dcsimg

Changing home inside doors

This topic contains 26 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Brian Boschmanbrian 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Hello guys,

First post here, my english might me bad at some times cause I am french Canadian :). I am starting to do more and more stuff by myselft around the house. I want to replace my doors that don’t close very good and look crappy with new pine wood doors. I am not sure how to proceed… i also want to replace the frame around the door with wood also so it will fit the new doors. Should I just remove the door stops and level and nail new frame on top of the other (see picture of the kit I want to buy which include pre drilled jambs and headers and door stop). Sorry it might look a little bit stupid but it’s my first time doing this and have very little knowledge about it. Let me know how you would attack this project. thanks a lot :)!!

Profile photo of Éric
    Montreal_Medic
    Pro
    Montreal, Quebec

salut Dragon

You would be better getting a door to fit the existing jamb, either by shaving it down a bit or by beefing it up with some extra pieces. You dont want the doorway any smaller than it has to be.

If the jamb is really out of plumb – on parle de vraiement croche… you can tear it out and go to a pre-hung door. But if its pretty good, you can shim a few corrections into it and swap out the doors easily enough

Now, If you want to replace the jambs, I suggest you just either make new jambs yourself (not hard) or buy a pre-hung door. Its a few bucks more, but you save a lot of time and the results are good. I wouldnt just add a new jamb to the existing one and make the door smaller.

Also, will you be painting the door? If you will, you can easily add a strip to each side to make the door a little bit wider if thats what you need

Aussi, nous avons une page dediée aux introductions
    https://bethepro.com/forums/topic/introduce-yourself-v3-0/
    Tell us a little about yourself. Tu viens du Chicoutimi?

Thanks for all info :), yes I am from Chicoutimi!!

I get your point about keeping the existing jamb which are not that out of plumb but they are painted white and I would like the jamb to be like my new doors (wooden doors). I was aiming more at dye and varnish them, what do you think? If you take a look at my picture of existing jamb there is no molding around it so I am not sure how the gypsum is finished around the jamb. If I install a new wooden jamb, would I have to install molding to have clean finish around the door?

Merci pour la réponse !!

Profile photo of Éric
    Montreal_Medic
    Pro
    Montreal, Quebec

If you tear out the old jamb, you will be cutting into the gyprock, so you will need to put in a trim too. But thats pretty simple of a job and will help hide any mistakes you might make

Making it nice wood stain is always nice, but if you just leave what is there painted the same as the walls, it still will look good, or white if you put in a nice trim

In your place, I would keep the old jamb and do a nice trim with a header (no miter 45 degree cuts) in white and paint the jamb that same white. You can always sand it smooth first so it looks new

With a nice door, it will look great, and isn’t a big job

And if you have anything you arent as clear saying in english, n’hesites pas – je suis quebecois aussi

Merci! Oui tu as raison ça serait plus facile de conserver le cadre existant c’est juste que je pensais que le résultat serait moins beau mais je vais surment essayer ça quand même. Si je dois faire couper ma porte à la quincaillerie je mesure l’ouverture de mon cadre dans le haut, bas et milieu et je prends la plus petite mesure et je fais enlever une clairance de combien? Pour la moulure ça serait bien comme tu me disais de faire mais si tu regardes la première photo mais porte arrivent dans le coins de mon passage et j’ai peu d’espace dans le coin ou les deux portes se rencontrent.

Bye!

Profile photo of Éric
    Montreal_Medic
    Pro
    Montreal, Quebec

Merci! Oui tu as raison ça serait plus facile de conserver le cadre existant c’est juste que je pensais que le résultat serait moins beau mais je vais surment essayer ça quand même. Si je dois faire couper ma porte à la quincaillerie je mesure l’ouverture de mon cadre dans le haut, bas et milieu et je prends la plus petite mesure et je fais enlever une clairance de combien? Pour la moulure ça serait bien comme tu me disais de faire mais si tu regardes la première photo mais porte arrivent dans le coins de mon passage et j’ai peu d’espace dans le coin ou les deux portes se rencontrent.

Bye!

Pour les mesures de ta nouvelle porte, prends les dimensions de l’ancien porte (incluant les positions du pongée et des charnières. Done.

