dcsimg

BTP Review – Makita 18V X2 LXT Plunge Cut Saw (XPS01PTJ)

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

thats awesome brian, sounds like a true work horse. wish i had some good questinos to ask but as crazy as it sounds, i have yet to use a track saw.. maybe when the rumored bosch unit comes to north america ill get the chance

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

redwood
    Pro

That’s great Eric, I wish I had gotten a Makita to review rather then the DeWalt, since I am still heavy into the Makita cordless lineup. I’ll be selling the DeWalt soon.

It’s sounds like you got much better runtime with the Makita then I did with the 5.0AH 60Flexvolt battery. I guess that’s because you are using 2 5.0AH batteries. Then again, I have Makita’s 2x blower and I don’t get more then a 1/2 hour of solid use.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

That’s great Eric, I wish I had gotten a Makita to review rather then the DeWalt, since I am still heavy into the Makita cordless lineup. I’ll be selling the DeWalt soon.

It’s sounds like you got much better runtime with the Makita then I did with the 5.0AH 60Flexvolt battery. I guess that’s because you are using 2 5.0AH batteries. Then again, I have Makita’s 2x blower and I don’t get more then a 1/2 hour of solid use.

I’m not shocked. Thats about what I get from my Ego 56v sporting a 4.0 battery. Pretty close really

The Makita is a hell of a saw. I really had been holding out for the Bosch when a great deal came in on the corded model, and once I was all kitted out with rails and accessories, the cordless model was that much easier of a jump. I’m very happy with it, and finding new uses for it every day. I may even store the 4100 table saw and Axial glide miter saw away and pull them out only as-needed. Its that useful of a saw. Add in a router for dadoes and on a perforated worktop, its a win

thats awesome brian, sounds like a true work horse. wish i had some good questinos to ask but as crazy as it sounds, i have yet to use a track saw.. maybe when the rumored bosch unit comes to north america ill get the chance

Eric actually 🙂 No worries…
    Hopefully the Bosch is coming. If you found yourself around Montreal, I’d gladly loan you mine to try. Its a game changer. Seems to be a glorified circular saw on a straightedge until you use it….

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Hey Eric, what an awesome review and cool tool, thanks for sharing!
    Any difference in performance using 6.0Ah batteries?

No idea. I’ve only ever used the 5.0

I believe it only adds more runtime because they have the same cells.

I have to find a chat which a had with a friend from Australia, and he got pretty different results swapping Makita batteries for 6.0Ah, using x2 36V Makita tools, like that Eric’s saw.
    I know Makita use all same cells for all18v packs, but not odd enough, this mate got interesting results, I’ll check here and let you know.

Sounds like a plan. I am definitely looking forward to it and perhaps others as well

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Then again, I have Makita’s 2x blower and I don’t get more then a 1/2 hour of solid use.

That blower is a hog on the batteries!!!

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Very nice review, Thank you for taking the time to do and post it.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

Very nice review, Thank you for taking the time to do and post it.

Thanks!

whitehill
    Pro
    Ottawa, ON

I may get the cordless saw.

This part connects the SP6000 to 1-1/4″ Vacuum Hose:
    https://www.makita.ca/index2.php?event=newaccessorydetailstemp&id=119&catid=6

And this dust bag is supposed to fit the SP6000:
    https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/122562-9

So I’m wondering if they will work with the XPS01PTJ.

@montreal_woodworks
    , is the dust port the same size on the corded and cordless models?

I may get the cordless saw.

This part connects the SP6000 to 1-1/4″ Vacuum Hose:
    https://www.makita.ca/index2.php?event=newaccessorydetailstemp&id=119&catid=6

And this dust bag is supposed to fit the SP6000:
    https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/122562-9

So I’m wondering if they will work with the XPS01PTJ.
    @montreal_woodworks, is the dust port the same size on the corded and cordless models?

Identical. Its the same component part number.

I did something different. I went with the Festool dust bag kit. Comes with a new port that fits (after a slight shaving of a plastic nub on the Festool port – nothing that hurts the Makita at all)
    http://www.atlas-machinery.com/500393A/

From what I heard, the better option is the Mafell version though.
    https://www.timberwolftools.com/mt55-kss50-dust-bag

Attachments:
    whitehill
    Pro
    Ottawa, ON

Thanks. Looking at your photos more closely I now see that you switched the original Makita port for the Festool adaptor. Great fit.

whitehill
    Pro
    Ottawa, ON

What would make the Mafell bag a better option? I searched unsuccessfully for info about using it.

xtsallad
    Pro
    Dallas, TX

Thanks for the great review!

