dcsimg

Changing home inside doors

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author

I personally thing it is metal frame door. I dont see a moulding also. But you should def put new mouldings with the doors. Looks 100 times better and def rip the old frames out and get a prehung door cu opening the hinges takes lot of time. If you start hanging prehung door its pretty simple but when you try to use old casing with new door there is always problem. Also keep this in mind back in the days doors size where diffrent a bit not much but it is diffrent sizes thats gonna cause problems and you gonna need lot more tools. And lot of fine adjustment. Better of go with prehung @dragon2131 welcome to the forum

The best end result would be to replace with all new prehung doors, although a bit of patience with a chisel (and a cheap door knob cutout jig from HD) is enough to do a decent job just hanging a new door.

Expect to have to get a custom sized door though if you want to do that. A new pre-hung will be more likely to get you to standard sizes

Just checked and this is wooden framing, I am just not sure how exactly the framing was done… I guess I’ll figure out when I will do the job. As for the molding, see this picture I am not sur what I should do with that door. How should I finish the gyprock with the new frame cause I don’t really have any space for molding.

Just checked and this is wooden framing, I am just not sure how exactly the framing was done… I guess I’ll figure out when I will do the job. As for the molding, see this picture I am not sur what I should do with that door. How should I finish the gyprock with the new frame cause I don’t really have any space for molding.

Can you measure the space from the edge of the doorway to the corner for each of those two doors?

Is there a way to make it a shared trim?

Attachments:

I have a question, how long have you owned this home, I’m guessing this house is over 30 years old?
    It’s hard to see in some of the pictures, but it almost looks like, someone may have just placed new sheeting of jips over the existing finish, that’s why it’s giving the effects of a metal frame? They just butted up against the trim,
    Is their anyway to see what is behind the jip someplace?

Can you remove a small piece of the door trim?

I have seen many weird things in my years of working on homes, just a thought

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I would pull the whole door frame out and replace with a prehung door. You need to measure the thickness of the wall and order the jambs to be the same size. In other words the new wood jamb would come flush with the drywall on both sides. Maybe even 1/16″ bigger. Then the casing(trim) will nail on and cover the gaps.

Yes my home is 1986 construction. I will remove a part of the door trim to see what’s behind. I will do that this week-end and let you know. As most has mentionned I will get prehung door and make sure the jamb be has thick has my wall is.

For the share trim I think it could be a very good idea!

Yes my home is 1986 construction. I will remove a part of the door trim to see what’s behind. I will do that this week-end and let you know. As most has mentionned I will get prehung door and make sure the jamb be has thick has my wall is.

For the share trim I think it could be a very good idea!

Oh okay, I thought it might have been older, and they just added a layer of jips to cover up some sort of finish that was more work to remove than to add the extra layer, but I don’t think this would be the case, the house is not that old.
    Looking forward to seeing what you under cover.

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.453 seconds