dcsimg

Buzzing when boiler is on

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Author

Has the box been updated? If so have the lines from the poll or wherever they come from been updated to handle the breaker box? Not sure if this has anything at all to do with it, just fishing.

Doobie

Hmmm…. maybe it should be the power company

Definitely! And don’t let them fluff you off which wouldn’t surprise me from the on site guys. You might have to do a bit of barking up the line to get a real fix on something lile that.

So, the noise is outside, where the power line drops down and enters the outside conduit. It is before it hits the meter.

The buzzing cannot be heard at the furnace/boiler or at the breaker box, just in the wall behind the drop and outdoors next to it.

Hmmm…. maybe it should be the power company

Not screwing with power on that side of the breakers…

Yep don’t start playing with the lines going through the pole, you mentioned it is only when the boiler comes on right,

So, I spoke to both Hydro and a master electrician

Te deal is that Hydro owns the line to the house and the meter box, but the conduit between the two are my problem.

So, I have an electrician coming out on Friday. IF the problem is Hydro Quebec’s responsibility, he will bill them for his time. If its mine, I eat it. Seems he has done this before.

This is at least the good part of electricians having fixed rate cards – I pick my own electrician, and dont need to hope I dont get one who is biased in favour of the power company

Also, since the issue is outdoors and between the meter and the mains, he won’t be inside seeing my very likely not current code 1955 wiring…. last guy who came in to put in a light switch wanted to redo the entire floor if he touched anything – $10K. Rather not have him touching anything downstream of the breaker box

Electrician finally got here around 7pm

He tightened all the bolts in the panel and meter box and called it good. He figured it was a loose contact. He got a LOT of turns before it was tight

He also is going to go buy an FL12. Hes still a flashlight in the mouth guy, but thats about to change

kzcarp
    Pro

Was there any evidence of arcing in the box ? It didn’t look from the pic that there was but for some reason photos show up looking fisheye on my phone. But the real question is has the buzzing stopped ?

kevin

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

There’s a cracked lug in there, and hard to tell but I don’t see any anti-oxidation goo on the wires either.

Anonymous
    Inactive

There’s a cracked lug in there, and hard to tell but I don’t see any anti-oxidation goo on the wires either.

Good eye Sporky, I noticed it too

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

But the real question is has the buzzing stopped ?

Did the the buzzing go away?

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

But the real question is has the buzzing stopped ?

Did the the buzzing go away?

No noise last night!

Did he say anything else like how @sprokitz pointed out the crack lug need to be taken care of in the near future .

Always willing to learn .

Did he say anything else like how @sprokitz pointed out the crack lug need to be taken care of in the near future .

No. im not sure he even noticed it. He never mentioned it. Is the crack something I should be concerned about?

He did tell me that my breaker box is a mess and I should pay him 600-800$ to clean it up… just the wires in the breaker box…. but that it could wait

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

No. im not sure he even noticed it. He never mentioned it. Is the crack something I should be concerned about?

Yes it will cause a problem in the future. It will have some arcing going on in the crack and will do nothing but get worse with time.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Yes it will cause a problem in the future. It will have some arcing going on in the crack and will do nothing but get worse with time.

Yes that crack will only get worse and cause arcing as Ron has pointed out. You should get that fixed.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Yes that crack will only get worse and cause arcing as Ron has pointed out. You should get that fixed.

Ok. Thanks guys.

Dumb question- if most of the lug is intact, why would the power arc? Wouldnt it follow the path of least resistance and go through the un-cracked part? Not that it won’t get worse, but why would it arc in the current state?

Because it’s not a solid lug . The crack will make the arc along its path to the service lug not . @montreal_medic .

Always willing to learn .

Put another way- the annoying buzz seems to be gone, there is no dign of scorch marks, and money is very tight until at least January

How big a rush is this to address?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Put another way- the annoying buzz seems to be gone, there is no dign of scorch marks, and money is very tight until at least January

How big a rush is this to address?

You’ll know when you hear a loud pop, and the panel turns black. 😮

Just kidding.

It is certainly something that should be fixed, but if he didn’t torque it off tightening the lug, it’s failure is probably not imminent.

The reason why it will start arcing is because any opening or split decreases the cross-sectional area of the conductor, reducing it’s current carrying capacity. Current will begin trying to jump the crack, causing arcing.

The higher voltage and the higher the current, the more chance for arcing.

Delta

Anonymous
    Inactive

He also is going to go buy an FL12. Hes still a flashlight in the mouth guy, but thats about to change

Shoulda told him to sign up here. We could use another Sparky on the board.

Delta

Shoulda told him to sign up here. We could use another Sparky on the board.

Delta

He missed the crack, was WAY off on what time he’d arrive, had the messiest truck Ive ever seen, couldnt find his flashlight (which is when he discovered the awesomeness that is the FL12) and is missing his left thumb from what he called a bad day on the job

He’s probably not a fit 🙂

Also, thanks to everyone for the expertise and the time. This is really appreciated. I know enough electrical to run a line or install a couple of outlets, but claim no expertise in it. Just enough knowledge to make a really dangerous mistake, so I leave electrical to the pros most of the time

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.495 seconds