dcsimg

Caulk Tips

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Moze
    Dallas, TX

Oh, and forgot to mention: Once I cut the tip of the 10oz. tube in half and fill the smaller one, I then squeeze enough silicone to fill the tip of the larger tube (the one that unscrews). The silicone in the tip eventually hardens, but it keeps the silicone in the tube from drying out.

Resident Sign Guy

I’ve got another tip…(but no video)<br>
    Now when you get to the point that the caulk tube is empty, you know it’s not really empty!<br>
    That’s right, there is still a tube on the end filled with the good stuff.<br>
    I like to smash the nose into the concrete driveway with a paper towel under it of course and dab the remaining caulk back on to where I was working so that I don’t waste any.

You know… now that I have taken the time to tell you what I go through to save the last little bit, I think that in the future….. I will just throw it away. (Never mind about the tip)

HA! You had me going on that one!

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

when i was working on buildings we used sausage tube caulking for the fibre cement siding where it met the brick work.. the brick layers didnt bother filling the gaps between the side of the brick and the corner boards with morter so we had to jamb it full of back rod then fill the rest with caulking

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

hdpro
    Pro
    Upstate, NY

I never use the cutter on the gun. I always have a knife 2 inches from my hand so why bother?

Anyone else find the poker on the gun is too short? I usually carry a piece of copper wire scavenged from the sparkys to poke the seal.

I find it depends on the product. Caulk and silicones I find are usually shorter nozzles. Adhesives tend to have the longer ones. Theres always the exception to the rule too. Not sure why, but yes, it can be frustrating….

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

Anyone else find the poker on the gun is too short? I usually carry a piece of copper wire scavenged from the sparkys to poke the seal.

Although I don’t use the cutter, I find that the poker thing is fine. Never had a problem with one.

Pat

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

I’ve got another tip…(but no video)<br>
    Now when you get to the point that the caulk tube is empty, you know it’s not really empty!<br>
    That’s right, there is still a tube on the end filled with the good stuff.<br>
    I like to smash the nose into the concrete driveway with a paper towel under it of course and dab the remaining caulk back on to where I was working so that I don’t waste any.

You know… now that I have taken the time to tell you what I go through to save the last little bit, I think that in the future….. I will just throw it away. (Never mind about the tip)

What should I say Rob? Thanks for the tip – now I’ll forget it, too? 🙂

Pat

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Although I don’t use the cutter, I find that the poker thing is fine. Never had a problem with one.

Some tubes seem to have an extra long snout that the poker will not reach.

Rob
    Pro
    Birmingham, Alabama

Here’s another- PWT (potentially worthless tip)
    When you finish with a one piece latex caulk tube, one of the plastic ones.

Don’t try this with a used cardboard and aluminum foil tube! …just trust me on that.

You can take a suction cup -I like to use the rubber stopper on the end of my sons bow and arrow set
    Reach up in the tube with the wet end of the arrow ( the one you dipped in water) and stick it to the plastic cap, then pull it back down the way it came.
    It can help at this point to push on the nozzle end with your metal poker to break the vacuum.
    After removing the inverted cap, flush and clean the tube (with water).
    After drying, fill the tube with Joint compound and replace the cup in the bottom.
    Now you are ready to use the mud to ‘caulk’ the minimal amount of compound into a small crack or under a popped seam of tape or on the top of a base board. It gives you a much more surgical tool for those special jobs.

Then again, the latex caulk is elastic and self priming and is already …IN the tube so maybe this won’t work for you.
    Never mind. (another PWT)

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

That’s a pretty cool tip. Never thought of that but it does make sense.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

That’s a pretty cool tip. Never thought of that but it does make sense.

I think I will stick with Latex caulk, it is a little more elastic and less prone to cracking.

Now if you were going to say wash it out good and fill it with jello shots for a unique delivery system at your next party, you might have had something.

hdpro
    Pro
    Upstate, NY

I think I will stick with Latex caulk, it is a little more elastic and less prone to cracking.

Now if you were going to say wash it out good and fill it with jello shots for a unique delivery system at your next party, you might have had something.

Here, Here!!

MRenes
    Pro
    Vienna, Missouri

I use the cutter on the gun, but I don’t use the tubes for precise caulking, so it works fine for me.

I posted these before, but in case some of the newer members haven’t seen them. They work great…

Those are awesome.. I’m going to have to get some. We were just given about 50 tube of chaulk and they need those on them since some were just opened.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

We mainly use COX, Newborn Bros for our sausage style guns. We have loose tips that get screwed on the end of the caulking gun with the cap. For some jobs we may cut with a razor 5 different sizes. If we have enough guns they all get loaded up with the different tips. If we only have a few guns we pop the sausage out with the tip on and place aside.

A Working Pro since 2004

Attachments:
Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.785 seconds