dcsimg

Buzzing when boiler is on

This topic contains 53 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Seven-Delta-FortyOne 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Author

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

No. im not sure he even noticed it. He never mentioned it.

Maybe he didn’t mention it because he’s the one that did it by over tightening.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

That’s what I was thinking was the cause.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

@montreal_medic well hopefully he kinda fixed the buzzing, but unfortunately you might need to hire someone else to fix that cracked lug,
    So you found this guy you say, and not hydro?
    To bad you didn’t notice if it was cracked before or after,
    Good luck, hopefully you get it all taken care of, thanks for the update.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

He missed the crack, was WAY off on what time he’d arrive, had the messiest truck Ive ever seen, couldnt find his flashlight (which is when he discovered the awesomeness that is the FL12) and is missing his left thumb from what he called a bad day on the job

😆

Oh…Well..In that case..Thanks for not sending him here.
    We’d just have to run him off. 😮

Delta

Goin' Down In Flames........

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

He missed the crack, was WAY off on what time he’d arrive, had the messiest truck Ive ever seen, couldnt find his flashlight (which is when he discovered the awesomeness that is the FL12) and is missing his left thumb from what he called a bad day on the job

Guy sounds less than professional. Tough when those kinds of guys show up, you just would like to cancel the service before they do anymore damage.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Glad to hear the buzzing is gone. I know that that would drive me nuts.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

What is the specific torq setting on a lug nut screw . I believe there is one but I could be wrong .

Always willing to learn .

Anonymous

What is the specific torq setting on a lug nut screw . I believe there is one but I could be wrong .

Half a turn before ya break something…….

Ok ok I’m sure there’s a torque value for everything but I’ve never seen an electrician actually use a torque wrench in a breaker box, I’m thinking it’s a ‘feel’ thing ya get from experience just like a mechanic. Doesn’t sound like this guy has it yet, IF he’s truly the one that cracked it

Ok ok I’m sure there’s a torque value for everything but I’ve never seen an electrician actually use a torque wrench in a breaker box, I’m thinking it’s a ‘feel’ thing ya get from experience just like a mechanic. Doesn’t sound like this guy has it yet, IF he’s truly the one that cracked it

Actually, I took the pic before he touched it, just after he pulled off the meter face.

The lugs were all loose, and he unwound them by hand. Put them back on and counted 45 full turns each, which he said was the spec. After about 30 turns, he had to strain.

Not sure whether he made it worse (I never thought to take an “after” pic) but this was before he started cranking, and he never mentioned it. I also didnt notice, you guys pointed it out from the pic

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

I never used a torque wrench or screwdriver for electrical work but the manufacturer will spec the torque.
    Here’s a good read…..
    http://iaeimagazine.org/magazine/2015/01/15/inspecting-electrical-connections-for-proper-torque/

Anonymous

Actually, I took the pic before he touched it, just after he pulled off the meter face.

The lugs were all loose, and he unwound them by hand. Put them back on and counted 45 full turns each, which he said was the spec. After about 30 turns, he had to strain.

Not sure whether he made it worse (I never thought to take an “after” pic) but this was before he started cranking, and he never mentioned it. I also didnt notice, you guys pointed it out from the pic

Wow he goes by the turns? I’ve never heard of that before, And 15 more turns after he feels resistance sounds like A LOT. Must be some very fine threads lol, But ok cool we know now that he didn’t make the crack

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

I never used a torque wrench or screwdriver for electrical work but the manufacturer will spec the torque.
    Here’s a good read…..
    http://iaeimagazine.org/magazine/2015/01/15/inspecting-electrical-connections-for-proper-torque/

Very good, thanks I saved to my book marks,
    Makes sense,

Anonymous

Here’s a good read…..

Hey nice, An electricians torque screwdriver. Never saw one of those before, I’ll have to ask my neighbor the electrician if he uses one. I like the idea

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

Yes, there is. It’s listed by the panel manufacturer.

However, I’ve only EVER seen a torque tool brought out on some very high voltage, high amperage, industrial switchgear and panel boards. I have worked on hundreds of electrical panels, and I’ve never used one in a residential or light commercial situation, neither have any of my colleagues, nor has an inspector ever asked about it.

I know I sound like the folks she was talking about in that article, but the fact remains, I can tighten lugs all day for the rest of my life without a torque wrench, and NEVER have one inadvertently too loose, nor accidentally strip it out. It’s just not that difficult to make a proper and tight electrical connection.

We don’t torque wire nuts, or terminals on the back of receptacles, or landing lugs on appliances or other equipment, and in my opinion, a service panel is no different.

This is one reason why I have little tolerance for home-inspector types. They are constantly trying to complicate issues, in order to make themselves feel valuable. They generally have no actual, hands-on construction experience, so depend on meters and gadgets to justify their existence, by “finding” some “hidden-disaster-waiting-to-happen”.

YMMV

Delta

Goin' Down In Flames........

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.861 seconds