dcsimg

BTP Review: Bosch Impact Tough Drilling and Driving Bits

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

First of all I have to thank the staff at Be The Pro and Bosch for the chance to try out the new Bosch Impact Tough bits, they run a great community. Unfortunately the bits did not come with any packaging. I think the packaging us one of the main selling features for a packaged bunched of bits so I was a little disappointed, but really it’s all about the bits and how they perform. One of the things that I noticed right away was that the bits have a very slim profile. These are probably one of the slimmest bits that I’ve used, but they are still very strong.

I’ve been using the new Bosch Impact Tough bits both on and off the jobsite almost daily now, and so far I have to say that I am definitely impressed with how they perform. I have been using the Robertson bits the most, so far they are holding up very well. I’ve used one of the bits to drive hundreds of screws now and it still performs like brand new. The only real complaint I had was the Bosch Impact Tough bits didn’t seem to hold on to screws as well as some of the competitors bits. The Phillips bits are very good as well, they tend to grip the screws a lot better than the Robertson bits did. There was no sign of the tips of the bits warping or cracking at all. They seem to be very solid despite the smaller design. Unfortunately I was not able to use the Phillips/Robertson bits all that much because it is kind of a rare screw to see on the jobsite. I did try to use them on regular Phillips and Robertson screws but the results were not that great. I think it would have been nice to see these bits replaced with a torx bit instead. The Bosch Impact Tough drilling bits that were included worked great. I lined up a piece of angle iron and was able to quickly drill multiple holes with the same bit. It got a little bit hot towards the end but still performed very well.

Here is a link to the video.

and some pictures:

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

I know the bits have been released since I did this review and there may have been changes to the selection. However, I don’t think they are available in Canada yet so I still haven’t seen the final product in person. Hopefully some of the other members that reviewed these bits can also post their thoughts and reviews as well.

Thanks for taking the time to do a review for us . Getting real world experience puts things to its limits and get results no matter what good or bad . How could they improve bit holing power with Robertson tips .

Always willing to learn .

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Here is my review which I wrote on May 2nd, 2016

“Tough Tough Tough” describes Bosch Bits in every word.

In the beginning of April, I received Bosch’s New Impact Tough Driving Bits and their new 1/8″ Impact Titanium Drilling Bits for testing purposes from BeThePro.com.

The driving bits are approximately 2″ long and have an ideal length to use with Impact Driver without a bit holder or extension.

I used those bits in the last weeks on projects like building raised garden beds, a hybrid garden set up, a utility/ storage shed and installing sheet rock. No project is too small or too big for this new product.
    The bits handled screws from 1-1/2″ up to 3-1/2″ extremely well. And I’m pretty they don’t mind longer screws either.
    I countered the bits with my Bosch IDH182 + 4Ah Battery (BAT620). Everyone knows that this Impact Driver has some serious torque (1,650 in. lbs.) and speed – no problem at all for those bits.

The bits feel very lightweigth but they are made out of some tough and strong material.
    Which leads us to the point durability – occasionally I strip a screw head but that does not hurt the bit too much. It will reduce the life span but not significantly.

Philips Bit Comparison:

top bit is brand new

bottom bit after
    140x 1-5/8″ drywall screws and stripping about 4 screws.

For deck builder and/ or contractor it would be definitely interesting to see some Tough Impact “Torx Bits”. For installing windows or handrails and even for framing applications – those screws are becoming normal. Less slipping or cam out which increases the life of the bit.

The Impact Titanium Drilling Bit is about 2-3/4″ long and performs as expected.
    The drill bit does not skate away or slip.
    It goes thru steel like a hot knife thru butter.

Final Thoughts on the Tough Impact Driving and Drilling Bits

I used the Philips Bit for installing sheet rock and the Robertson Bit to drive 3-1/2″ wood screws and I am very impressed with the durability of those new bits. Every type of bit holds the screws snug at the tip without falling off.
    A magnetic bild holder is not necessary.

It would be preferable to have a longer bit or perhaps a Tough Impact Extension for difficult to reach areas.

Enough said – those videos tell more than 1000 words – enjoy

PH2 Product Test

R2 Product Test

P2R2 Product Test

Titanium Drill Bit Product Test

Thanks for your time reading the review

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

Masterbosch
    Pro
    Wayne, NJ

They look really nice and slim I wishould they make more variety of them. Holding case is really plus for me also I like finding the bits when I look for them.

plusoneconstructionllc@gmail.com

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Thanks for posting your review too madman_us, great review.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Wow, thanks for the reviews of the Bosch bits! Tons of information here. I’m going to need to come back to check out all the video in depth, once again great job!

Interesting about the slimmer design. Would you say they were the same size as the Milwaukee Shockwave bits?

What’s the Robbie?Philips bit? I’ve never tried one of those…

You guys sold me on getting a Bosch set! Hope they are available here in Canada soon.

