dcsimg

Check Out this Customized Van-up

Viewing 12 posts - 21 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

OK that thing could be a really cool toy hauler with a fresh coat of paint. Is the bed big enough for your RZR to fit on Dabbs?

It’d be close, I’m not sure if it even has a tailgate but on a normal 8′ pickup box ya have to flip it down. Our RZR’s are 8.5′ overall length

How large of an engine does it have? 460 big block?

Exactly right, Also found out it’s a 1989 with 120,000 miles

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve never seen one of those before.
    It looks like a mini semi.

I’ve been searching it a bit and talked to my buddy again and that’s exactly what they’re referred to as, Kind of it’s nickname. A Mini Semi LOL

I think they used to used to sell those in a cab and chassis to fleet customers for custom big box van bodies. Looks like a van customizer outfit bought some to make a unique tow vehicle.

I think yer right Bill, Probably for like those mini buses or class ‘C’ campers. He told me the name of the aftermarket company but I didn’t catch the spelling, Something like ‘Caliebria’.

Also found out it doesn’t have 2 more captain chairs in the back, It’s a bench seat that folds into a bed….Coool!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Just make sure you fix/replace those paisley seat covers, okay? :-)

edit: I just looked again, it isn’t paisley, looks more like motorcycles. My comment stands. 😀

He said the seats were reupholstered somewhat lately and are in great condition, I kinda like the bikes pattern LOL. But that’s just me 🙂

I admit it has some cool factor…but man it needs some love to update it just a bit.

Leave it the way it is ….. call it “retro” and double the price!

I talked to him yesterday about it, He just bought it for $2000. It’s not 4 wheel drive, And said it looks a bit better in the pic than in real life. I guess the graphics are faded and does need some TLC, He figures to make it super clean/cool it’ll need another $2000 to be perfect. Not sure what all he meant by that

Bottom line, whatever I’d end up in it ($4000+) it’s still an 89 with 120,000 miles on a 460 Ford engine/tranny. Would it be worth it? Probably not but the cool factor may override practicality LOL

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

It just keeps on sounding better and better. The cool factor is off the chart. There area whole pile of class Cs and As too with that 460 still on the road.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

I talked to him yesterday about it, He just bought it for $2000. It’s not 4 wheel drive, And said it looks a bit better in the pic than in real life. I guess the graphics are faded and does need some TLC, He figures to make it super clean/cool it’ll need another $2000 to be perfect. Not sure what all he meant by that

Bottom line, whatever I’d end up in it ($4000+) it’s still an 89 with 120,000 miles on a 460 Ford engine/tranny. Would it be worth it? Probably not but the cool factor may override practicality LOL

For me, if a project can make me back the money I put into it then I would go for it. The body and chassis date back to the 70’s and working on them is pretty easy. Not that versed in Ford stuff but the engine may still have a carb but the fuel injection of the time was much simpler than it is now. If it has fuel injection and that’s giving you trouble you can put a regular carb and a regulator for the fuel pressure.

I was looking online and some of the earlier Vanup’s had a regular pickup bed. This one looks custom to match the rear cab portion.

The prices people are asking for the couple I’ve seen are in the range you would be spending.

If you can do all the work yourself then that $2000 may be less but if you find more problems it could be more.

Since it’s at your house, see if you can do a compression test and drive it round the neighborhood to see how it runs.

There seems to be a couple of companies making these. El Dorado and Centurian. Not sure if the companies are around and how hard it is to find replacement parts.

Not sure if there are any forums on these specifically for Vanups. The stuff I found was on van sites.

The biggest thing for me and I always ask this to myself before I start a project is:

Will I be willing to keep this forever if no one wants to buy it?

Anonymous
    Inactive

If it has fuel injection and that’s giving you trouble you can put a regular carb and a regulator for the fuel pressure.

I would guess it’d have a throttle body fuel injection, There would be a little more to it to go back to carb. Other than what you mention it would need a mid to late 70’s ECM to do away with stuff like the throttle position censor, Crank censor blah blah blah. Personally I wouldn’t go back to a carb, Been there done that on a 82 Ford Bronco with their ‘Better idea’ of the variable venturi carb. Of course that was during the transitional period of computerized systems, They all sucked back then LOL

As far as looking at it as a project NOT to lose money on. Well, I’d have to look at it as a unique tow truck/toy. Although I have made money on some toys by putting a ton of work in them but Most of the toys I’ve ever had didn’t earn me money LOL.

The biggest thing for me and I always ask this to myself before I start a project is:

Will I be willing to keep this forever if no one wants to buy it?

That’s a very wise way to think about it, But once in a while ya just have to say wth. If ya want it bad enough it doesn’t matter 🙂

The truck is not at my house anymore, Since I didn’t make a decision he picked it up last night. I still love it though dang it LOL, Makes me wish I would have went home and looked it over better.

The truck is not at my house anymore, Since I didn’t make a decision he picked it up last night. I still love it though dang it LOL, Makes me wish I would have went home and looked it over better.

If you feel the deal is good, I’d go check it out throughly. Nothing sucks more than feeling like you blew a good deal.

Anonymous
    Inactive

If you feel the deal is good, I’d go check it out throughly. Nothing sucks more than feeling like you blew a good deal.

Yikes, That doesn’t help me LOL. I’m thinking I’m not in the mood to mess with it at this time, He’ll probably let me know when he gets tired of it LOL. He was talking about keeping it too so we’ll see

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

It looks like it needs to go to Counts Customs for the complete makeover deal. Turn Horny Mike loose on it and have some horns put on it.

Yikes, That doesn’t help me LOL. I’m thinking I’m not in the mood to mess with it at this time, He’ll probably let me know when he gets tired of it LOL. He was talking about keeping it too so we’ll see

Sorry Boyd. Just going off past experience in letting some good deals go because I was on the fence too long and kicked myself afterwards.

But then who knows, if he cannot find a buyer and just want’s to get rid of it you may score a deal.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

It looks like it needs to go to Counts Customs for the complete makeover deal. Turn Horny Mike loose on it and have some horns put on it.

They would do it up right if your pockets are that deep. And some of Horny Mikes horns would be really cool on it.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

An old dock yard by me used to have one just like that. They would use it to move boats around the yard

Viewing 12 posts - 21 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.430 seconds