dcsimg

Car stereo boombox

• This topic has 59 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    staker
    Pro

I think the sound is better with wood than with plastic.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

you could get crazy and have and L1 for a head unit/power source and then a couple L4 for purely speaker enclosures.

You might get laughed off the jobsite, but you would rock in style… 😉

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

you could get crazy and have and L1 for a head unit/power source and then a couple L4 for purely speaker enclosures.

You might get laughed off the jobsite, but you would rock in style… ;-)

If I had extra L-Boxxes lying around, maybe but I don’t even have enough to store all my tools yet. Maybe one day but not yet. If anything I’ll try to use wood or MDF and rig something up just to see how it is.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@MaukaRunner I know this isn’t quite the right thread to post this but I couldn’t remember where we were talking about mounting a double din stereo in our din and a half trucks so here ya go,

I was at the stereo shop buying a new amp the other day and they were mounting a double din in an 02 Sierra, There’s an aftermarket company that now makes an entire dash bezel similar to the 03’s and up that bolts right in. No modification to it needed and it’ll except a double din stereo, And no mod needed for the basket either. Cost $200 and only comes in black but can be painted to match OEM, Cool huh?

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

@MaukaRunner I know this isn’t quite the right thread to post this but I couldn’t remember where we were talking about mounting a double din stereo in our din and a half trucks so here ya go,

I was at the stereo shop buying a new amp the other day and they were mounting a double din in an 02 Sierra, There’s an aftermarket company that now makes an entire dash bezel similar to the 03’s and up that bolts right in. No modification to it needed and it’ll except a double din stereo, And no mod needed for the basket either. Cost $200 and only comes in black but can be painted to match OEM, Cool huh?

Boyd, that is great. Half the battle is knowing what is out there to solve your problem.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

@Dabbs Were you able to get the name of the company offering the bezel?

I thought I have you this guy making conversions for our trucks but here it is again. I know he used to make complete bezels but sounds like he only makes a kit for you to convert your own.

Discontinued complete dash bezel
    http://www.thedetailss.com/99-02_CK_CNC_Cut_Dash.html

Link to the DIY dash kit
    http://thedetailss.com/99-02_CK_Double_Din.html

Going on to his Facebook page, sounds like he’s even going to discontinue the DIY kit. It’s on sale until things run out.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/TheDetailSScom/155462410378?fref=ts#

I’m not going to do a DD conversion soon but if you are thinking about it then maybe you should contact the guy.

Please post up some pics if you do decide to do the conversion.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Boyd, that is great. Half the battle is knowing what is out there to solve your problem.

Oh indeed, I watched some utube vids of guys modifying the original bezels and man what a chop job, I don’t mind doing that sort of thing (in fact I enjoy it) but the final result from what I saw was way less then perfect.

There are many different ways to do the conversion. Thank goodness for the internet and Google. I’ve found so much information on it but decided not to do the conversion. Maybe one day but not now.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Dabbs Were you able to get the name of the company offering the bezel?

I thought I have you this guy making conversions for our trucks but here it is again. I know he used to make complete bezels but sounds like he only makes a kit for you to convert your own.

Discontinued complete dash bezel
    http://www.thedetailss.com/99-02_CK_CNC_Cut_Dash.html

Link to the DIY dash kit
    http://thedetailss.com/99-02_CK_Double_Din.html

Going on to his Facebook page, sounds like he’s even going to discontinue the DIY kit. It’s on sale until things run out.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/TheDetailSScom/155462410378?fref=ts#

I’m not going to do a DD conversion soon but if you are thinking about it then maybe you should contact the guy.

Please post up some pics if you do decide to do the conversion.

Oh yeah I remember that conversion kit now, Notice how it comes with glue and ‘fill’ material to fill in the frame around the stereo opening LOL. That kinda turned me off, This shop had taken the original bezel to a paint store to match the OEM color and was painting it (tan) to match when I got there. Although I didn’t stick around to see the final result but they said it’s as simple as snapping it back in, He did mention something about removing some little tab from the basket but no biggy. And he didn’t say anything about having to move the heater control module or any goofyness like that, I’m not ready to do mine quite yet either but at least now we know it got much easier with a 100% clean looking mod when the time comes

whitehill
    Pro
    Ottawa, ON

There are informative threads on diyAudio (search for boombox and boominator) and Parts Express Techtalk forum (search boombox).
    The short version: car head units have great features but are not power efficient. Get a cheap Class D amp if you want to run off batteries. Don’t use car speakers, they are designed for large spaces behind (the trunk or door panel) and a small enclosed space in front (the vehicle cabin).
    Go with a proven speaker design from one of those two sites and you’ll have much better results than throwing together what you have around.
    BTW, the Boominator is a no compromise, heavy, expensive system for outdoor use. The thread is however full of great info on what works and what doesn’t, and may prevent false starts.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@MaukaRunner and everyone that’s interested of course, I found the brand. And there’s a link to the install instructions within this link, Easy peasy. Also found it cheaper $125 + ship, Almost gives me the incentive to go ahead and do it soon. I talked to one guy that said it’s only been out on the market for like a month or so, Cool!! http://www.metraonline.com/part/DP-3002B

@MaukaRunner and everyone that’s interested of course, I found the brand. And there’s a link to the install instructions within this link, Easy peasy. Also found it cheaper $125 + ship, Almost gives me the incentive to go ahead and do it soon. I talked to one guy that said it’s only been out on the market for like a month or so, Cool!! http://www.metraonline.com/part/DP-3002B

Really Awesome Boyd! Thanks for the link. Although I don’t want to do the conversion to a DD deck yet, I wouldn’t mind the conversion kit to move my single DIN deck up and put a pocket insert on the bottom to store stuff.

Found a couple of videos on this for those who want this.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’d seen the first one but not the second and holy crap, That guy had to cut the big metal brace behind the basket to clear for the depth. I wonder if that was just cuz of that particular brand of radio or what? Cutting off the rear shelf of the plastic basket isn’t a biggy though, An OMT would make easy work of that

I’d seen the first one but not the second and holy crap, That guy had to cut the big metal brace behind the basket to clear for the depth. I wonder if that was just cuz of that particular brand of radio or what? Cutting off the rear shelf of the plastic basket isn’t a biggy though, An OMT would make easy work of that

If I recall, cutting of the brace and the plastic is a part of all the DD installs since the original space is only meant for a 1.5 DIN receiver.

BryanT
    Blocked
    Lake Ariel, PA

Interesting idea. I would give it a try. Unfortunately I do not have any old car stereos laying around. New stuff may not even work once removed from a vehicle due to different anti-theft technologies.

BryanT

mgb
    Pro

It isn’t an L-boxx, but pc-power supply. Really easy to wire up.

It isn’t an L-boxx, but pc-power supply. Really easy to wire up.

<figure class=”oe-video-container”></figure>

Pretty cool! More pics and your setup, please.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I saw some tool boxes at Lowes that had a radio built into it. It was probably electric. I didn’t look to close because I already have a couple big tool chests.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Pretty cool! More pics and your setup, please.

Man Mauka we starting to worry about you…

That is a super clean set up. Where are the speakers??

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.273 seconds