dcsimg

Car stereo boombox

This topic contains 59 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 3 years ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 60 total)
  • Author

Has anyone thought of making one of these for the jobsite or workshop? Car audio has a lot of wattage for decent sound on the jobsite. Can go AM/FM, CD, Flash Drive, ipod, android, Bluetooth.

Run it off a 12V computer power supply.

Maybe in a L-boxx so you can add it to the stack?

What do you think?

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I’ve been toying with this idea for a while. A car stereo would be pretty easy I think. I would like it to fit in a L2 but that gets pretty skinny for speakers.

Also it’s going to get warm… Well hot. So venting is an issue if it goes in an L-boxx.

And I don’t think an average 12V computer power supply will keep up. It’s going to have to be pretty big to handle the 50W or so of the car stereo. And that means heat and $$$ unless you have an extra kicking around.

I think you should do it and then I can copy it if it works!

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I use an old car radio for the radio in my garage. Works great. I power it with an old battery charger I bought for $2 on sale in the 70s.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

I think I will keep my Powerbox. It sounds great does everything car audio can do and will charge a battery if needed.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Back in the 70s I needed a radio for the garage. I swapped out a radio in my buddy’s truck and he agave me the old unit. I had some old stereo speakers and figured I could power the whole deal with a low power 12V battery charger. Found what I was looking for in the bargain bin at Advance Auto for $2. Used a piece of scrap plywood to mount it and I was in business for practically nothing. I had a boom box but it was a pain turning the knob to change stations, so the car radio was great with the buttons I could set the stations. The original radio died in the 80s so I replaced it with a flea market Spark-O-Matic and it has worked ever since. Yeah the PB has better sound but I keep using the car radio and use the PB outside.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

CrpntrFeak
    Pro
    Globe, AZ

I think I will keep my Powerbox. It sounds great does everything car audio can do and will charge a battery if needed.

Second that. This Bosch cranks out the tunes too. I used to forget about having a radio sometimes and I would even feel a little guilty bringing one out. But being that the Bosch becomes a 4 way extension cord when plugged in, it is a great excuse to turn on some tunes.

staker
    Pro

I had made one 20 years ago for camping, made a plywood box, worked great.

I’ve been toying with this idea for a while. A car stereo would be pretty easy I think. I would like it to fit in a L2 but that gets pretty skinny for speakers.

Also it’s going to get warm… Well hot. So venting is an issue if it goes in an L-boxx.

And I don’t think an average 12V computer power supply will keep up. It’s going to have to be pretty big to handle the 50W or so of the car stereo. And that means heat and $$$ unless you have an extra kicking around.

I think you should do it and then I can copy it if it works!

I was thinking of one in a L-boxx 4. How much power does a car stereo take. Don’t most alternators put out less than a 100 watts. It think the average ATX power supply puts out at least 250 watts.

Maybe a deck with internal 50 watt RMS output with some 6×9 or 6″ speakers in a L-boxx 4 with some kind of port and cooling for the power supply.

I’ve seen these setups in suitcases and other enclosures. Would be cool to try to set up one in a Bosch L-boxx. I don’t have any L-boxxes to spare and am saving to get more for tools but if someone has spares and extra car audio decks, this would be a cool project.

Anonymous

Back in the 70s I needed a radio for the garage. I swapped out a radio in my buddy’s truck and he agave me the old unit. I had some old stereo speakers and figured I could power the whole deal with a low power 12V battery charger. Found what I was looking for in the bargain bin at Advance Auto for $2. Used a piece of scrap plywood to mount it and I was in business for practically nothing. I had a boom box but it was a pain turning the knob to change stations, so the car radio was great with the buttons I could set the stations. The original radio died in the 80s so I replaced it with a flea market Spark-O-Matic and it has worked ever since. Yeah the PB has better sound but I keep using the car radio and use the PB outside.

I’ve seen that done a lot way back in the day and I always liked the idea, Powering it always stopped me though. I tried a battery charger once and the backfeed was horrible, Perhaps an inverter is the ticket now and they’ve come way down in price. Through the years I ended up using old home stereos. I’ve found they’re better anyway, The one I have now is from the 70’s-80’s. It even has an 8-track LOL. but I like it cuz it’s also a ‘quad’ with a few input ports and still works fine

Anonymous

I was thinking of one in a L-boxx 4. How much power does a car stereo take. Don’t most alternators put out less than a 100 watts. It think the average ATX power supply puts out at least 250 watts.

Maybe a deck with internal 50 watt RMS output with some 6×9 or 6″ speakers in a L-boxx 4 with some kind of port and cooling for the power supply.

I’ve seen these setups in suitcases and other enclosures. Would be cool to try to set up one in a Bosch L-boxx. I don’t have any L-boxxes to spare and am saving to get more for tools but if someone has spares and extra car audio decks, this would be a cool project.

Look into power inverters, I’ve seen them now pretty cheap. A 300 watt can be had for around $20 and they’re fairly small

Look into power inverters, I’ve seen them now pretty cheap. A 300 watt can be had for around $20 and they’re fairly small

Thanks Boyd, I’ll look into that. In the past I had extra decks lying around but don’t now. I just bought a cool Kenwood for my Silverado which only has a USB. No CD or tape just a USP port. Really compact and light. Best of all is it only cost $60. Puts out 50 watts RMS so it sounds good just out of the box.

Maybe I should yank that to play around with this idea more.

Anonymous

Thanks Boyd, I’ll look into that. In the past I had extra decks lying around but don’t now. I just bought a cool Kenwood for my Silverado which only has a USB. No CD or tape just a USP port. Really compact and light. Best of all is it only cost $60. Puts out 50 watts RMS so it sounds good just out of the box.

Maybe I should yank that to play around with this idea more.

I think it’d be kind of a fun project, You could cut out the front of an L-box to flush mount it and for the speakers too. But for me personally since having the Power boxes I wouldn’t bother doing it. Good Luck

redwood
    Pro

Count me in as another that will just stick to the Bosch powerbox. But go at it and post pictures.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

KenW
    Pro

Unless for some reason you need something smaller then a powerbox, I also would stick with it.

PB does everything I need. But would like to see what you folks come up with.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I surround myself with powerboxes and that is more than enough sound for me .

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I think it’s just the convenience of having it in your stack if that’s what you are doing. And it should cost you under $50 (including the L-boxx)

I bought and i-home radio dock (for the old ipods) for $5 off of kijiji today. It has an aux in that I will get a blue tooth dongle for. I might try and fit it in an L-boxx L2 just for shits and giggles.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

Anonymous

If the object here is to get a stackable stereo you could always get an L-rack lid and bottom and bolt them to a Power box 🙂 . Yeah I think it’d be pretty easy really, Ya may need to add plywood for strength but some simple drilling through the roll cage would do it

EthanB
    Pro
    South Kingstown, RI

I’ve made job stereos out of car receivers and speakers in a plywood box with a battery charger for power supply. They work pretty well but if you’re going to give up a L-Boxx to put it in then you might as well spend the dough for a premade jobsite stereo.

monman1
    Pro

Sounds like a fun project for someone thats in to that stuff.

Member since April 4, 2014

doer of all , master of none.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.577 seconds