dcsimg

Can't Stop The Flow!!!

This topic contains 208 replies, has 39 voices, and was last updated by  Doobie 11 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 161 through 180 (of 209 total)
  • Author

Doobie

The last 2 days have been very bad. It’s up to hundreds of homes now.

We heard on the news that Vacationland has now been basically wiped out and also there was a 5.6 earthquake around the summit.

At least nobody is getting killed like in the sudden eruptive activity recently this past week in Guatemala. I suspect that in Guatemala their emergency warning/alert systems probably are not much beyond people simply yelling at the top of their lungs ‘Get the F out!’. God rest their souls’ to the victims in Guatemala.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I talked to a guy from Puna last night in the pub and he said there was no lava insurance.

And I would think the same thing goes for folks in Cali, no earthquake insurance.

Earthquake insurance is available in CA.

We also have windstorm insurance in FL. That’s additional insurance on top of homeowners insurance and flood insurance. Windstorm is expensive. My 2000sf home is over $4000 a year with a $15000 deductible on windstorm. With Irma I had over $8000 of damages and can’t claim a dime.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

We had a 5.0 or so yesterday and could feel it over here. Hopefully it will end soon.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

We had a 5.0 or so yesterday and could feel it over here. Hopefully it will end soon.

Getting big when you can feel them all the way on Oahu. Yeah hoefully things will calm down soon.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doobie

I talked to a guy from Puna last night in the pub and he said there was no lava insurance.

And I would think the same thing goes for folks in Cali, no earthquake insurance.

Earthquake insurance is available in CA.

We also have windstorm insurance in FL. That’s additional insurance on top of homeowners insurance and flood insurance. Windstorm is expensive. My 2000sf home is over $4000 a year with a $15000 deductible on windstorm. With Irma I had over $8000 of damages and can’t claim a dime.

Really. I’m amazed. But the premiums and deductibles are brutal by the sounds of it.

Doobie

Just heard on the news there was an explosion near the summit today with the lava fountain 50 meters high and a lot of flow eminating. They also said there’s now around 600 homes lost. Had no idea it was getting that high.

We heard on the news that Vacationland has now been basically wiped out

The Big Island as we call it isn’t as big of a tourist draw as Oahu, Maui, or Kauai. The Big Island is way more “country” for lack of a better term. The area Leilani where the original fissures opened up has a lot of people living off the grid type of lifestyle, a lifestyle that has been pretty heavily cracked down upon by the government on the other Islands.

Life is 10% what happens to you, 90% Attitude.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Just heard on the news there was an explosion near the summit today with the lava fountain 50 meters high and a lot of flow eminating.

Not good news, the lost home count keeps going up.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

We heard on the news that Vacationland has now been basically wiped out

The Big Island as we call it isn’t as big of a tourist draw as Oahu, Maui, or Kauai. The Big Island is way more “country” for lack of a better term. The area Leilani where the original fissures opened up has a lot of people living off the grid type of lifestyle, a lifestyle that has been pretty heavily cracked down upon by the government on the other Islands.

I see a lot of tourist there when we go over there and the Hilton Waikoloa is a world class luxury hotel. The island is being devastated with the cruise ships not stopping there because of the health risk.

http://www.khon2.com/news/local-news/agencies-prepare-for-possible-eruption-from-kilauea-volcano/1155831630

Dirty

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

The carnage goes on!! The power plant,,Puna Geothermal Venture has been flowed on and is now down.
    https://www.inverse.com/article/45772-volcano-kilauea-floods-geothermal-plant-threatening-hawaii-s-energy-source

Dirty

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

The carnage goes on!! The power plant,,Puna Geothermal Venture has been flowed on and is now down.
    https://www.inverse.com/article/45772-volcano-kilauea-floods-geothermal-plant-threatening-hawaii-s-energy-source

Better charge the batteries and fuel the generator . Sounds like it is getting nasty over there.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

That’s not good news. Keeps getting worse.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

What is the fresh-water situation like now. Heard a couple days ago that lava had entered and pretty much consumed one of the two largest fresh-water lakes there.

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

I just watched lava flowing from Fissure 8 from Kilauea towards the ocean.
    That’s an incredible speed.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Just read about a magnitude 6.1 earthquake in japan this morning.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Yep the Ring of Fire has been extremely active of late.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Wow, I was just watching that also,
    Pretty scary stuff,

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Just read about a magnitude 6.1 earthquake in japan this morning.

I just heard of that one too. My wife is over there in Kanagawa. That’s the other side of the island. I didn’t hear anything from her.

Dirty

Doobie

Wow, I was just watching that also,
    Pretty scary stuff,

Freaky stuff. The earth hemorraghing liquid rock basically.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Freaky stuff. The earth hemorraghing liquid rock basically.

It sure is. Hopefully things will calm down soon.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 20 posts - 161 through 180 (of 209 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.661 seconds