dcsimg

BTP Review: Keen Abitibi 8" Insulated Work Boots

Viewing 17 posts - 21 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

What makes a tread be more apt to lodge rocks than another? Is it the tread grooving design or shape? Or is it simple that the rubber compound is softer and allows them to get stuck easier than other harder compounds which may be more typical?

I think it’s a combination of the overall depth and softness of the rubber sole.

Doobie

What makes a tread be more apt to lodge rocks than another? Is it the tread grooving design or shape? Or is it simple that the rubber compound is softer and allows them to get stuck easier than other harder compounds which may be more typical?

I think it’s a combination of the overall depth and softness of the rubber sole.

Are the tread crevices significantly deeper than the aforementioned red wings? That could be another aspect indeed that’s contributing to it.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Are the tread crevices significantly deeper than the aforementioned red wings? That could be another aspect indeed that’s contributing to it.

They are definitely noticeably depper.

Doobie

They are definitely noticeably depper.

So to release them from being trapped, do you pick them out, or try bending the sole to release?

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

So to release them from being trapped, do you pick them out, or try bending the sole to release?

You kind of have to pick them out, even with a lot of bending they still seem to stay stuck.

Doobie

You kind of have to pick them out, even with a lot of bending they still seem to stay stuck.

I have a pair of Dakotas that are like that. Another pair of Dakatos I have, I don’t have that issue. I should compare them closely and see why that may be.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

i had to give up on dakota boots.. after i had 3 straight different styles being defective, anything from the sole splitting, to the stitching letting go on the sides and at the heel after only a few weeks of wear.. ive only worn keens since

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

i had to give up on dakota boots.. after i had 3 straight different styles being defective, anything from the sole splitting, to the stitching letting go on the sides and at the heel after only a few weeks of wear.. ive only worn keens since

I’ve had bad luck with the Dakota boots too. Some of the guys I work with love them, but they also have to buy a new pair every 6 months.

Doobie

I just bought my first pair of Dakato boots last year. SO far so good, but I really don’t wear those ones that often. With all these bad experiences with them being mentioned, I don’t think I’ll be buying any more of them regardless of how they perform for me. I bought them because they were at a good price and they were nice and lite for a full height boot and waterproof.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Just wanted to say that the Keens are still holding up great. Now that it’s getting a bit warmer out I’ve been thinking about getting another non insulated pair for the summer.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Just wanted to say that the Keens are still holding up great. Now that it’s getting a bit warmer out I’ve been thinking about getting another non insulated pair for the summer.

how well does it hold up to scuffing, i find that i take huge chunks out of my leather boots and i don’t even know how lol.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

how well does it hold up to scuffing, i find that i take huge chunks out of my leather boots and i don’t even know how lol.

Mine also have a few chunks taken out of the leather, I don’t think it will really cause any problems though. I have a bad habit of resting things on my boot when I’m kneeling down to cut something.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

That is good Kyle. I am sure your winter gave them a good workout.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

We got some heavy rain in the past couple of days so the jobsite is a disaster right now. Rig mats are sinking into the ground, mud everywhere. Luckily I had my Keen boots on, I was soaked head to toe but my feet stayed dry all day.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

We got some heavy rain in the past couple of days so the jobsite is a disaster right now. Rig mats are sinking into the ground, mud everywhere. Luckily I had my Keen boots on, I was soaked head to toe but my feet stayed dry all day.

that is pretty impressive, I used to wear leather boots for outdoor work and if it rained enough i’d get soaked right through.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

@kswiss
    Would that not be soaked head to ankle/shin? 😉 LOL

Nice to know that the boots stand up to the wet elements.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Nice to know they really kept your feet dry. Mud is the worst environment to work in.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 17 posts - 21 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.436 seconds