dcsimg

BTP Tricks and Tips

This topic contains 155 replies, has 43 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Kevin Doobie 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 152 total)
  • Author

Hey all,

I am thinking that having a topic for listing various tips and tricks that we have found using BTP could be helpful – especially to new guys to the site.

Keep in mind that the topic for improvements to the site is here:
    http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/btp-improvements/

Back to the topic at hand: quick tips

Aside from going to the main page (where you can see the most recent topics that have been commented on) I actually prefer to go to http://www.bethepro.com/topics to see the most recent posts. This is my go-to shortcut on BTP.

That way I can right click on the page #, and open a new window of all of the most recent comments. If you are not familiar to the topic, I still recommend reading the 1st page so as to help keep us on topic, and then reading one or two pages back (if it is a long thread) is also ideal…

Also, clicking on ‘pro forum’ at the top of the site is a really helpful link since it shows all the major topic categories and when they have had recent comments… and after clicking on the topic, you are able to see all the posts specific to that field.

Any other pointers?

John S

One other pointer I have is in regards to searching for topics. The easiest way I have found to do this is via http://www.bethepro.com/topics – the search function there does a really great job (if you type a few keywords) finding topics from the past that we have already begun… especially since there are starting to be quite a few topics!

FYI – the search engine in the top right of any page on BTP shows both articles and forum topics/posts.

Edit – please try really hard to restrain yourself on this topic from complaining about issues at BTP – do that at the other link I listed above on forum improvements 😛

John S

Profile photo of Jason
    MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

This may not be news to anyone but you never know:

If you want to get an E-mail every time someone posts on a topic of interest just click the box below the comment section that says “Notify me of follow-up replies via email”.

Profile photo of Jerry
    jdw1865
    Pro
    Skiatook, OK

What do the favorite and subscribe links do? they are located at the top of the first comment on a topic.

BTW Great Job on laying out the function of the site John.

Profile photo of Boyd
    Anonymous

John, Thanks for this info. I didn’t know about the first link you posted. That’s much better than the way I’ve been doing it. And I’ve saved the link in my favorites for quick reference….. I like that it is a continuation of the list on the main page and is listed in order from the time of the latest post…(Hope that made sense) 🙂

John, Thanks for this info. I didn’t know about the first link you posted. That’s much better than the way I’ve been doing it. And I’ve saved the link in my favorites for quick reference….. I like that it is a continuation of the list on the main page and is listed in order from the time of the latest post…(Hope that made sense) :)

That makes sense Boyd and that is exactly why I like seeing that list!

I am not sure what favoriting does, but I think subscribing means you get emails every time somebody comments on that thread…

Attachments:

John S

For the new folks the prize list is easily accessible as a drop down box under the Pro Forum listing in the center at the top of the page. It took me awhile to figure that out.

Profile photo of Boyd
    Anonymous

John, Thanks for this info. I didn’t know about the first link you posted. That’s much better than the way I’ve been doing it. And I’ve saved the link in my favorites for quick reference….. I like that it is a continuation of the list on the main page and is listed in order from the time of the latest post…(Hope that made sense) :)

That makes sense Boyd and that is exactly why I like seeing that list!

I am not sure what favoriting does, but I think subscribing means you get emails every time somebody comments on that thread…

I always click the ‘Notify me of follow-up replies via email’ box below if I think I may be able to contribute to a thread later..

I bookmarked that link and it is great for when I first come on but how do I get back to it? Once I get going I’d like to look at it again. Is there a short cut to it handy? Thanks

For the new folks the prize list is easily accessible as a drop down box under the Pro Forum listing in the center at the top of the page. It took me awhile to figure that out.

Well, Lon summed how to redeem points in a nutshell perfectly. Like he said, go to the top of any BTP page and put your mouse over the ’pro forum’ but don’t click… it will drop down and show ’win prizes’. click there and all the info is there.

To cheat, here is the link and I am copying/pasting key info from there as well

http://bethepro.com/redeem-your-community-points/

‘Once you have started earning points, you can redeem them for the following prizes. To redeem points for a prize, send an email to points@bethepro.com with your username, mailing address and desired prize. This list will be updated as prizes are redeemed and as more products become available.’