Pour ta moulure, aucun probleme – je recommande une style qui d’appele un Boston Header. Ca rentre facilement dans un coin serée et tu peux facilement acheter au Rona/Réno et installer toi-meme. Une fois, j’ai vu qqun qui avait decidé d’avoir seulement un header pour les deux portes du coin. Pas à mon gout, mais….

Quick translation:
    I thought I would replace the existing jamb, because the end result would look nicer, but using the existing would be easier. Maybe I will try.
    How do I measure the door?
    For the molding, how do you suggest I handle the tight corner where the two doors meet

Quick translation of reply:
    Door measurement is by measuring old door provided it fits well
    For molding, Boston Header should have room to fit. I also saw one guy make a single top piece that covered both doors. Not my taste, but it did look very decent.

Profile photo of Ron
    roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Is that door jamb metal? It kinda looks like it could be.

Profile photo of Warren
    Warren6810
    Pro
    Akron, OH

Is that door jamb metal? It kinda looks like it could be.

I am wondering the same thing. Definitely want to check for that first before buying any doors.

Profile photo of Ron
    roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

If you have a magnet see if it sticks to the door frame.

Profile photo of Éric
    Montreal_Medic
    Pro
    Montreal, Quebec

If you have a magnet see if it sticks to the door frame.

Good point, although Ive never seen metal used in interior construction here in Quebec, it is possible. Chicoutimi is historically a wood industry town though (pulp and paper, sawmills, lots of softwood) so most contruction takes advantage of local meterials

The hinge mortising looks like it was done with a chisel in wood though. But better safe than sorry

Profile photo of Ron
    roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I have only seen metal frames dry walled in like that. Maybe this is a condo or apartment building? I also see the door in there now has had the top added onto. I am thinking someone changed the door and the new hinge didn’t fit right. I may be wrong but still think it is a metal frame and they are buggers to get out.

Profile photo of Austin
    Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

We had a really good thread a couple months ago about setting new doors if that’s the route you want to take. I will try and dig it up.

Edit
    Found it

https://bethepro.com/forums/topic/jlc-tutorial-how-to-hang-an-interior-door/

Profile photo of Ken
    keko
    Pro

keep in mind if you change just the doors themselves you will have to chisel in the hinges. you will also have to drill the door locks it would be easier to get prehung doors if you have never done anything like that before.

Profile photo of Jon
    jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

It looks like a metal frame to me as well…

FWIW, I would recommend installing a prehung unit as opposed to a slab and separate frame. Much easier!

Jon P.
    Walnut Builders, LLC

https://www.facebook.com/WalnutBuilders

Profile photo of Brian
    brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

If they are metal frames, could you just hang new wood doors in the existing frames, and paint the frames a color that kind of matches or coordinates with your stained doors?

Hey guys, thanks for all the answer. I am at work right now but yeah I will definitely check if this is a metal frame with a magnet. I will let you know if this is metal framing.

Thanks again for the help

In reply to roninohio

Yes I changed the flooring and had to cut the door but I cut it too much and had to add this part on the top and it really looks like crap lol but I was already planning to change them. I repainted the three doors and frames 3 years ago but I think I might have switch the doors and with the new layer of paints all the doors don’t close really well and are super loud when opening or closing lol . I want to replace all of them!!

Profile photo of BeThePro Staff
    bethepro
    Keymaster
    Mt Prospect, IL

@dragon2131 welcome to the forum.

Jim
    Community Manager

Email us at bethepro@bethepro.com

Thanks for the welcome :)! Great forum!

I personally thing it is metal frame door. I dont see a moulding also. But you should def put new mouldings with the doors. Looks 100 times better and def rip the old frames out and get a prehung door cu opening the hinges takes lot of time. If you start hanging prehung door its pretty simple but when you try to use old casing with new door there is always problem. Also keep this in mind back in the days doors size where diffrent a bit not much but it is diffrent sizes thats gonna cause problems and you gonna need lot more tools. And lot of fine adjustment. Better of go with prehung @dragon2131 welcome to the forum

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)

You must login or register for the Pro Forum to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.387 seconds