dcsimg

Buzzing when boiler is on

This topic contains 53 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Seven-Delta-FortyOne 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 54 total)
  • Author

Hey guys. Question for any sparkys on here

I have a hot water baseboard heating system in my house, with the boiler being an electrical model (Hydra) that turns on when told to do so by the thermostat (ecobee3)

The issue is that when it is on, there is a buzzing noise in the bedroom wall where the power line comes to the house and goes straight down to the breaker panel.

As we tend to be in the bedroom at night and trying to sleep, this is annoying

Any ideas what it might be? Anything I could check/try myself before calling an electrician out?
    @tonyg any ideas?

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Is it only when the hot water boiler is working, or have you noticed if it comes on periodically
    Do you have that upgraded WiFi reader meter

Is it only when the hot water boiler is working, or have you noticed if it comes on periodically

Ive only ever noticed it when the boiler is on…

What upgraded meter?

Anonymous

I’m not sure how yours works but is the electrical heating element in the baseboard heater itself? Or is it the type that has a boiler somewhere else in the house and plumbed with water lines to the baseboard heater? That’s the only type I’ve seen…….But IF yours has the element in the baseboard heater it can make noise just like a hot water heater does, Perhaps you’re hearing that and it’s echoing up the wall??? Just a thought

I’m not sure how yours works but is the electrical heating element in the baseboard heater itself? Or is it the type that has a boiler somewhere else in the house and plumbed with water lines to the baseboard heater? That’s the only type I’ve seen…….But IF yours has the element in the baseboard heater it can make noise just like a hot water heater does, Perhaps you’re hearing that and it’s echoing up the wall??? Just a thought

Its a single boiler in the basement that the hydronic system is plumbed to. One zone only, and its electric only. No gas or oil

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

What upgraded meter?

Hydro was installing all those new digital type, they are working WiFi, no more need for the people to show up and read the meters, I have heard people complain about some issues with them, noises and other complaints.

Nope. Mine is digital, but nowhere near recent. No wifi

What upgraded meter?

Hydro was installing all those new digital type, they are working WiFi, no more need for the people to show up and read the meters, I have heard people complain about some issues with them, noises and other complaints.

Nope. Mine is digital, but at least a decade old, and no wifi

Guy still shows up

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

When was it installed and has it been doing this since it was installed?

Kevin.

Support your local VIKING.

When was it installed and has it been doing this since it was installed?

Unknown. Was installed about 10-15 years ago, but we only bouht the house in 2014. Been doing it to some extent since we got it

Have you called the unity company out to
    Check your meter out . I never even knew that they made electric boilers . Just seen oil or gas units . Must be crazy money to run during the heating season .

Always willing to learn .

Anonymous

Maybe it’s air or steam in the lines?

Have you called the unity company out to
    Check your meter out . I never even knew that they made electric boilers . Just seen oil or gas units . Must be crazy money to run during the heating season .

Im going to do that, I guess.

Not too bad on the cost. Hydro power is dirt cheap here, so gas would be much worse. Still about 1K per 2 months in winter, but thats because the house has limited insulation (Ive been working on improving that)

Gas would cost me 30K just to run the lines to the house…

@dabbs

Ive bled the lines often enough that I doubt it. Sounds like a wasp is in my ear when the buzzing is happening.

@boschmanbrian
    You might be onto something. Hydro Quebec lists issues with a loose wire at the branch causing noise, and makes sure to make it clear that it is my concern to fix…. Guess Im reaching out to an electrician to tie the wires in the outdoor conduit and to tighten the connectors…. Im near the train, so vibrations may have knocked something loose

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I would bet it is a loose wire or something in the meter also.

We had a gas meter that would whistle when more that one gas appliance was using gas in a house. after we had a couple meters changed, it finally went away.

Is it city gas or private gas company . Do you live on a city street . Thought cities pipeid in gas lines for its residence . 30k is a lot of coin for sure. .

Is it city gas or private gas company . Do you live on a city street . Thought cities pipeid in gas lines for its residence . 30k is a lot of coin for sure. .

Major city street, but we have a private gas company who has a monopoly. They charge 100 bucks per yard (metre, but close enough) from the nearest line, so Im only 300 yards away on a 75 year old city street.

Gas isnt a big part of our choices here. Costs more and no benefit

Electric is chap and generated from hydroelectric so its clean power (once the power plant is built)

But I would have gotten it for a fireplace if it was cheap enough

Major city street, but we have a private gas company who has a monopoly. They charge 100 bucks per yard (metre, but close enough) from the nearest line, so Im only 300 yards away on a 75 year old city street.

Gas isnt a big part of our choices here. Costs more and no benefit

Electric is chap and generated from hydroelectric so its clean power (once the power plant is built)

But I would have gotten it for a fireplace if it was cheap enough

They don’t even need to dig up the dirt anymore . With the techkonwldege of under gorund directional boring laying the plastic pipeing . Were I use to live they stop digging up the streets .

TonyG
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Things that typically cause “buzzing noises” when it comes to electricity are: Electronic ballasts (used in lights probably not the issue here) transformers, breakers that are on the verge of going bad and loose connections where the electricity is arcing/jumping to make contact in devices or junction boxes etc. I would do a visual inspection of everything you can safely see or feel comfortable taking apart. Being that it is coming from the wall where the meter and panel are. I agree with having the electric company out to check (if they will) and if you are comfortable doing so take the panel cover off and check things out in there.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Could the hmmm be coming from the circulator? I was wondering about the transformer as well

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

Don’t know how things are there, but here, anything past the meter is private, meaning it’s on you, and everything before the meter is the power company responsibility.

If i was going to do the service call, I’d start by looking at the overall condition of the panel, checking for physically loose wires, especially into breakers, I’d put a clamp meter on the main line, and the boiler branch circuit, and see what it’s puling under load, and I’d check temps with a IR thermometer.

If you don’t have those testers, or are unfamiliar with how to interpret the findings, you might just want to call an electrician out to take a look.

If it’s not an electronic control circuit, then an overload/loose connection would be the next place I’d look.

Delta

Goin' Down In Flames........

So, the noise is outside, where the power line drops down and enters the outside conduit. It is before it hits the meter.

The buzzing cannot be heard at the furnace/boiler or at the breaker box, just in the wall behind the drop and outdoors next to it.

Hmmm…. maybe it should be the power company

Not screwing with power on that side of the breakers…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.768 seconds