dcsimg

Bumping old threads

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    mommozz
    Pro

While I don’t indulge myself in online forums often, the ones that I do, people get mad for bumping old threads. And when I mean old, they could be just like couple of months ago. I’ve seen some bumps that are on threads that are like 5 years old, but what’s wrong with that if it’s relevant?

How is bumping old threads like on BTP?

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Some people might give you some grief for it but I don’t see any issues as long as it’s relevant content

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

@mommozz
    Everything up to 1 year is totally fine. Just type “” Old Thread Warning “” or something similar when you revive a thread around that time/age.

I haven’t seen yet that someone revived a threat which was +2 years old.
    But I would say a thread which is older than 1.5 years should not get revived.
    (It might depends on the thread, if it comes to it…you can always send a pm to the admin or a moderator)

Once there were some rules but somehow they got wipe out or changed…

Are you looking at a specific thread or just asking in general?

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

Doobie

I’ve revived some real oldies, but it’s because it was relevant to do so with what I may have wanted to add or ask about. When someone does it with little or nothing of value to add it’s viewed as a points grab and is highly frowned upon on this forum.

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

As long as it’s relevant id see no issue regardless of age, especially if it were pertaining to a situation that you can either give additional input / advice or have encountered a scenario that wasn’t discussed.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I would say if it is relevant do it even if it is real old. better to keep similar information in one thread than than have a bunch of threads on the same topic. Older members seem to bump threads more as they know they are there. newer members seem to start new ones more often. good either way,

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

I caught some flack for bring up a old thread (less than a yr old) and a few people didn’t like, but most was OK as long as it was relevant. New people like and me a who read some of the old thread want to comment on it. Just like @kswiss said. Some people thing new people shouldn’tcomment and bring up old threads while most of us pretty much don’t care.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Here’s the scoop…if you are bumping an old thread for a legitimate purpose, then its okay. Simply “chiming in” on a old thread is where you’ll get into trouble.

If you are in the same situation as the original poster, or need similar advice, post away…the bottom line is that the post needs to be relevant. Commenting just to do so is frowned upon in old threads.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

mommozz
    Pro

All right thanks for the replies. I’ve been lurking this site for a while and as I was browsing I wanted to comment on certain things but was too lazy to sign up.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I caught some flack for bring up a old thread (less than a yr old) and a few people didn’t like, but most was OK as long as it was relevant. New people like and me a who read some of the old thread want to comment on it. Just like @kswiss said. Some people thing new people shouldn’tcomment and bring up old threads while most of us pretty much don’t care.

Don’t feel bad I have been there too. I am still learning the process here.

Here’s the scoop…if you are bumping an old thread for a legitimate purpose, then its okay. Simply “chiming in” on a old thread is where you’ll get into trouble.

If you are in the same situation as the original poster, or need similar advice, post away…the bottom line is that the post needs to be relevant. Commenting just to do so is frowned upon in old threads.

I understand what you saying.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I am just wondering when you class a thread old?

Greg

Think the old threads had some good info.

Doobie

My rule of thumb is I preface a post with the OTW all in caps when a thread hasn’t been posted on for a month and a half or longer.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

My rule of thumb is I preface a post with the OTW all in caps when a thread hasn’t been posted on for a month and a half or longer.

Ok thanks this makes sense.

Greg

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.505 seconds