So, email Aaron (BTP site lead man) via points@bethepro.com with your username, mailing address and desired prize. Boom.

John S

Profile photo of Jim
    jim_hunt17
    Pro
    Milwaukee, WI

Man John you are the moderator of all moderators…Thanks for your time and effort dedicated to this thread..Really helpful

Jim H.
    Milwaukee, WI

Maybe I should convince Aaron to give me that as my title under my username 😛 haha just kidding

John S

Here is an important tip regarding the ‘rules’ of BTP – you could read through them all here:
    http://bethepro.com/forum-terms-of-use-rules/

or you could read an update on some things Aaron has been seeing in terms of etiquette here: http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/reminder-about-posting-etiquitte-on-the-pro-forum/

Or, for a very oversimplified summary:

Try not to double post
    Stay on topic
    Keep it appropriate
    Be nice to all
    No advertising
    Post meaningfully

Thanks all!

John S

Profile photo of Jim
    jim_hunt17
    Pro
    Milwaukee, WI

Dirty just go to your settings and where it would allow you to change your name just type in that great location that you live in.

Jim H.
    Milwaukee, WI

I use wood glue and a quart will last me about a year at present.

I recently had the benefit of investing in a gallon of TiteBond III. I was concerned as the life of wood glue is between 1 & 2 years.

I came up with an idea of possibly increasing that time frame and did some research to confirm what I thought would work. I even called TiteBond and talked to one of their experts. He confirmed that my idea should work.

Here is what I did:

Several years ago we had invested in a FoodSaver Vacuum Sealer. I have acquired some accessories for this unit, including the adapter to vacuum seal canning jars. I purchase some canning jars and some lids and rings for the jars. I filled the jars to a good level leaving a little room at the top. I put the lid on and vacuumed the jars sealing them. When they were finished I would remove the adapter and screw a ring in place for added security.

Since air is what causes glue to dry and lose it adhesive strength, this procedure should prevent that and extend the life of the glue. A small investment that will pay big dividends as I will be able to reuse the jars many times over. This will now make it possible for me to take advantage of larger volume buys, thus keeping my cost down and making sure I have an adequate supply available.

Great tip Randy. You could do the same with partially used cans of finish.

Great tip Randy. You could do the same with partially used cans of finish.

Really wise thoughts you guys. I have always been skeptical about those vacuum sealers, but it sounds like you are really able to use it wisely!

Go ahead and try to keep this topic dedicated to tricks and tips about navigating using BTP and keep bringing on the woodworking tips over here:

http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/misc-woodworking-tips-and-tricks/

John S

Profile photo of Jerry
    jdw1865
    Pro
    Skiatook, OK

Great Idea Randy. I already have a vaccuum sealer we use in the kitchen just need some jars to keep the stuff in.

John,

I just moved my tip to the correct page. So this can be removed to keep this page as originally intended.

Thanks for the new page. I believe it will be a very popular page with a lot of help for all of us.

To the finish question: yes, this will work for finish and paint as well.

Profile photo of Boyd
    Anonymous

Great tip Randy, Are you a new member? If so Welcome aboard

John,

I just moved my tip to the correct page. So this can be removed to keep this page as originally intended.

Thanks for the new page. I believe it will be a very popular page with a lot of help for all of us.

To the finish question: yes, this will work for finish and paint as well.

Thanks Randy! We are glad you are posting on the site! You have already provided some really helpful insight! We could all benefit massively if everyone shared a few of the tips that help them save time or ways they have found to do common tasks faster, etc….

Here is a more advanced BTP tip: to message somebody, you can always click on their username (ex: I would click on “Boyd” to get to his profile) and then you would see the option to send him a private or public message.

You could ALSO go to your own profile by clicking on it in the top right corner (howdy, John S)… and then, go to messages… then click compose… and then, for the “send to” you need to use the person’s PROFILE name, not the one that is necessarily displayed on all of the topics.. example: Boyd’s DISPLAY name is well, Boyd. BUT his USERNAME is actually dabbs. So, to send him a message, you would type in “dabbs” (without the quotes) to send him a message. You can send a message to more than one user by separating them with commas…

Hope that helps. This is most helpful for when you want to send a message to more than one person

John S

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 152 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 2.501 seconds