dcsimg

CCW question.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Author

Great advice Sven. It definitely makes sense to practice shooting when you are not at your optimum. I had never thought of it that way.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Thank you, I learned a couple of tricks playing soldier. I think that @andre_c can add to this.

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

@svensshutters I couldn’t agree more – if you are going to carry firearm you HAVE to know how to use it. Knowing how to use a firearm is far more than shooting at empty cans once a month. When you decide to carry a firearm, whether you carry concealed or openly, you have made the decision to use that firearm if the need ever arises. That need may arise in the middle of the night or in the middle of your morning jog – whatever your physical circumstance is you still have to be able to be in total control (mentally and physically) of your weapon at any given moment. That means that when you are still half asleep, scared, and can’t see your hand in front of your face because it is so dark you still need to know where the safety, trigger, hammer, etc are on your weapon. If you ever are in a situation where you need your ccw it will be chaotic – you will be scared and pumped full of adrenaline, and there will other people around. In that situation split-second decisions have to be made – is this person a threat? is that person a threat? do I shoot? who do I shoot?

This isn’t a mode that the average person can just fall into – it requires practice and training. Training options for civilians are available and becoming more prevalent as more and more people decide to get their CCW license. I have taken several classes, and participate as a “bad guy” in training classes for others here http://www.weyertactical.com/. There are places like this everywhere – if you decide to carry a weapon take advantage of the classes they offer.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Exactly what I was talking about, thank you for your insight. I hope this gives those that do CCW something to think about. I support the 2nd Amendment, BUT also believe that not every idiot should have a gun.

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

BUT also believe that not every idiot should have a gun.

I agree – I know some people who should not be allowed to buy a pair of scissors let alone a gun. But…there isn’t a way to exclude those people 1) in a way that does not rip the Constitution in half and 2) in a way that the government cannot use to exclude whomever they want from buying a gun.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Anonymous
    Inactive

Great advice Sven, Honestly I’ve never shot any of mine under those conditions and it makes total sense. I’ve carried for over 30 years and always concealed, Legally for the last 25 years. In all that time I’ve only had to put my hand on it twice. I’m a firm believer in ya don’t show it for a threat, If ya pull it ya use it 😉

I carried mine on a job I had for a couple years, Although it was against company rules and I would have gotten fired if anyone knew but I was in a really bad part of town. I figured my life was more important than my job

Training options for civilians are available and becoming more prevalent as more and more people decide to get their CCW license.

A good friend and his partner (both policemen) put on a class that I took. It was quite the experience and well worth it.

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

Thanks Y’all. I have never really considered carrying on the job before but here is where I am coming from. Building a house on what I thought was the edge of the bad part of town. It is a block from a Police Station so I thought it would be fine. Turns out a year ago some police cars got stolen from the station. About two weeks ago shooting at police cars became the favorite pastime about a mile away. Thievery started almost immediately but it was not that bad. Just some lumber. Then they ramped up and started taking stuff loose and hauling it off. I am usually the last one out and am often the only one onsite. My mind started wandering and wondered what I would do if I was confronted onsite.

Not good. I would say find a way to be there with someone and all leave together. Don’t be there alone!

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

Thanks Y’all. I have never really considered carrying on the job before but here is where I am coming from. Building a house on what I thought was the edge of the bad part of town. It is a block from a Police Station so I thought it would be fine. Turns out a year ago some police cars got stolen from the station. About two weeks ago shooting at police cars became the favorite pastime about a mile away. Thievery started almost immediately but it was not that bad. Just some lumber. Then they ramped up and started taking stuff loose and hauling it off. I am usually the last one out and am often the only one onsite. My mind started wandering and wondered what I would do if I was confronted onsite.

If it is that bad there you need to be really careful – in an area like that it is just a matter of time before something happens.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

MRenes
    Pro
    Vienna, Missouri

I couldn’t imagine ccw on the job site seems too much.

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

If it is that bad there you need to be really careful – in an area like that it is just a matter of time before something happens.

I should be out of there in about of month. Another builder tried to build some houses in the same general area but couldn’t keep the copper wire and copper tubing for refrigerant in place long enough to get it covered with sheetrock. We are going to put the outside AC unit and privacy fence in on the same day, without ever leaving the site vacant during the interim. I have the house boarded up like a disaster area.

hdpro
    Pro
    Upstate, NY

I should be out of there in about of month. Another builder tried to build some houses in the same general area but couldn’t keep the copper wire and copper tubing for refrigerant in place long enough to get it covered with sheetrock. We are going to put the outside AC unit and privacy fence in on the same day, without ever leaving the site vacant during the interim. I have the house boarded up like a disaster area.

