dcsimg

BTP Review : Bosch HDH183 18 volt E C Brushless Brute Tough Hammer Drill /Driver

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

Great review, thanks for taking the time to put it together. Love all the pictures aswell.

I’ve been thinking of this drill latley, it looks like a solid tool.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

@boschmanbrian, I am kinda dissapointed the hdh183 didn’t come with an lboxxx or even one of those black plastic molded pieces for the lboxx. The fact the light is off centred and the second light doesn’t turn on is slightly bothersome. I can work around that by using my fl12 or my 18v light to just wash out the area to see what I am drilling.

@boschmanbrian, I am kinda dissapointed the hdh183 didn’t come with an lboxxx or even one of those black plastic molded pieces for the lboxx. The fact the light is off centred and the second light doesn’t turn on is slightly bothersome. I can work around that by using my fl12 or my 18v light to just wash out the area to see what I am drilling.

Nothing seems to come in an L-Boxx anymore. Its both annoying and concerning. I hope Bosch isnt moving away from the Sortimo boxes

Haha really, what were you using prior to the drill? I was using the older Bosch ni-cad, with out lights, So aside from those really annoying details, What do you think of the drill? For drilling and driving? The light is not the main character and concern for me, it’s the performance and durability I look for in a tool.
    Yes to bad it doesn’t come in an l box, but not everyone uses them, I guess that’s one reason, it doesn’t really fit in any of the plastic trays I have, might need another one for this drill, just because of the new switch configuration on top.

Wait till you start using it with big hole saws, or spade bits, I think you will appreciate the kick back control,

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

Thanks for the review. I’m pretty sure I’ll be going for a hammer drill/driver sometime soon.

Really liking this kit as it comes with the 4.0ah.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

The tool I am looking at is the RHS181. Wonder how the 2 compare? I have the HDS181, but the RHS181 looks way more compact.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

I am kinda dissapointed the hdh183 didn’t come with an lboxxx

Bosch stays away from the Lboxx+tool kits(and inserts) because they have researched/recognized that most costumers use canvas bags or other storage option.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Bosch stays away from the Lboxx+tool kits(and inserts) because they have researched/recognized that most costumers use canvas bags or other storage option.

That’s a shame because I think the L-Boxx w/insert option is what sets Bosch apart from other tool manufacturers. I prefer the L-Boxx w/insert over the tool bag any day.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

well after using this drill for a bit, i can safely say that this drill lives up to the boschs name
    psi 6000 concrete, i had it set on low speed as the high speed spat concrete everywhere and was harder to control without the side handle and filming at the same time.

@r-ice nice video, it’s a very impressive drill, I have tried the HDH181 to do the same, it’s also great.
    Your right Bosch make some great solid tools,
    How much did you have to mix up.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

This is a primary review of the new 1/2 E C brushless heavy duty hammer drill / driver with the anti kick back control, I recieved from Be The Pro,

It’s the model number HDH183, this one is a kit, comes in a soft carry case, two 4.0Ah battery packs and the new fast charger (BC 1880 ) and the side handle, plus a bit for screwing.

First impression is that it is definitely a solid feeling drill,made from the famous Bosch durashield plastics, and a nice metal front casing, the weight is nice, the balance also is very nice with the 4.0 ah battery packs.

I will compare it to its predecesor the HDH181
    I also have that model, and think it’s definitely a great drill / driver
    One thing I like better , is the selector switch on top, it has a solid clicking feel, and when you have it set on the drill selector , you do not have to dial up the torque setting , great up date

Between the two drills, I have no problem with the grip, but the newer version has a slightly smaller grip near the smaller finger at the base,
    Kinda reminds me of the IDH182 a little.

Okay, first the charger is excellent, it has the fan inside like the previous model (BC 630 ), I was continuously checking the battery pack as it was charging, never once noticed heat on the battery pack, from one bar on the battery pack to complete charge, it’s around 30 to 45 minutes.

Okay, I first started out just putting in screws,
    Piece of cake with the drill,
    I was doing some 2 inch drywall screws, and 3 inch deck and flooring screws
    Once again, not a problem,
    One thing I like was the chuck setting for the clutch, unlike the previous models, as soon as the screw reached the torque setting, you heard a snap and then the drill just stopped. No more skipping the clutch sound.

I used it with the Bosch daredevil spade bits, it just sinks right into the wood with out any struggle right through 3 pieces of 2×6.

