dcsimg

Carving

This topic contains 13 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Sorpa 3 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I am just wondering if anyone on BTP does wood carving. I have had a interest in trying it for sometime. But the carving tools seem alittle pricey for me. My wife asked me if I would be interested in taking a 2 day course on Spoon & Bowl carving. I looked over the ad she sent me. I was interested in it other then 1.5 drive too it. She was thinking about getting this for a Christmas gift for me. So I am not if I am getting it or not I guess I will know on the 25th.

Greg

Work Smarter Not Harder

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

Sounds like that could be a fun course! I’ve never done any wood carving, other than a little utility knife and/or chisel work now and then if something doesn’t fit.

Perhaps when I retire and looking for something to do carving will be on the agenda. Not now though, too many other things to do. It has always been fun to watch a carver as they create from a block of wood. Give it a try and let us know if you enjoyed the time.

tt1133
    Pro

So I have successfully completed 8 or so power carvings and purchased a cheap set of Buck Brothers carving tools at Home Depot with the intention of doing fine detail work with them. How ever I should have gone to the kitchen and grabbed a spoon because it might have been sharper than these tools were out of the box. I like carving a lot but I’m not patient enough to do it all by hand. But get gasoline and 7 inch grinders involved and I can get into that!

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

I’ve done a bit of detail carving; initials on small projects and some small work. It’s very rewarding and very relaxing. Carving tools can be a bit of a rabbit hole, though, but not unmanageable.

I wish you well with this new venture, Greg, I hope you enjoy it.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without loss of enthusiasm.
    ...... Winston Churchill

I picked up a spoon gouge and a hook knife to do some spoon carving for christmas gifts. Between those and some curved card scrapers and a spokeshave, I can get close

Not good enough though, so I cheat and use a spinning sandpaper rig that hooks to my drill to handle the concave and spend a lot of time shaping on a belt sander beyond that.

Its pretty fun, but needs practice to do well. I’m working on spoons 4-12 (spoons 1-3 were failures….)

Maybe using hard maple for the first try wasn’t the best idea. #12 was done in pine and was very very easy in comparison.

Also, sharpening gouges is a pain. I still haven’t figured it out at all

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I picked up a spoon gouge and a hook knife to do some spoon carving for christmas gifts. Between those and some curved card scrapers and a spokeshave, I can get close

Not good enough though, so I cheat and use a spinning sandpaper rig that hooks to my drill to handle the concave and spend a lot of time shaping on a belt sander beyond that.

Its pretty fun, but needs practice to do well. I’m working on spoons 4-12 (spoons 1-3 were failures….)

Maybe using hard maple for the first try wasn’t the best idea. #12 was done in pine and was very very easy in comparison.

i’ve been thinking of getting in to spoon carving, even bought some bits for my foredom to run it, turns out I have the wrong sized handle.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

foredom

It does sound like a fun course. Just 100% sure if I will be going yet.

I’ve done a bit of detail carving; initials on small projects and some small work. It’s very rewarding and very relaxing. Carving tools can be a bit of a rabbit hole, though, but not unmanageable.

I wish you well with this new venture, Greg, I hope you enjoy it.

As for carving tools I guess depends on what plan on doing. I don’t want to spend the bank on on carving tools. If I decide to get into carving I would be just looking at some basic tools for spoon or bowl carving. I am sure I want get into detail carving yet.

Thanks for the kind words Peter!

I have been watching some of the carving James Wright does YT. This where it has peaked my interest in carving again.

This is what I would like to do is make spoons for gifts. Sharpening would be a issue for me also.

Greg

Work Smarter Not Harder

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

I carved 3 spoons couple of weeks ago.
    1 maple and 2 black walnut.
    Nothing fancy. Never did it before.
    Used some mastercraft chisels.
    I’ll take some pictures tomorrow and load them up.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Here they are

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I carved 3 spoons couple of weeks ago.
    1 maple and 2 black walnut.
    Nothing fancy. Never did it before.
    Used some mastercraft chisels.
    I’ll take some pictures tomorrow and load them up.

Those spoons look pretty good. I am not looking at doing anything fancy. Maybe a bowl or some kinda dish.

Greg

Work Smarter Not Harder

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

I cut small basswood tree down last weekend. I will use this for carving when I get carving tools.

Greg

Work Smarter Not Harder

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Here they are

Good looking work. Is it all chisel work or did you use a spokeshave on the handles?

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without loss of enthusiasm.
    ...... Winston Churchill

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Here they are

Good looking work. Is it all chisel work or did you use a spokeshave on the handles?

No chisel or spokeshave on the handles.
    I got them close to the shape with the bandsaw and than on belt sander different coarse grits to remove material.
    I applied everywhere a generous coat of mineral oil after 80 grit sanding.
    Let it soak in, sand again with 120 and something around 200 ( worn belt), mineral oil again, let it dry, and final hand sanding with 400 grit followed by a final coat of oil.
    The inside of the bowl was of course done by hand. After I finished the bowl it crossed my mind that I could’ve used a shaped scraping card too for the inside.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.688 seconds