dcsimg

BTP Reviews Bosch 1380 Slim 4 1/2" Angle Grinder

This topic contains 33 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  rylim 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 21 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

What do you see as the advantage, if any, of the paddle switch?

The paddle switch will allow you start the grinder gradually or slowly. With the slider switch the grinder is either off or on. I would prefer a paddle switch. I have an 18V Bosch grinder and it has the slider switch. I would of preferred a paddle switch but the slider switch is OK. I think wit the loads a grinder generates a paddle switch may have been a weak point and burned out prematurely.

So paddle switch is variable speed? Dumb question but I’ve never used one.

Cheers @jstare. I guess I have done a few reviews lately but just trying to contribute something useful as opposed to “fluff” posts that people keep mentioning.

I appreciate the nice feedback, and rest assured, I’m quickly running out of tools to review, so you won’t have to put up with them much longer…..lol

As for the grinder, for a small, lightweight tool, it does everything that I need it to do and I’m more than happy with it. It didn’t break the wallet but is quality built. Bosch had a winner with this little gem.

Cheers,

@geordie99 you’ve really been doing a lot of reviews in a short period of time on the forum. Thanks for the review, good information about the grinder it sounds like they are a great lightweight grinder.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

The cordless Bosch grinder I have 4 1/2″ 18V has an on off switch, it’s on or it’s off, full speed. A paddle switch, trigger, etc, is a variable speed switch that would allow the user a soft start and to adjust the speed by how much he applies the switch.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

The cordless Bosch grinder I have 4 1/2″ 18V has an on off switch, it’s on or it’s off, full speed. A paddle switch, trigger, etc, is a variable speed switch that would allow the user a soft start and to adjust the speed by how much he applies the switch.

Interesting, I thought the variable speed grinders have a speed dial and a on/off switch, didn’t think it’s all in trigger.

When would you need to use a slower speed?

BryanT
    Blocked
    Lake Ariel, PA

Interesting, I thought the variable speed grinders have a speed dial and a on/off switch, didn’t think it’s all in trigger.

Yes, the variable speed grinders I have seen had a speed dial on the end of the barrel, and a simple on/off switch, either paddle or sliding style. Have not seen any variable speed grinders where the speed is governed by paddle alone like on air tools. Slower speeds make the grinder more controllable during some grinding and especially sanding (flap wheel). With proper attachments, even polishing becomes possible with a variable speed grinder.

BryanT

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I have only seen polishers with the speed dial. All of my grinders are air grinders so they have variable speed via the trigger. The first non air grinder I have is the Bosch 18V cordless, it is either on or off. No way to vary the speed. I have seen corded grinders with the speed dial (they were combination polisher/grinders) and have seen corded grinders with a trigger or paddle switch to vary the speed. Slower speeds are nice when starting or if you want more control in a tight area.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

BryanT
    Blocked
    Lake Ariel, PA

Some large, 7″ and 9″ right angle grinders have soft-start feature. This way grinder speeds up rather softly without jerking. Soft-start helps to reduce start up current and internal wear as well.

BryanT

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

I have only seen polishers with the speed dial. All of my grinders are air grinders so they have variable speed via the trigger. The first non air grinder I have is the Bosch 18V cordless, it is either on or off. No way to vary the speed. I have seen corded grinders with the speed dial (they were combination polisher/grinders) and have seen corded grinders with a trigger or paddle switch to vary the speed. Slower speeds are nice when starting or if you want more control in a tight area.

Sounds like a fast way to polish large surfaces, I’ve never had any variable speed grinders, next time I get a new one I’ll have to get a variable speed to see how they work.

gomoto69
    Pro
    salmon arm, bc

Thanks for the review, i think i need one! I usually have a stable of about 5 4 1/2″ grinders, i do a lot of metal working projects and find i save a ton of time by having each set up with a different wheel, usually a grinding wheel, cut off, wire brush, a course flappy sander and a finer one. I have mostly canadian tire models, because it’s hard to resist when they go on sale for about $25. Also have an old craftsman, which i like and a new mini dewalt, which i’m not impressed with, but at least it has a good cord, i hate cheap cords!

jaydee
    Pro
    Spencer, Ma., happy 2015

nice review, thanks..

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Great review, I have the 1375 have had it for about 5 years or more. Have done numerous jobs with it, cut tiles, patio stone, and even grinding some concrete that I poured for my old gazebo. I just changed the handle, I got one from work.

Good little grinder for the price
    Nice review you put together. Thanks

@boschmanbrian – many thanks! Said grinder, and all of its’ various accessories, has now found a new home in one of those fine Bosch bags that you so graciously sent my way…….. 🙂

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

@boschmanbrian – many thanks! Said grinder, and all of its’ various accessories, has now found a new home in one of those fine Bosch bags that you so graciously sent my way…….. :-)

Your welcome, it’s my pleasure. Glad you are using it.

rylim
    Pro
    Missouri City, Texas

The slower speed would be useful in stainless steel grinding. That’s why some grinders are labeled with INOX ( for stainless steel ).

Viewing 14 posts - 21 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.077 seconds