dcsimg

Chinese Spam Attacks!

This topic contains 20 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Sorpa 2 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Doobie
    Pro

Twice now in the last few days there have been pretty big Chinese SPAM attacks on the forum. The first one was caught in progress lasting maybe an hour where there were 100s of posts. The webmaster was notified by myself and she deleted their ID along with all their posts.

This morning when I logged on there was another one when I logged on at 5:30 AM EST, but this one stopped around 4AM after about 60 posts under a new member ID. Looks like it started late last nite.

I’ve sent another notification to the webmaster, but she’s likely still in bed at this hour and won’t be able to delete them all til she reads my email. I’ve CC’d Brittany, and the bethepro main email as well, so anybody at Bosch should be aware of this also. The webmaster is a third party outsource.

DO NOT TAG ANY MODS FOR THIS. THIS JOB IS FOR THE WEBMASTER/Bosch to deal with. A mod can only trash each post one at a time if I’m not mistaken and this would take them forever for something like this.

In the meantime, be patient. This should all be cleaned up sometime this morning.

The nefarious new member is this jackass….

https://bethepro.com/members/asfdgdfggh06/points-history/

Feel free to PM them your best wishes before the webmaster gets a hold of them and trashes their ID. Hehehe… 😉

Doobie
    Pro

Webmaster has just trashed all the posts and removed the nefarious new Chinese member.

But I suspect they’ll be back again.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Block the IP for the whole country or region.
    Those morons are frickingly annoying.

Doobie
    Pro

Block the IP for the whole country or region.
    Those morons are frickingly annoying.

The culprit(s), which we are assuming is the same person/entity each time, is ‘spoofing’ according to the webmaster. Basically, and this is me talking, I think it involves using a ‘proxy server’ to mask where your IP really is. But gee kids…where do you think it’s actually coming from? Yes, the land of gunpowder and Walmart providing factories.

Both the first two locations were from what the spam filter algorithms doesn’t recognize as a known ‘bad’ region of the world where it tends to ‘auto-block’ these kinds of activities (one of them in fact showedd a US source IP), they just keep moving their IP location each time basically what I understand is ‘Ghosting’.

Email has been sent to the webmaster. Clean up duties coming soon. Patience folks. DO NOT PM ANY MODS.

I just don’t understand why these jerks keep doing something like this. I just don’t! What’s the point if it gets caught and axed each time. And this is not ‘bots’ doing this. This is an individual or a group doing this, likely the same entity each time this past week. Get a life man!!!!

….and now a third time I see. Do they think they’re getting anywhere with this?

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Doobie
    Pro

….and now a third time I see. Do they think they’re getting anywhere with this?

That’s just it, what do(es) it/they gain? I don’t understand that part.

Is it they/it think(s) do(es) it to gain traffic to what they/it are selling/promoting? Or is it just a ‘post’ count they try to monetize to earn more money by having more hitable locations on the WWW that they benefit by? I suppose those are both the same thing anyways.

One day….I hope for the sake of our children….things like this are more readily identifiable as to who/what are complicit in such things, and is punishable by more than some lame penalty such as just having your nefarious garbage tossed. But then look at how social media has been arguably partnered with election manipulations around the world. Much graver, and that has gone not much further than a finger waggin’ of sorts in redress by politicos and the press. We’re friggin doomed as such in our ‘Information Age’.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

I don’t understand either.
    I don’t understand why I’m called from BC and spoken in chinese. That was 6-7 months ago. I blocked a boat load of numbers. Then I got calls from US. Same spoken logograms. Blocked a lot.
    Then I got/still have for a couple of months, calls with a Montreal number. Same unarticulated language. Blocked a lot again.If I don’t answer they leave messages.

Doobie
    Pro

I don’t understand either.
    I don’t understand why I’m called from BC and spoken in chinese. That was 6-7 months ago. I blocked a boat load of numbers. Then I got calls from US. Same spoken logograms. Blocked a lot.
    Then I got/still have for a couple of months, calls with a Montreal number. Same unarticulated language. Blocked a lot again.If I don’t answer they leave messages.

Now that you say that, I just realized those chinese robo-calls have stopped since maybe a month or more now. We were getting those calls on all our cell phones at least once a week since last year or so. No idea what they were sayin.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

DO NOT PM ANY MODS.