I recently got this Makita cordless Track Saw and had previously bought the DeWalt cordless track saw last summer. I agree with your assessment of the Makita. I have been using it side by side with the dewalt on a large project running both saws on cut tables side by side. We were using the saws production style with constant repetitive cuts. We fabricated 190 hexagonal pedestals with metered joints from 12mm ply. We ran four 5.0 ah batteries for the Makita saw and it would get around 1.5 hours of constant repetitive cuts at either 30 degrees or 45 degrees with a few 90 degree cuts sprinkled in. It did seem to take as long to set the track as it did to make each cut. We used templates we made to layout our cut references on the full sheets so the saw wasn’t running during the layout but that usually only took about two minutes. For most jobs I could see it lasting all day or at least half a day and it seemed to keep constant power until it would cut out in the middle of a cut. Usually we could finish the cut before changing out the batteries. I really like both saws and I can’t say that I have a preference for one over the other but the main difference I noticed is the tendency for the makita to try to kick back or even just feel like it wants to kick back. The Dewalt has never felt like it wants to kick back once and we’ve done around 2k cuts each. The Makita now has a cut in the track from a kickback. They each have their differences and their own strengths.

j

What would make the Mafell bag a better option? I searched unsuccessfully for info about using it.

The Festool bag is excellent and gets far more of the dust than I would have ever imagined from a passive bag, but it does rub pretty close to the Makita saw, especially when cutting at a bevel.

To offset that, I opened up the bag and used a chisel to shave down the plastic structure/cage of the bag where it was rubbing the saw. It was a successful operation

The Mafell just works. Plus it can be added to any other tool with that size port

Shame shipping is about 50$ US to Canada, for a small 50$ bag.

whitehill
    Pro
    Ottawa, ON

Thanks for the useful information!

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

but the main difference I noticed is the tendency for the makita to try to kick back or even just feel like it wants to kick back. The Dewalt has never felt like it wants to kick back once and we’ve done around 2k cuts each.

I wonder why the Makita feels that way?? Is it because the Makita has more power? I know with my corded Makita I have to becareful of kick back and I too have a dinged track.

Dirty

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

I recently saw that Makita has a promo going on for the cordless track saw. I found that only some retailers offer the promo. did anyone jump on it?

Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

Attachments:
    DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Makita has been pimpping the heck out of this saw. I’ve seen it with 4- 5.0ah batteries and a track and a extra 18 volt tool.

Dirty

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Makita has been pimpping the heck out of this saw. I’ve seen it with 4- 5.0ah batteries and a track and a extra 18 volt tool.

That’s pretty cool.
    There are even more promos going on from Makita…a way to bring new tools on the market

Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

CB
    Pro

I have to find a chat which a had with a friend from Australia, and he got pretty different results swapping Makita batteries for 6.0Ah, using x2 36V Makita tools, like that Eric’s saw.
    I know Makita use all same cells for all18v packs, but not odd enough, this mate got interesting results, I’ll check here and let you know.

@bbernardesjr87
    Did you ever find the chat commentary from your friend who compared the 6.0ah batteries with the 5.0ah batteries?

You enigmatically describe your friends comparison as producing “pretty different results” and “interesting results”… without indicating one way or another what was so different or so interesting about the results. Naturally this creates even more curiosity.

Even if you can’t find the chat, can you at least offer a general characterization of that the results were? How did the 6.0ah batteries perform compared to the 5.0ah batteries, to the extent that you recall? What was your take away from that conversation?

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can't Be The Pro... Be the Poster you'd want to read.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Even if you can’t find the chat, can you at least offer a general characterization of that the results were? How did the 6.0ah batteries perform compared to the 5.0ah batteries, to the extent that you recall? What was your take away from that conversation?

I do find with out any scientific procedures that the 6.0Ah batteries do last longer. I use the 6.0Ah in my RearHandle saw and in my 6½” circ saw.

Dirty

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.538 seconds