dcsimg

Child Stair Gates

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    woodman_412

One of the first priorities after moving on the weekend was to get some gates installed on the stairs in the new house. I came up with some post wraps that let me mount the gates without doing any damage to the oak posts. I got one installed yesterday and the second one installed this morning. I still have to build wraps for the bottom of both sets of stairs but I focused on getting the tops of the stairs done first. The bottoms of the stairs will be similar but one side will have to mount to the wall.

For these wraps I assembled 3 of the sides and then slid it on the post. Once it was on the post I just screwed the forth side on to create a complete box. I sized everything so that it was a tight fit so there is no slop at all and it actually clamps tight to the posts. The gates just screwed to the plywood of the post wraps and left the finished oak posts untouched.

Dan

danpattison.com

yellaD
    Pro

Smart move, Dan. I see your dilemna, you can’t attach that to the oak posts! I love your solution and it turned out great! Did you consider painting or staining a different color? Just wondering…

woodman_412

Smart move, Dan. I see your dilemna, you can’t attach that to the oak posts! I love your solution and it turned out great! Did you consider painting or staining a different color? Just wondering…

Thanks Andy. I did think about staining or painting them and it would have looked nice but time was of the essence to get them installed. This week has been pretty crazy after the move just trying to get unpacked and settled in. If I have some spare time at some point I could always put some stain on them but once the girls are old enough the gates will be coming off anyway so they aren’t really a permanent fixture.

Dan

danpattison.com

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Nice fix, Dan, they look really secure.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

It looks like it is doing the job.
    It would look better using some solid wood on full length on all 4 sides and some molding or rout a edge on the top. Stain to match.

woodman_412

It looks like it is doing the job.
    It would look better using some solid wood on full length on all 4 sides and some molding or rout a edge on the top. Stain to match.

That would look nice Ron. I used some left over birch plywood that I had from a job to make these ones. Function and speed were much more important than aesthetics on this project.

Dan

danpattison.com

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Function and speed were much more important than aesthetics on this project.

You definitely achieved that! I actually think they could look really good also with a bit of dressing up, but as you said…getting them installed was the most important! Nice job Dan!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

woodman_412

Function and speed were much more important than aesthetics on this project.

You definitely achieved that! I actually think they could look really good also with a bit of dressing up, but as you said…getting them installed was the most important! Nice job Dan!

Thanks Jon! I used pocket hole screws to assemble the 3 sides so that there were a minimum of fasteners exposed. The forth side got attached with screws in countersunk holes that I measured out so they were uniform in placement. So I did care about aesthetics to some degree but not enough to make them any more elaborate. I gave them a good sand too and broke all the corners, didn’t want splinters in any little hands.

Dan

danpattison.com

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I did about the same thing when our children were young. No one wants to screw into a finished post. Interesting how similar solutions come about years apart and a long way from each other. Great solution for a common problem. Most people would ues the compression gates and loosen their posts with the pressure over time.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

That is a well thought out idea , great job ! Better to be safe than sorry .

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Good job Dan. most people would just screw it in the posts and call it a day.
    and later on they have a dilemma repairing the posts.
    looks like a solid installation!

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Great idea, i would’ve just screwed it in to the post and then complained about fixing it afterwards lol, i’ll have to keep this in mind when I have kids.

woodman_412

We’re renting this house so coming up with a no damage solution was a must. The landlord was impressed with the solution. I’ll post some pics when I get the gates mounted for the bottom of the stairs. One of them will be a little more complex with how the railing is set up.

Dan

danpattison.com

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

We’re renting this house so coming up with a no damage solution was a must. The landlord was impressed with the solution. I’ll post some pics when I get the gates mounted for the bottom of the stairs. One of them will be a little more complex with how the railing is set up.

Most landlords don’t have the luxury of their tenant being so kind…or knowing what the heck they are doing. I’ve been the guy responsible for fixing tenant’s screw ups many times….its mind boggling what an ignorant person will do to “fix” something.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Doobie

That is an excellent solution Dan.

The only thing I may have added to something like that would be to gasket somehow the interior so that the finish on the wood post doesn’t scuff itself over time with the little munchkins pulling at the gates as we all know they tend to do sometimes furiously on occasion for whatever reason they want our attention.

Something maybe like cut up inner tube in between the interior of the post wrap and the finished surface may have done the trick. Of course other materials may even prove better as a protective gasket.

Great thinking there Dan! That’s pretty considerate of the landlord’s property too. Nice way to take care of your children’s security with stairs like that. It makes for less nervous parents for sure.

CrpntrFeak
    Pro
    Globe, AZ

Holy cow that is genius!

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

We’re renting this house so coming up with a no damage solution was a must.

That’s a great set up for the little guy. Man that’s a nice place you’re renting. A place like that would cost at least 3,000 a month over here.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Doobie

We’re renting this house so coming up with a no damage solution was a must.

That’s a great set up for the little guy. Man that’s a nice place you’re renting. A place like that would cost at least 3,000 a month over here.

That’s along the lines of what we’d charge here on the low end. Lease/rentals are ridiculous here.

Decent mall slice space is $10K a month PLUS a cut from your sales typically. Makes it tough for a newbie retailer to take on.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Nice job on the safety gates Dan. Can’t wait to see the other gate you put up.
    Got to keep the little girls safe.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.433 seconds