Why not PM a mod and let them deal with it???

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

DO NOT PM ANY MODS.

That’s what Chad had told me to do…

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Doobie
    Pro

Would you want to go and delete one by one what were close to maybe 500 spam posts we had this week by what was likely the same person? That’s not reasonable. The webmaster can do this in a few mouse clicks AND delete the spammers forum ID AND also work to assess how to best guard against future mass attacks from this kind of spammer. She has no issue doing this, that’s part of what she’s there for.

For normal single post spam, we definitely should continue to report to mods those occasinal fairly innofensive spam posts. This past week was quite different in nature and required such actions direct from the webmaster. The webmaster said the faster we act with these kinds of mass spam attacks the better as it works to discourage them coming back and doing again. Eventually they give up and move on.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

DO NOT PM ANY MODS.

Doobie wants to be incharge of the BTP site now,, It’s his baby. Why let the mods their job when he can do it so much better lmao!!!
    For all new spam just tag doobie and he take care of it,,,

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

CB
    Pro

DO NOT PM ANY MODS.

Doobie wants to be incharge of the BTP site now,, It’s his baby. Why let the mods their job when he can do it so much better lmao!!!

I can’t figure out how to start my own topics anymore, but the topic of Chinese spam is related enough to add the following wrinkle to the problem:

I have now received several emails from Chinese suppliers related to construction supplies, including one offering units of white melamine MDF just today, but the materials offered in previous emails include metal, not just processed wood pulp products.

I can trace these emails back to the BTP forums by virtue of the email address that “Lisa” , as an example, used to contact me. My isp provides many throw away email addresses, so I can use a separate email address for each online activity, which enables me to track things like this.

Do you guys remember Lisa? She was a BTP member here, whose only posting purpose was spamming. Only I thought here spams were limited to the message board. Turns out, despite my election not to share my throw away email address, she somehow was able to infiltrate BTP’s web or forum host servers and extracted it.

Has this happened to any of you?

Remember Lisa? She is a BTP member here

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

DO NOT PM ANY MODS.

I can’t figure out how to start my own topics anymore, but the topic of Chinese spam is related enough to add the following wrinkle to the problem:

I have now received several emails from Chinese suppliers related to construction supplies, including one offering units of white melamine MDF just today, but the materials offered in previous emails include metal, not just processed wood pulp products.

I can trace these emails back to the BTP forums by virtue of the email address that “Lisa” , as an example, used to contact me. My isp provides many throw away email addresses, so I can use a separate email address for each online activity, which enables me to track things like this.

Do you guys remember Lisa? She was a BTP member here, whose only posting purpose was spamming. Only I thought here spams were limited to the message board. Turns out, despite my election not to share my throw away email address, she somehow was able to infiltrate BTP’s web or forum host servers and extracted it.

Has this happened to any of you?

Remember Lisa? She is a BTP member here

I don’t remember Lisa. How long ago was she a member on BTP?

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

Doobie
    Pro

Do you guys remember Lisa?

Vaguely. How long ago?

She was a BTP member here, whose only posting purpose was spamming. Only I thought here spams were limited to the message board. Turns out, despite my election not to share my throw away email address, she somehow was able to infiltrate BTP’s web or forum host servers and extracted it.

More likely just a coincidence. Unless somebody else has experienced the same thing here. Then again, there’s a lot of that kinda of stuff that happens on the internet with getting email spam.

Doobie
    Pro

Just so all are aware, the latest attacker has just been emailed to the webmaster.

https://bethepro.com/members/ksdjfklllsdfkld03/

Should be all gone at some point when she gets round-to-it.

At least they’re getting smaller and less frequent.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Just so all are aware, the latest attacker has just been emailed to the webmaster.

I didn’t know there was more attacks.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

At least they’re getting smaller

How do you know these Chinese spammers are getting smaller? Are they hungry and not having enough to eat and losing weight LOL?

Doobie
    Pro

I didn’t know there was more attacks.

Yep. Little small one today. 8 or 10 posts all in Chinese giberish. I just don’t understand what they hope to gain myself. Bloody nuissance!

Doobie
    Pro

At least they’re getting smaller

How do you know these Chinese spammers are getting smaller? Are they hungry and not having enough to eat and losing weight LOL?

Hardy-har-har! 😅

Here’s a pic of the attacker.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.537 seconds