dcsimg

BTP Review: Keen Abitibi 8" Insulated Work Boots

This topic contains 36 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Bill theamcguy 7 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Kyle
    kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

I was in serious need of a new pair of boots because my old ones were getting pretty thrashed. For a few years now I have been wearing Red Wing boots and had no complaints. I had read a few reviews on the Keen boots and decided that since they came so highly recommend I would have to pick some up. I used some of my points through BeThePro.com to order the boots through the Keen Canadian website. The pair that I ended up choosing was the Abitibi 8″ Insulated boots. I work outside a lot during the winter so I wanted some extra warmth in the boots, also I like the fact that they are water proof.

I was excited to get the boots in hand to check them out, so I was thankful for the speedy shipping from the good people at Keen. As soon as I pulled them out of the box, I could see the high quality construction right away. Triple stitching all around, nice moulded toe caps, heavy duty hooks for the laces, and even added protection on the heels. They also have nice rubber soles with very good grip to keep you from slipping on icy or oily surfaces. They are probably a bit heavier than most would be used to because of the added insulation, but not so heavy that they are uncomfortable. I’m not a huge fan of the yellow lining on the inside of the boots, but I guess you never really see that when you are wearing them.

I’ve been wearing the Keen boots every day at work now for the past few weeks, and I have to say that I am very impressed with them. Right out of the box they are a little bit stiff, so they’ll definitely take a few days to break in. I would recommend treating them with some oil or wax to keep the leather nice and soft. Compared to the Red Wing boots that I was wearing before, the Abitibi boots are probably twice as comfortable. The inside of the boots have lots of padding, with kind of a quilted lining around your foot. The added insulation keeps my feet very warm, even when I’m walking around on frozen concrete all day.

We’ve kind of had some weird weather here lately, so I’ve had a chance to try the Keen’s out in various different conditions. When it comes to snow and rain these boots are at their best. The soles grip very well so you won’t have to worry about sliding around on the ice. Where I found that these boots had some issues was with walking through muddy and rocky areas. The treads on the soles are a lot deeper than what I’m used to. I find that these boots get caked up with mud very quickly and it is hard to clear off. I have also found that small rocks always get stuck in the treads, which is kind of annoying. If you can keep these boots out of the mud then you’ll probably be pretty happy with them.

Overall the Abitibi boots are definitely a pair that I would recommend, just not for everyone. They are obviously better for a colder work environment. They have been great for me so far but I will probably get a non-insulated pair for the summer. Thanks for taking the time to read my review, feel free to ask any questions.

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

Profile photo of Frank
    58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Kyle,
    ThanX for the review on the Abitibi Boots.
    How are they weight wise compared to the Red Wing boots?

You should have collaborated with Dan, he just did a video of this boot.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Profile photo of Kyle
    kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Kyle,

These are definitely heavier than the Red Wing boots. I saw Dan’s video, it was awesome, If he wants to collaborate on a review in the future I would be all for it.

Profile photo of John. L
    cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

Great job on your review ! They look like very nice boots .One thing that is most important for me is the weight of the boot especially if you are on your feet a lot .

Profile photo of Jon
    jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Keen Warm…that’s a feature that I haven’t experienced first hand…might need to look into that for winter time!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction

https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/

Profile photo of Ken
    KenW
    Pro

Insulated boots were the thing to have when I lived up north and several times I have wished to have some even living in the Mid-South as I do. It would have been nice to see a comparison shot of the clean sole and mud filled one.

Profile photo of Kyle
    kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

It would have been nice to see a comparison shot of the clean sole and mud filled one.

I’ll clean them up and get some better pics of the soles for you.

You guys are a bad influence on my budget…lol. Yes, I am going to blame you guys for any purchases I make only because a poor excuse is better than no excuse at all.

Great jobs on all the boot reviews/information I have seen in the last week. Thanks for the input.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

Profile photo of Brian
    Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

@kswiss great review of the Keens,since you and Dan have put out great reviews, I’m leaning towards getting a pair also. nice pictures also, I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on the summer boots when you get them, I don’t typically wear boots because I find they are very warm in the shop.

Profile photo of Adam
    asevereid
    Pro
    Kamloops, BC

Great boots, comfy…been wearing mine for quite some time now.
    https://goo.gl/photos/CK32fYYFr74Rx1t18

Lurking Hit and Run poster.

Profile photo of Kyle
    kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Here are some better pics of the soles after I cleaned them up.

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

Profile photo of Frank
    58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Kyle,

These are definitely heavier than the Red Wing boots. I saw Dan’s video, it was awesome, If he wants to collaborate on a review in the future I would be all for it.

Great job on your review ! They look like very nice boots .One thing that is most important for me is the weight of the boot especially if you are on your feet a lot .

I’m the same, the boot or half boot needs to be somewhat light, especially those days that they are worn all day long.
    I have a couple of safety shoes and one pair is as heavy as a pair of boots.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

The only problems I have with the one of the pairs I have is that there little on the heavy side . And with the steel toe they don’t flex as much and hurt my feet if I’m doing work on floors .

Thanks for you feed back @kswiss .

Always willing to learn .

Profile photo of Ken
    KenW
    Pro

It would have been nice to see a comparison shot of the clean sole and mud filled one.

I’ll clean them up and get some better pics of the soles for you.

Thanks! The pics are good.

Profile photo of Dan
    woodman_412

Great review Kyle! I’ve noticed that the soles will pick up rocks too where as my Oshawa mid boots won’t. I don’t really hold that as a mark against the Abitibi though since the grip is so good. I guess it’s a bit of a trade off.

Dan

danpattison.com

Profile photo of Austin
    Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Good review. I have always had redwings but my next pair I will probably try some of these keen boots out

Profile photo of Kevin
    Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Great review Kyle. Sounds genuine. I put a lot of value in a review when I detect that. Good job!

Kevin.

Profile photo of Ron
    RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Nice review kswiss. I have found the Keen boots to be very comfortable.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Profile photo of Kyle
    kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Thanks for the feedback guys

Profile photo of Kevin
    Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

What makes a tread be more apt to lodge rocks than another? Is it the tread grooving design or shape? Or is it simple that the rubber compound is softer and allows them to get stuck easier than other harder compounds which may be more typical?

Kevin.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 37 total)

You must login or register for the Pro Forum to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.199 seconds