dcsimg

cedar lining

This topic contains 31 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  wbembrid 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 32 total)
  • Author

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Okay, planning on a couple of cedar lining closets.

Anyone do them recently? Last time I did one I installed it horizontally with some brad nails into the studs and occasional glue.

On this one coming up I think Im going vertical so there will be a lot less brads and more glue.

That has me thinking……..Is it worth laying beads of adhesive with a caulking gun or something that can be troweled with some notches?

What would be a good product?

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I would vote for a troweled adhesive. It would be more of a uniform thickness and easier to install over than thicker beads of adhesive.

This Titebond product comes to mind: http://www.titebond.com/product.aspx?id=d20b39a8-adca-4ba0-86ee-0bd6cf34af3e

While I haven’t used it for your specific application, I’m sure it would work just fine…its some seriously sticky stuff.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Thanks Jon Good call, perfect.

Now finding it in a timely fashion

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

CB
    Pro

How thick are the cedar planks? How deep or well shaped is the tongue and groove? The cedar planks that are sold by the box are so horribly milled, I stopped installing them. Curious if you are getting planks custom milled?

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

I lined our foyer closet with cedar from a lumber supplier. Smelt great for the first few years. I did it primarily for the bug repellence attributes of cedar which I discovered years later were not true. At least it looks nice.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

How thick are the cedar planks? How deep or well shaped is the tongue and groove? The cedar planks that are sold by the box are so horribly milled, I stopped installing them. Curious if you are getting planks custom milled?

These are thin veneer tongue and groove and your probably right, if I recall the last time I did these the end jointing was not great.

But you have to remember, most people dont examine things like we do.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

@topnotch, you should be able to pick it up at a box store. Its sold as a flooring product, so its likely in that general area.

Edit: Scratch that…its a paneling adhesive!

Jon P.
    Instagram

CB
    Pro

The last time I installed a cedar closet lining, the thin planks were so warped longitudinally, shaped like a boomerang, I had to cut them in half (from 4′ to 2′) so that the tongues would engage in the grooves along the length of the plank. Instead of running a random plank pattern left to right, I ran a front to back pattern, all same length, with no mid plank breaks. I didn’t bother going up the walls at that point.

After I gave up on those boxed plank kits, I started using 1 x 4 solid cedar boards as ledgers for the closet pole cleats and shelf (instead of MDF). I’d sand the cedar, and when the job was done, the smell of cedar lingered in the closet air. I have no idea for how long though.

No one is asking for cedar lined closets anymore. Not like back in the 80’s, when that was all the rage. Nowadays, everyone wants perfectly good and serviceable cabinets taken out, and replaced with cheaply made cabinets from China that aren’t as “dated looking” as the good solid domestic wood cabinets they are replacing… “so the house will sell”.

All looks and no substance. That’s why those cedar closet liner kits are so frustrating to work with. Not sure which would be thinner… the planks in that kit, or a coat of cedar colored paint, with cedar tree oil added for aroma.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

How thick is the cedar in those kits? And is it oily cedar they offer?

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I would think horizontally to hit as many studs as I could. Will you take don the drywall first?

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Clev08
    Pro

@topnotch, you should be able to pick it up at a box store. Its sold as a flooring product, so its likely in that general area.

I have used the FRP version of the glue and it worked really well, troweling is definitely the way to go in most scenarios.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I have used the FRP version of the glue and it worked really well, troweling is definitely the way to go in most scenarios.

Good to Know. Did you still nail it? Through Drywall just to help hold in place and the occasional stud nail or just when you had a stud.

Im more concerned since I maybe doing it vertically opposed to perpendicular to studs.

@dirtywhiteboy I am adding 3/8″ drywall to the new walls for backing.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

I would think horizontally to hit as many studs as I could. Will you take don the drywall first?

I used long brads when I put up mine onto the a half inch ply backer over the drywall with no adhesive at all. I even have coat hooks all over mine. It’s been up for around 15 years and never had a problem. I went with these detacheable coat hooks I bought at LV as this closet is also the access to our attic trap.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/hardware/page.aspx?p=49295&cat=3,40914,50426

I still need to finish trim the ends…..bad Doobie!

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Why do people put cedar in their closets??

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

So the moths don’t eat their wool clothing. Not that anyone owns much pure wool clothing any more.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Here were my reasons…..

I lined our foyer closet with cedar from a lumber supplier. Smelt great for the first few years. I did it primarily for the bug repellence attributes of cedar which I discovered years later were not true. At least it looks nice.

I think it has to do with the bug and rot resistancy of cedar for travellers of centuries before. Yes, bugs don’t like to eat cedar, but they do not repel them from hanging around.

Case in point. Once I got rid of a small cedar tree near my front entrance, suddenly there were no more mosquitos around. Tried this at another cedar I had in my backyard. Sure enough, cedar gone…mosquitos are gone. Seems that MOSQUITOS LOVE TO LIVE IN CEDAR bushes/trees. I got rid of all my cedar bushes on my property as a result.

So the moths don’t eat their wool clothing. Not that anyone owns much pure wool clothing any more.

See, I don’t believe that either any longer. Moth balls work, but they stink.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Could you put some osb on the studs first and give a good nail surface everywhere? Not sure why anyone puts cedar in the closet if it doesn’t work.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Moths, really?

My closet is just drywall…not moths in sight!

Jon P.
    Instagram

Moths, really?

The practice is from a few hundred years ago…homes weren’t built the same back then. Not very tight, no screens, probably not much in the way of insulation and lots of other things too. I don’t know if it worked back then either, but it is one of those things that the story stuck around and I guess became traditional.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Moths, really?

The practice is from a few hundred years ago…homes weren’t built the same back then. Not very tight, no screens, probably not much in the way of insulation and lots of other things too. I don’t know if it worked back then either, but it is one of those things that the story stuck around and I guess became traditional.

I have seen aromatic cedar lining in storage chests, too. It is traditional but I believe there is truth to the moth story. When I was dealing antiques, I found wool blankets stored in cedar chests in perfect condition 100-150 years old.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it muffles the sound.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.695 seconds