charge seeing and being able to react to this nonsense.

I know Chad is busy, but is still a forum devotee. Anybody see mass spaming, feel free to email or PM me and I can do what I’ve been doing thru all this. It needs to get nixed ASAP as it starts out.

Just the way it is here right now and what we can do to help keep this forum unibridged with all this Chinese BS spam crap right now. Let’s work together guys.

Nice to see your top of Kevin. If I see any I will let you know.

Greg

Doobie

Nice to see you’re on top of it Kevin. If I see any I will let you know.

That’s the idea. Please do and thanks!

All the attacks seem to happen late at nite to early morning hours, so they’re hard to catch before they get out of hand. The webmaster says the IP addresses being used are in places that are NOT recognized as rogue places like Russia or China, but it’s obvious they are really coming from someone in China and they’re simply using proxy servers to show a false point of origin.

Basically, the way the membership registration is designed is it is an actual human who is registering. But after that it is just a bot doing all the posts, and it is quick according to the webaster. A human couldn’t post that fast that much crap.

One of the ideas was to do a vetting of sorts of new members before allowing them to post anything, but that requires work from a human at BTP, either admin and/or mods. They (BTP) don’t want to take this route.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

A human couldn’t post that fast that much crap.

There has to be a joke hidden there LMFAO

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I’ll let ChadM know if I see them coming in. As far as you have no idea how to contact you and don’t want to know.

Dirty

Doobie

There is a new solution developing for this issue with multiple spam posts by the same spammer. I’ll post of such accordingly once enacted.

All spam or mass spam attacks can be directed to me now. I’ve just been granted full admin access to deal with this by BTP Admin and the Webmaster. My ID is also changed to mod to let others know who may be new to the forum that I can be used to send requests for regular individual spams and other stuff too.

With full admin access, it is a lot easier getting rid of all a mass attacks in one fell swoop as long as the forum’s automated system hasn’t posted the new spam user itself in the quasi ‘cyberjail’ yet. Once that happens, it’s a PITA to deal with. So again, expedience in catching a potential mass spammer is important. This is a lot easier than contacting me than other mods who would have to do this one post at a time. When there’s hundreds of them, it is not reasonable to ask a mod to spend hours deleting them one by one.

I’m not on the forum every hour of day. but I’m here at least multiple times a day. Anything sent @Doobie I would get on all my devices via email. And please bear with me, there’s a lot to learn with navigating the admin portal. The webmaster has only given me some basic guidance tonite just so I can get the bare essentials executed.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.620 seconds