dcsimg

BTP Reviews: Bosch GLM 15 Laser Measuring Device

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

@geordie99

Thanks. I darn near bought one last fall. We were laying out a foundation for 2 houses to be move on to. No error allowed.

Our fiberglass tapes were not consistent and drove me nuts, we got a steel tape and it was much better.

Now I am laying out playgrounds and spray parks. May have to reconsider.

Is it hard to use in the sunshine ??

that is a very interesting question, i’ll have to test that out later today.

@lakelover – I have never had a need to use it outdoors but from what I understand, it is a little difficult to use in bright sunlight.

Cheers

@geordie99

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

The GLM 50 wrks well outdoors. I don’t see why this one wouldn’t. If you can see where the dotnis hitting, you can use it. Sunlight doesn’t effect it, just makes it a little more difficult to see the red dot.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

@lakelover – I have never had a need to use it outdoors but from what I understand, it is a little difficult to use in bright sunlight.

Cheers

@geordie99

I didn’t have a problem using it in the bright sunlight. I even pointed towards the sun and it worked great.

Cheers @jponto07 – As I mentioned, I’ve never used it outside so thanks for the insight. Good to know!!

Lakelover
    Pro
    Fort Qu'Appelle, SK

Thanks Guys.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Once again, great review and welcome to BTP. I can’t utilize the GLM15 like I would like to in my environment and specific tasks at the moment. Your review brought me to giving it to our Foreman on site for his tasks (entire building restoration, balconies, masonry, sheer walls all suspended access). I like this idea and see a great outcome. Awesome stuff to have such a great intro of your membership here at BTP.

A Working Pro since 2004

redwood
    Pro

The only issue with using any laser outside is seeing the dot or line. Sometimes a laser target will help or taping up a sheet of paper.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

The only issue with using any laser outside is seeing the dot or line. Sometimes a laser target will help or taping up a sheet of paper.

I think they are more of a indoor tool. I fine them useless outside and don’t even try.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

I think they are more of a indoor tool. I fine them useless outside and don’t even try.

Isn’t there a model with a pair of glasses or something to make it easier to see the laser outside?

A Working Pro since 2004

Toolshead
    Pro
    In the Rice Fields, South TX

<P> @lakelover – I have never had a need to use it outdoors but from what I understand, it is a little difficult to use in bright sunlight. </P>
    <P>Cheers</P>

<P> @geordie99</P>
    <P>Is it hard to use in the sunshine ??</P>

<P>I didn’t have a problem using it in the bright sunlight. I even pointed towards the sun and it worked great.</P>

That’s out of range isn’t it?
    What did it read?

<P>The only issue with using any laser outside is seeing the dot or line. Sometimes a laser target will help or taping up a sheet of paper.</P>

<P>I think they are more of a indoor tool. I fine them useless outside and don’t even try.</P>

<P>Isn’t there a model with a pair of glasses or something to make it easier to see the laser outside?</P>

There are numerous laser targets and receivers available or included with some. Google Bosch laser target or Bosch laser receiver . Check http://www.boschtools.com/Products/Tools/Pages/ItemResults.aspx?catid=1579.

http://www.boschtools.com/Products/Tools/Pages/BoschProductDetail.aspx?
    pid=DLA002
    and
    http://www.boschtools.com/Products/Tools/Pages/BoschProductDetail.aspx?pid=lr2

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

@Toolshead nono I mean I pointed towards the roof while in the same direction as the sun. It gave me readings from where I was to the roof.

yes when I was testing this outside in bright sunlight this was one of the main problems I was encountering. I had to find a location close to me then move it towards the target.

Jpg-woodworking
    Pro
    Tallahassee, FL

Any of you guys using the GLM 15’s have problems with mild drops? I’ve killed 2 of them now that have fallen off counter height or less a single time. The first one knocked the laser at an angle, the second one only gives a reading about 1 in every 5-6 tries now.

I realize they are precision tools and should be treated with care, but things happen in construction and it sucks for a tool to die completely from a minor incident. They’ve come down to $30 from $50 at Home Depot today, so they are getting borderline disposable, but it would be nice if they held up a little better.

Their more expensive ones might be more durable, but I don’t really want the complications of all the extra buttons and features. I still have trouble working my iPhone and I’ve had one for 10 years now…

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Any of you guys using the GLM 15’s have problems with mild drops? I’ve killed 2 of them now that have fallen off counter height or less a single time. The first one knocked the laser at an angle, the second one only gives a reading about 1 in every 5-6 tries now.

I realize they are precision tools and should be treated with care, but things happen in construction and it sucks for a tool to die completely from a minor incident. They’ve come down to $30 from $50 at Home Depot today, so they are getting borderline disposable, but it would be nice if they held up a little better.

Their more expensive ones might be more durable, but I don’t really want the complications of all the extra buttons and features. I still have trouble working my iPhone and I’ve had one for 10 years now…

My GLM 50 has taken a number of spills, but it’s still just as good as the day I bought it.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I haven’t had any major drops with it just yet but i’ll have to keep that in mind as i don’t want to go out and replace it. I think the price drops right now are temporary till they replace the glm15 with a newer model

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Didnt realize they were that cheap I am Going to have to pick one up.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

They’ve come down to $30 from $50 at Home Depot today,

Now that the GLM20 is out the GLM15s are dropping in price.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I’ve dropped my GLM15 a couple of times now and it is still working as it should. No issues at all.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

I dropped my DLR130 and GLM80 a couple times already and nothing happened to them.
    I’m not sure if the GLM15’s build “cheaper” than other LDM units.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I dropped my DLR130 and GLM80 a couple times already and nothing happened to them.
    I’m not sure if the GLM15’s build “cheaper” than other LDM units.

it seems pretty sturdy to me, I guess when mine bites the dust, i’ll take it apart to see what it looks like inside.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.590 seconds