dcsimg

Caulk Tips

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Never knew this about caulking guns

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I use wire when a caulk gun has it but imstill prefer a knive for the tip, it makes a neater cut than the knife in the triggger.

CrpntrFeak
    Pro
    Globe, AZ

I use wire when a caulk gun has it but imstill prefer a knive for the tip, it makes a neater cut than the knife in the triggger.

Agreed. I could never get a caulk gun to cut a nice, clean, angled tip. So a knife it is.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I prefer a knife too. Could never get the right amount cut off with the gun. Do use the wire.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Thatkid
    Pro

I also use a knife instead of the cutters.

x3 on the gun not cutting the tip well enough.

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

x4. The gun never seems to cut right. It will either twist the tip or rip it. And, I’ve got several caulk guns that do not have the hole or the knife in them. Sounds like the guy on the video just learned about them himself.

Pat

Moze
    Dallas, TX

I use the cutter on the gun, but I don’t use the tubes for precise caulking, so it works fine for me.

I posted these before, but in case some of the newer members haven’t seen them. They work great…

Resident Sign Guy

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Those look good Moze. Never have seen them. How is the price?
    I use red wire nuts most of the time.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

CrpntrFeak
    Pro
    Globe, AZ

I use the cutter on the gun, but I don’t use the tubes for precise caulking, so it works fine for me.

I posted these before, but in case some of the newer members haven’t seen them. They work great…

I could rack up a lot of points with the comments I could make about that product but I will just say those look funny…

Moze
    Dallas, TX

Those look good Moze. Never have seen them. How is the price?<br>
    I use red wire nuts most of the time.

They’re $8.36 for a pack of 35 on Amazon. I’ve done the wire nut thing too, but these are airtight and work for months.

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Red-Cap-Contractor-Saving/dp/B000H5S8XY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398645100&sr=8-1&keywords=little+red+cap

I could rack up a lot of points with the comments I could make about that product but I will just say those look funny…

lol…yeah, it’s too easy of a joke

Resident Sign Guy

RSG
    Pro
    Niles, OH

Never seen them before but I am defiantly going to order some.

Thanks Moze for posting

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

if im cutting the tip for a finish bead i use a knife to get a proper angle on it. if its for construction adheasive or window sealant type caulking for back caulking a nailing flange or for on a sil for setting a door i simply use the cutter for a larger bead

for tooling caulking i use my finger but i carry a pop bottle filled with warm water that has dish detergent mixed in it. by wetting my finger with this solution the caulking wont stick and im not using spit.. regular water doesnt seem to work very well

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

Moze
    Dallas, TX

Never seen them before but I am defiantly going to order some.

Thanks Moze for posting

You bet!

Resident Sign Guy

Anyone use “sausage” type caulkng? We will on some larger expansion joints or if we have a lot to do. Usually means we are using Tremco or Sonneborn products which are nice to work with.

For a good way to tool the caulking, use foaming window cleaner. Lay down your bead on the dry joint, then spray with the foaming window cleaner and tool the joint. Works great.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Moze
    Dallas, TX

I use Sprayway glass cleaner…is that what you mean by foaming cleaner?

http://www.amazon.com/Sprayway-Glass-Cleaner-6-Cans/dp/B000AP585M/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1398646871&sr=8-8&keywords=window+cleaner

Resident Sign Guy

Yep! Stuff works great. I have tried soapy water, mineral spirits, etc. and I prefer this.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Moze
    Dallas, TX

Good tip – I’ll have to give it shot.

Resident Sign Guy

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

Yeah I use a knife to cut the tip too…and I’ve always either licked my finger or, if I have a lot to do, have a wet rag to wet my finger and clean it off.

Thatkid
    Pro

that just made me remember a while ago we had a very interesting conversation about those. the boss showed up with a container of them and said we were wasting his money and he got theses caps so the caulk wouldn’t dry out. So I had to go over to were my friend was working and give him a handful and say hey buddy I got something for you. the look of WTF he gave me was to funny.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.496 seconds