dcsimg

BTP Reviews: Bosch GLM 15 Laser Measuring Device

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 43 total)
  • Author

For a long time, I’ve baulked at using a laser measuring device because I’ve always relied on trusty, “old school” methods. My tape measure has never let me down so why the need?

I have to say that after biting the bullet and purchasing the GLM 15, this little gem has quickly become one of my new favourite tools. It is not laden with unnecessary features that complicate things, but rather keeps it super simple – so much so that one button is all it needs and most will be able to intuitively use it straight out of the box.

The unit itself measures approximately 4” x 1.5” x 1”, with a claimed accuracy of ± 1/8”(well within those limits, with the measurements that I have taken) and a measuring range of 6” to 50’. The tool is ultra-compact, It fits nicely in the hand, and the rubber overmold makes it easy to keep a good grip on it. Power is supplied by 2 alkaline AAA batteries (which are included) and a single press of the button will turn the unit on and activate the laser. As you walk around, you will see the measurements change as you get closer or further away from the object where you are measuring to.

To power it off, hold the button for 3 seconds and it will automatically shut down. Units are changed between metric and imperial by holding the “ON” button until “UNITS” are showing on the display. The display will flash between metric and imperial and to select, you let go of the button when the unit of measure that you want is on the screen. That is shown in the attached video.

Measurement is taken from the bottom edge of the tool (where the black rubber molding is attached). I found that it can be sensitive if you don’t keep a steady hand and you will get fluctuations. Once you have the measurement, another press of the button brings up the “HOLD” feature and it stores the measurement for you. Press the button again and it will start the measurement process for you. If you then select “HOLD” again, it will stop the measurement process and you will see the previous measurement above the current measurement that you have on HOLD. I found that a nice feature for double checking a measurement.

I recently used the GLM 15 while mapping out a living room/hallway for a new laminate flooring installation. It was painfully obvious that the rooms in question were a mile out of square, the walls were not parallel and as such, contained many difficult dimensional fittings around bulkheads, etc. The GLM 15 excelled in mapping out the room and allowing me to create a detailed drawing before starting to think out how to lay the flooring. It saved me immeasurable time

The price is right and the tool is worth every penny – it does what it claims to do. I would highly recommend it to anyone considering a laser measuring device. If I could pick out one flaw, it would be that there is no pouch, or protective case included, as with its’ big brother, the GLM 50. Other than that, it’s a great deal.

Cheers,

Steve

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Nice review Steve. The video was a big plus. It does sound like a nice tool to keep handy. I have been holding off getting one myself. Maybe I should look into some of the options out there.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Thanks RonW……….I’m glad I bought it now that I’ve had a chance to use it and get used to what it does. For me, it’s the simplicity – you don’t have too many buttons and screen options to clutter things. I would really recommend this one. It saved me a ton of time in mapping out this house that I’m currently working on.

Cheers,

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Thanks for the review Steve. Glad to hear you are liking the tool. I have the GLM 50 and use it more often than I ever expected to. It’s a great asset!

Here’s the review I wrote about it :

http://bethepro.com/btp-review-the-bosch-laser-measure-tool-glm-50/

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

@jponto07 – great review and I think I might have to add one to my tool kit. I like its’ additional features that the GLM 15 is missing, and your review gave a great overview of the tool.

This forum is going to cost me a fortune……….lol

Cheers.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

That’s what the point system is for! Stick around a while and contribute and you’ll probably end up with some cool stuff!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

@jponto07 – great review and I think I might have to add one to my tool kit. I like its’ additional features that the GLM 15 is missing, and your review gave a great overview of the tool.

@geordie99
    , the forum does have a big influence on your tool buying for sure. 🙂 You will get exposed to a lot of tools you didn’t even know about.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Awesome review thanks for sharing. lots of details and great video

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Welcome to BTP and thanks for the review on the GLM15 and video. Great stuff! I have one that I don’t get to use to often because I’m outside in the sun. Wish I could use it more often. Sorta of wish this one also had a backlight at times indoors.

A Working Pro since 2004

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Great review, I just got one from Jim recently and I can’t wait to test it out this weekend re mapping out my rooms for the trim.

@r-ice, You’ll find it’ll be perfect for that application. I was able to map out the entire upper level in minutes.

TimelessQuality
    Pro
    Central America, (Kansas)

Measuring crown is one of the places the laser really shines

--Steve

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

Great review Steve ! How long have you been using this measuring device ?

@cranbrook2 – had it for about a month and bought it for a specific job. It performed flawlessly and did everything that I had hoped it would. I had some concerns initially with the accuracy, as compared to the old tape measure method but those fears were quickly allayed. It became a massive time saver and it’s takes away some of the awkwardness that sometimes accompanies using a tape measure. Not once did I need someone to hold the laser beam across the room…..lol.

cranbrook2
    Pro

@cranbrook2 – had it for about a month and bought it for a specific job. It performed flawlessly and did everything that I had hoped it would. I had some concerns initially with the accuracy, as compared to the old tape measure method but those fears were quickly allayed. It became a massive time saver and it’s takes away some of the awkwardness that sometimes accompanies using a tape measure. Not once did I need someone to hold the laser beam across the room…..lol.

That is one of the reasons I never thought much of them was because I was a bit skeptical on how accurate they are but after reading your review and seeing the video I will be getting one now 🙂

@cranbrook2 – Just make sure that before you press the button to take your measurement, that your tool is butted up solid against the object you are measuring from, and keep a steady hand. You will see fluctuations if the tool is moving a bit as you go to press the button to hold the measurement. It’s a bit of a learning curve but once you get that sorted. The measurements are spot on.

I don’t think you’ll be disappointed at all – in fact, quite the opposite 🙂

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

Great review Steve and welcome to BTP! By the looks of things you fit right in here!

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

cranbrook2
    Pro

@cranbrook2 – Just make sure that before you press the button to take your measurement, that your tool is butted up solid against the object you are measuring from, and keep a steady hand. You will see fluctuations if the tool is moving a bit as you go to press the button to hold the measurement. It’s a bit of a learning curve but once you get that sorted. The measurements are spot on.

I don’t think you’ll be disappointed at all – in fact, quite the opposite :-)

I think it would really come in handy outside especially if it is a breezy day , nothing worse than a floppy tape measure in the wind . :-)Like someone else mentioned crown moulding and baseboard would be a breeze too .

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

@geordie99,
    Steve great review and video, I just got this laser measure using my points.
    I was toying with it the minute I took it out of the package.
    Nice, small and simple.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Lakelover
    Pro
    Fort Qu'Appelle, SK

@geordie99

Thanks. I darn near bought one last fall. We were laying out a foundation for 2 houses to be move on to. No error allowed.

Our fiberglass tapes were not consistent and drove me nuts, we got a steel tape and it was much better.

Now I am laying out playgrounds and spray parks. May have to reconsider.

Is it hard to use in the sunshine ??

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.595 seconds