I also used it with the hole saws, this is what I wanted to see what the kick back would do. ,
    Pretty cool features, I have it on the previous version HDH181, and once again, very impressive features, I tried it in the both speeds, I tell you, the first gear has some very serious torque, good thing it has the anti kick back,

I drilled a few 3/16 holes into the cement foundation of my garage floor for some Tapcons, piece of cake,

I have not really used the side handle yet,

I think anyone looking for a solid drill / driver for durability, this just might be your drill,

If anyone is already in the Bosch battery platform, this drill is a must,

Also took it into the shop, most of the guys who have tried it out, first comment was nice grip and very well balanced,

It was very useful for drilling through 3/16 aluminum with ease,

Very nice job on the review. After reading this review it made me want to get this drill. It sounds like has some great features. I really like the clutch setting feature. I will have put this on the list tools get.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

I saw a comparison with every other drill on the market they used a big auger bit. The bosch was the only one that didn’t cut through a 16d nail in a pt 6×6

I saw a comparison with every other drill on the market they used a big auger bit. The bosch was the only one that didn’t cut through a 16d nail in a pt 6×6

Oh wow, really, was that the new HDH183 ? Do you have that link, would like to see that comparison.

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

That’s a shame because I think the L-Boxx w/insert option is what sets Bosch apart from other tool manufacturers. I prefer the L-Boxx w/insert over the tool bag any day.

Me too, I’m really liking the lboxx system and it’s a shame that they would be.mo on away from it. Can always do foam inserts but I just feel in my case they wouod nt last too long with the weather conditions I work in.

Oh wow, really, was that the new HDH183 ? Do you have that link, would like to see that comparison.

I’d love to see that aswell.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Last drill of the challenge. The @hiltinorthamerica SF10W-A22 goes through 4 16d common nails with ease! This drill is very impressive! I felt the least amount of feedback as it went through the nails with this one. It is the most comfortable drill I have ever used on really hard tasks. It just got better with more power and ATC kick back protection. On the most severe tasks this is my favorite. If I am running holesaw's over 4 inches this is the drill I want. If I was drilling holes in nail embedded boards all day this would be the drill I would pick after the big right angle drills. The 4 speed transmission is very versatile. The Rohm keyless chuck is pretty darn stout. For a lot of tasks it is overkill. That's why I am glad to be able to have choices like the all new SF 6H-A22 The @southwiretools bit is still ok although it's not as sharp as it was for the start of the test. #shipauger bits aren't too hard to sharpen after some impacts with nails and screws on the job. #bit #drillbit #cordlessdrill #hilti #hiltigang #electrical #electrician

A post shared by Tools Carpentry Construction (@toolpig) on

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Thanks for the review and all the pictures along with it!! Another great Drill by Bosch!

A Working Pro since 2004

Wow, I’m kinda surprised, but it seems to me that they just didn’t give it a try like the dewalt, it stopped but they kept trying, but with the Bosch instead as soon as it hits the nail they just didn’t let it go again, do the other drills have the anti kick back, what size battery packs where they all using.

Wow, I’m kinda surprised, but it seems to me that they just didn’t give it a try like the dewalt, it stopped but they kept trying, but with the Bosch instead as soon as it hits the nail they just didn’t let it go again, do the other drills have the anti kick back, what size battery packs where they all using.

As far as Im concerned, the killer feature is the anti-kickback. I have it in my HDH181X and while it isnt the most powerful drill out there, it is still a real beast, and with the anti-kickback, I can go balls to the wall without worrying about torquing my wrists by hitting something or just jamming it

As far as Im concerned, the killer feature is the anti-kickback. I have it in my HDH181X and while it isnt the most powerful drill out there, it is still a real beast, and with the anti-kickback, I can go balls to the wall without worrying about torquing my wrists by hitting something or just jamming it

Oh no don’t get me wrong, I have both of the HDH181 and the newer HDH183 both with the feature, I also like it, can’t tell you how many times I smacked my knuckles before with my older Bosch drills.

I mean maybe that’s the reasons why it stops, they don’t seem to give it a second chance, that’s what I found weird.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

for both models it’s quite important to have the anti kick back feature.
    it can snap your wrist in a heart beat lol.
    The HDH183 is definitely a great unit – with the Core battery it gets a nice jump in power. I was able to use it at the world of concrete.
    almost a must – those two items in combination.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.313 seconds