dcsimg

Built in project

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    aa_custom
    Pro
    PIttsburgh, PA

Here’s a project I recently completed. Shared it on another site, figured I would share it here.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I don’t see any pics or link 🙁

aa_custom
    Pro
    PIttsburgh, PA

See if that works…

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Looks nice. We have a similar fireplace and entertainment center coming up.

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

Looks good! Is the piece something you designed?

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

aa_custom
    Pro
    PIttsburgh, PA

Thanks,

Chad, I built the project based off of (very rudimentary) drawings the client gave me. Fireplace and mantle were existing.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

Nice work , it looks great !

monman1
    Pro

Looks really nice!

Member since April 4, 2014

doer of all , master of none.

Nice job of completing their ideas and nice build

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Nice work! I’ll be doing a built in like this for my brother and sister in law in a few months. Subtract the fireplace and add a 55″ LED TV though.

What’s the length of the wall? About 18 ft?

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

aa_custom
    Pro
    PIttsburgh, PA

The units were about 4.5 feet wide, and the fireplace is about 6 feet. So yeah, 17-18 feet.

Got my butt kicked on the finishing part of this. This was my first spray job, and I totally underestimated the sheer amount of prep to get a good finish. Spraying totally renders false the old “a little caulk, a little paint” saying.

kzcarp
    Pro

Agree with everyone, very nice job. How ’bout some details on the finish part. I’m working at upping my finishing game too. Still a little squeamish about spraying a customer piece, especially on site.

kevin

aa_custom
    Pro
    PIttsburgh, PA

I did the bulk of the finish off site.

I picked up a graco true coat to see if its something I wanted to pursue. It got pretty good reviews compared to their higher priced models. the one I got isn’t rebuildable, so it was pretty cheap, but seemed to work well for me.

I sprayed 2 coats of bin primer, sanded to 150 between each coat with my festool ets 125. Then sprayed 2 more coats of sherwin williams pro classic, sanded to 240 grit on the first coat. I ended up missing some small spots, and getting a couple scratched during install, so I opted to do one final pass on site with the pro classic and a mini foam roller.

The doors and adjustable shelves turned out great though. Smooth as glass.

staker
    Pro

Looks great. I am still doing the old type finish with a brush and roller, maybe some day I might invest in a spray system. I think it is a big learning curve.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Looks good. Did you finish them with lacquer or paint?
    At 4.5 ft are you worried about the shelves sagging after time?

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

aa_custom
    Pro
    PIttsburgh, PA

Shelves are 3/4 poplar ply with 3/4 x 1 1/2 poplar apron attached with dominos, dadoed into each side of the cab and glued and screwed from the back. The back is 1/2″ birch ply. I’d hope they would be pretty sturdy after all that.

I used sherwin williams pro classic for the paint. Its an alkyd enamel.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

The 1 1/2 will definitely help. I have sprayed the pro classic before with good results.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

The units were about 4.5 feet wide, and the fireplace is about 6 feet. So yeah, 17-18 feet.

Got my butt kicked on the finishing part of this. This was my first spray job, and I totally underestimated the sheer amount of prep to get a good finish. Spraying totally renders false the old “a little caulk, a little paint” saying.

Very nice work. Always nice to have storage.

kzcarp
    Pro

Thanks for sharing that info. Sorry to derail the thread, I’ve been using Ben Moore Advance Waterborne Alkyd. Wondering about other options, including the SW proclassic and Insl-X. I hear different results from different users, especially about hard cure time.

Stupid Q. Did you screw the shelves through from back ?
    kevin

aa_custom
    Pro
    PIttsburgh, PA

No worries. The cure time actually did seem to be quite a bit longer than it said on the label. A good 48 hours or so. Maybe the temp had something to do with that.

And yes, the shelves were screwed in from the back, as well as dadoed into the sides.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.496 seconds