dcsimg

Cheap SDS+ bits?

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Thanks, I think I’ll skip these and save up for some Bosch bits, good thing I’m not going for max eh?

I would also be careful about chipping Ice on the front steps. You could easily end up chipping concrete. I would stick with a hand scraper or ice chisel. A rotary hammer would be overkill.

The ice I want to chip isn’t the regular white mushy refrozen snow. I have a spot on the front steps that sun melted snow from roof drips onto and form several inch thick see through ice. I can smash it with a sharpened ice spade and it barely leaves a white mark. Currently I have no choice but to leave it alone till it’s warm enough to soften it. If I go through this route I’ll shoot a video.

Perhaps it’s time to route the drips elsewhere to change the spot the drip lands on or heated steps.

It has to do with the shape/design of the roof (which is stupid but nothing I can do), usually its caught by gutter but in winter sun melted snow fills the gutter with ice first and the overflow is dripped down. Not sure its possible to reroute it.

Doobie

It has to do with the shape/design of the roof (which is stupid but nothing I can do), usually its caught by gutter but in winter sun melted snow fills the gutter with ice first and the overflow is dripped down. Not sure its possible to reroute it.

Sounds like the gutter is not sloped properly or has too long to travel to downspout.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Sounds like the gutter is not sloped properly or has too long to travel to downspout.

Not sure. But with several thaw/freeze days even the downspout is iced up, so any water in gutter really has nowhere to go.

Doobie

Not sure. But with several thaw/freeze days even the downspout is iced up, so any water in gutter really has nowhere to go.

I think they sell heater wires you can put in a gutter to prevent that from happening.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

I think they sell heater wires you can put in a gutter to prevent that from happening.

Yep I’ve seen those as well. But it just strikes me as wasteful to dump electricity outside when it’s -15 out. The only real problem is the ice spot due to shape of roof, so if I can just chip the ice off once a week then I’m happy.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Yep I’ve seen those as well. But it just strikes me as wasteful to dump electricity outside when it’s -15 out. The only real problem is the ice spot due to shape of roof, so if I can just chip the ice off once a week then I’m happy.

perhaps a solar panel just for that purpose might be good. As for wasteful I am sure you won’t find it wasteful the first time you slip on that patch of ice lol.

Doobie

perhaps a solar panel just for that purpose might be good. As for wasteful I am sure you won’t find it wasteful the first time you slip on that patch of ice lol.

Isn’t that getting kinda of pricey to get a solar panel just for that?

Read this article by Tom Silva on the issue Jie…

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/asktoh/question/0,,1576664,00.html

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Isn’t that getting kinda of pricey to get a solar panel just for that?

Read this article by Tom Silva on the issue Jie…

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/asktoh/question/0,,1576664,00.html

Thanks, I’ll crawl into the attic and check the vent. Shouldn’t be that though, it’s only the south facing side of the roof that does this. The roof and vent actually have been replaced just last year, but the contractor left enough small mistakes that I’m not confident he did the vent right.

Doobie

it’s only the south facing side of the roof that does this.

It could be the problem still. The south side gets the most sun in winter and along with the poor overall venting inside, it’s just enough to cause the problem on the one south side and not the other side(s).

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.366 seconds