If it’s that bad….who would want to buy or move into the house when it’s finished?!?

hdpro
    Pro
    Upstate, NY

What’s this personal conviction based on?

Could be knowledge, experience, or both. He’s right. If you are going to take on the responsibility of CCW, then you better be able to hit your mark. Marksmanship and weapons safety can’t be stressed enough. I have carried a lot. IMHO if you are going to CCW on the Job, of anywhere for that matter, you need to go out and shoot frequently. Don’t just shoot on a Saturday though after a good nights sleep. Go to shoot after you have had a long hot and exhausting day when you can’t think about anything other than a cold beer and a soft chair. Go to a range and stress out your body, run a couple of miles, wear out your arms doing push ups, jumping jacks or whatever and then shoot, because you won’t be well rested when time comes to use your pistol. I guarantee you that it will be harder than you ever thought to hit anything. The last thing that anyone needs is missing our mark and hitting something unintentional. All that crap you see on TV where a sofa stops bullets, or your car door, is all a load of crap.

I understand your points and agree. It’s the same reason we trained in EMS rigorously when I worked that for over 15 years.

But until SamM responds, you’re answers are only surmising. It may be for a very different reason. That’s why I asked him directly, but so far, no response.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I wish I got out to practice more these days. I did lots of three gun in the past and of course we hunt every chance we get (no hanguns). It will be nice being out of the city full time.

the 2nd amendment is such a nice piece of law. Canadians have the right to defend themselves but the gun laws are very draconian. Everyone gets charged with unsafe storage no matter what, the registry is to keep track of law abiding citizens (and for confiscation that is going on as I type), liscencing is an invasion of privacy (you should see the questions on sexual partner!) and the restrictions are nutz. My AR15 is limited to range use only with 5 round mags. My .338 is OK for use anywhere with no mag limits (it is a bolt action) and my shotties are OK to (for now, there is talk of restricting semi autos).

And everything is a cach and an assault weapon. The bad guys they catch have nothing on some of us regular joes.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

hdpro
    Pro
    Upstate, NY

I wish I got out to practice more these days. I did lots of three gun in the past and of course we hunt every chance we get (no hanguns). It will be nice being out of the city full time.

the 2nd amendment is such a nice piece of law. Canadians have the right to defend themselves but the gun laws are very draconian. Everyone gets charged with unsafe storage no matter what, the registry is to keep track of law abiding citizens (and for confiscation that is going on as I type), liscencing is an invasion of privacy (you should see the questions on sexual partner!) and the restrictions are nutz. My AR15 is limited to range use only with 5 round mags. My .338 is OK for use anywhere with no mag limits (it is a bolt action) and my shotties are OK to (for now, there is talk of restricting semi autos).

@thedude306
    , I thought the current prime minister (Harper) was removing / disbanding the gun registry. What’s happened with that?

And everything is a cach and an assault weapon. The bad guys they catch have nothing on some of us regular joes.

Anonymous
    Inactive

here is talk of restricting semi autos).

Guns laws are so weird. I wonder what they consider semi-auto? A revolver works the same way as a semi-auto LOL. Pull the trigger once for a single shot 🙂

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

@hdpro

The long gun registry is gone. But there is still a restricted registry. So All handguns and a handful of rifles.. I still don’t understand how you they can say a long gun registry does no good and continue to have a handgun registry.

Brad T

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

And you forgot the part about how you need to hold your breath every time you check the mail since without any process the government can decide they don’t want you to own a certain type of gun on a whim, and it’s up to you to turn it in without compensation or end up in jail.

I’m trying to hold my breath a little on this thread. 🙂

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

(and for confiscation that is going on as I type)

Oh it’s in there. I have written so many letter to the PM and my MP and the minister of safety in the last month, it’s ridiculous. None of my firearms are on the recent hit list but it’s only a matter of time.

I am in the process of renewing my license, sent in my THIRD set of ID and letters today. On a RENEWAL… The funny thing was they told me that I need to have the latest to them by July 30th. My license expires on June 23rd!

Brad T

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.426 seconds