A Working Pro since 2004

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

ThanX for the reviews @kswiss and @madman_us.
    Just have to wonder when they will hit the Canadian market. I will defiantly give these a go when I see them in the stores.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I have a couple sets of the driving bits, and like them a lot. I will have to look for the drilling bits and give them a shot. In the past most 1/4″ hex drilling bits I have had are marginal at best. It soulds like this may be a good improvement.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

madman very nice informative review. The videos were also a nice touch. Thank you for posting.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Yah im sold after watching the metal drilling video. That would be right up my alley.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@kswiss and @madman_us any idea how the bits compare to other brands? I have been using DeWalts Impact bits for a few years now (I can buy them in 15 packs very conveniently at Lowes) and I feel like they last longer the the Milwaukee shockwave bits I used before that, but I’ve never tested them to the breaking point. I know they eventually fail, but it’s usually after hundreds and hundreds of 3″ screws. Have either of you tried (or would you want to) a comparison? Thanks for the reviews!

Charlie

Instagram

@kswiss and @madman_us any idea how the bits compare to other brands? I have been using DeWalts Impact bits for a few years now (I can buy them in 15 packs very conveniently at Lowes) and I feel like they last longer the the Milwaukee shockwave bits I used before that, but I’ve never tested them to the breaking point. I know they eventually fail, but it’s usually after hundreds and hundreds of 3″ screws. Have either of you tried (or would you want to) a comparison? Thanks for the reviews!

I still haven’t used the Bosch bits as extensively as I’ve used the black Dewalt bits (The FlexTorqs) or the Milwaukee Gen 2 Shockwaves, but I have heard that the original Milwaukee Shockwaves are fairly soft and wear out quickly. From my personal perspective, the Dewalt bits (In torx flavor) don’t last as long as the Milwaukee Gen 2s, but the Milwaukees I’ve gotten a few T20 bits with crooked tips. The Bosch bits so far have the best fit for the Phillips #2, short of the non impact ribbed Bosch bits.

@kswiss and @madman_us, first thanks for taking the time to do very good detailed reviews, and videos,
    Since I found out that a couple of members received the bits, and gave positive feedback, I have been waiting to see them hit the shelves, I do have three of the impact bits sets from Bosch already, but I do prefer the look of these, they seem to stand out more, probably less fumbling around looking for them.

Thanks again guys great job on the reviews.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

They look like nice bit, I can’t wait to try them out next time I have a few boxxes of screws to drive.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I still haven’t used the Bosch bits as extensively as I’ve used the black Dewalt bits (The FlexTorqs) or the Milwaukee Gen 2 Shockwaves, but I have heard that the original Milwaukee Shockwaves are fairly soft and wear out quickly. From my personal perspective, the Dewalt bits (In torx flavor) don’t last as long as the Milwaukee Gen 2s, but the Milwaukees I’ve gotten a few T20 bits with crooked tips. The Bosch bits so far have the best fit for the Phillips #2, short of the non impact ribbed Bosch bits.

That’s another thought I had – I’ve been using the standard Bosch 6″ Phillips bit for sinking 3″ screws and it’s held up better than the DeWalt impact of the same size. But now my Lowes stopped carrying the regular 6″ and instead has the twin head, Bosch impact that looks like a combination of Phillips, and square or maybe it’s a Robertson (is that what it’s called?) and it seems like the grip it has is much less fitted than just the standard 6″.

Charlie

Instagram

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Thanks guys, I guess the bits are very similar to the Milwaukee bits. Right around the same size. The drilling bits were probably my favorite, very little wobble.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Thanks guys, I guess the bits are very similar to the Milwaukee bits. Right around the same size. The drilling bits were probably my favorite, very little wobble.

I agree on that – the milwaukee bits and bosch impact bits look very similar to each other. (but I have didn’t compare them)
    the drill bits don’t heat up as much as regular bits due to the coating. so you can use it for multiple materials.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

Love all the different videos @madman_us. Thanks for taking your time to share with us your thoughts .

Always willing to learn .

That’s another thought I had – I’ve been using the standard Bosch 6″ Phillips bit for sinking 3″ screws and it’s held up better than the DeWalt impact of the same size. But now my Lowes stopped carrying the regular 6″ and instead has the twin head, Bosch impact that looks like a combination of Phillips, and square or maybe it’s a Robertson (is that what it’s called?) and it seems like the grip it has is much less fitted than just the standard 6″.

I might just go out and get the double ended Bosch Torx bits so I can see how well they perform versus the current Dewalt and Milwaukee bits I’m using. I don’t have the long Dewalt FlexTorqs but I have the longer Milwaukee Gen 2 Shockwaves. The Bosch set has the T25s but I end up using T15 and T20 without a holder more.

I think what you were looking at was the P2R2 bits. The reduced tip diameter has a really good fit. The only bits I find that have that kind of fit and bite with a Phllips head are the reduced diameter ribbed Bosch bits I have and some Weras that also have reduced diameter tips. That and the older style tictac box Bosch phillips #2 with the ribs.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.550 seconds