dcsimg

BTP Review – Shop Fox W1826 1hp Wall Dust Collector

This topic contains 24 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  smallerstick 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Love the way you set us up for the review – dust collection definitely has a myriad of opinions, so thanks for walking us through your thoughts. I’m hoping to upgrade my set up to a DC some day too – for now it’s just a shop vac and a chip separator, but that’s working ok. It’s nice to know that for just a few hundred bucks there are some good options though.

Shop vac and a separator is what a lot of us started with. It’s a fine way to establish housekeeping habits in the shop and set yourself up for the next level.

Plus, many of the first “shop tools” out there have the smaller shop vac sized ports if anything at all, so its a great way to start.

And everyone either already has one, or can get one cheap

redwood
    Pro

Another issue that has not been addressed here yet is duct placement. Under floor, mid wall or overhead are the main choices. I chose mid wall to minimize the lift required to handle chips and dust.

Unfortunately, mid wall is not a option for me. I’m concerned that having to lift everything from overhead will not really be a improvement over the flexible duct on the floor.

I am a bit embarrassed to show a pic of my setup, but I’m used to it. I have my dust collector centered in the shop with 6 branches coming off of it. Each branch has a blast gate. The only run going overhead is the one to the CNC machine.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

instead of mounting it to a wall you could try mounting to a cart. I’ve seen my large mini gorilla utilizing the wall mount to be mounted to a cart with casters. I didn’t do it because it cost another 100 dollars just for the mount, wished I had gotten that over the three leg caster setup.

instead of mounting it to a wall you could try mounting to a cart. I’ve seen my large mini gorilla utilizing the wall mount to be mounted to a cart with casters. I didn’t do it because it cost another 100 dollars just for the mount, wished I had gotten that over the three leg caster setup.

Its an option, but I have a serious lack of floor space, and my layout means no long runs anyways.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

I am a bit embarrassed to show a pic of my setup, but I’m used to it. I have my dust collector centered in the shop with 6 branches coming off of it. Each branch has a blast gate. The only run going overhead is the one to the CNC machine.

Every setup is different, Mark, and the bottom line for all of us should be; if it works for you, that’s a good thing. We can all pick up tips here to tweak our own systems or design a new one. I’m grateful to everyone who has shared here, I have learned a lot.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it muffles the sound.

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.753 seconds