dcsimg

BTP REVIEW – 3M 7500 Series Half-Mask Respirator

This topic contains 21 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of r-ice r-ice 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Éric
    Montreal_Medic
    Pro
    Montreal, Quebec

A couple of years ago, I needed a respirator with cartridge filtration to handle finishing my floors with a high VOC product – Waterlox original – without getting stoned.

I picked up a 3M half mask respirator kit that had a vapour filtration (basically just activated charcoal) cartridge and an N95 particle filter. I think it was the 6000 series, sold in the paint section at Home Depot.

It was cheap, it got the job done, and I hated every second of wearing it. It never fit quite right, the balance was off, whenever I exhaled, it fogged my goggles up, and I got sick of tasting my own breath real fast.

So, I pretty much abandoned wearing a respirator unless I REALLY felt I had no alternative. On the bright side, this got me to think about dust collection at the source, but it still wasnt quite right

So, barring buying a huge dust collector that misses nothing, and doing all finishing with Zero VOC products, I would either have to tolerate the respirator, or do better.

After reading far too many online reviews – that train ride in to work takes a long while, so I had time to kill – I decided to try out the 3M 7500 series. It wasnt particularly expensive ($35 or so) and was advertised as being a more comfortable fit

After using it for a few projects – I dont hate it.

The 7500 series ( I wear the large, which is 7503 – medium is 7502) is much more comfortable with the silicone trim rather than the demon-rubber the old one was made of. As a result, I sweat less in it, so it doesnt stink quite so much. There is a lot less of a “swampy” feeling

When Im wearing safety goggles at the same time, they dont fog up, because the mask exhausts downwards instead of forwards. At least 5 times a project, I will forget and try to blow some dust off the workpiece and feel like a real winner.

The straps hold it from the crown of the head, but dont interfere with ear muffs, and are easy to flip down to take off the mask

Unlike the 6000 it replaced, the 7500 does not smell like a rotting skunk after a few days of work. I never managed to get the 6000 to smell (and frankly taste) less than my hockey bag. The 7500 must have some anti-bacterial thing going on, because it still has no smell, so long as I let it air dry before putting it away.

Like the 6000 mask, the 7500 uses cartridges numbered 6XXX and particle filters numbered 2XXXX.

For the rare occasion that I handle VOCs (and in enough concentration that I will go a bit wonky) I use the cartridge from the old 6000. Its still good – still works

For the rest of the time, and to spare the weight of wearing the cartridges, not to mention the cost savings of replacing the cartridges, I use 3m 2097 or 2297 filters (the 2297 is supposed to be easier to breathe through than the 2097 but I see no difference – just get the one they have in stock)

The 2097 is a P100 filter which means it gets almost 100% of the particles in the air. The P part of it means Petroleum (N95 means no petroleum, 95%). This means that grease in the air will not gunk up or degrade the filter. The 2097 and 2297 also have some small vapour filtration that they call nuisance level. Its not really enough to protect you where a cartridge is needed, but if the guy next to you lets one rip, you won’t smell it. Handy.

I wont go into whether I think a bit of dust will kill you or not, but I will wear a mask if Im making a lot of dust without possibility of capture, or if Im cutting up some old unknown crap in a demolition. I also really, really, hate MDF dust, so I wear the mask then

With the 6000 series, it did the job and well. But I avoided wearing it whenever possible. With the 7500 I dont hate it, so I use it. At under $50 with some good filters, its not a bad price to pay

Oh – and I think that those paper N95 masks are garbage. I thought that as a paramedic, and I think that now. Better than nothing, but not even worth comparing to a real respirator.

Profile photo of Kyle
    kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Thanks for the review, definitely lots of good information here.

Profile photo of Charlie
    cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I completely agree about paper masks – there’s no give to them so they have to real hope of a good seal around your face, so really, what are they doing except maybe shielding you from a direct hit of some small particles?

I really like what you had to say about the 3M mask – I hate how my respirator constantly fogs up any eye protection I try to wear. I’ve started just using the RZ masks I have for exactly that reason (and they’re a heck of a lot easier to take on and off).

Thanks for your review and great insight.

Charlie

Instagram

Profile photo of Éric
    Montreal_Medic
    Pro
    Montreal, Quebec

Thanks guys

Another thing to mention is that I have since bought a second one of those 6000 series kits because they were cheaper than just the organic vapour cartridge filters that are part of the kit.

So keep in mind that the 6000 series is in some ways just like a Gillette razor handle. They give them away for free and sell the consumables. Sometimes its better just to get another kit, especially when they go on sale. I got a size medium, so that means my wife now has one if she ever needs it.

Next deal, I will get a small for my son, since all I want are the cartridges

Also, the 2097 P100 particle filters are a bright almost neon pink. While that colour isnt my first choice, it does have the huge advantage of showing dust. You can tell its getting too dirty by looking at it, without it getting disgusting looking like white

Profile photo of Jon
    jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Thanks for the review Eric!

Another very important point about respirators like this one is to ALWAYS store them in a sealed plastic bag when not in use. This will greatly prolong the life of the cartridge as air will continue to move through the filter (and slowly clog it up) whether or not you actually wearing the thing.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction

Profile photo of Éric
    Montreal_Medic
    Pro
    Montreal, Quebec

Thanks for the review Eric!

Another very important point about respirators like this one is to ALWAYS store them in a sealed plastic bag when not in use. This will greatly prolong the life of the cartridge as air will continue to move through the filter (and slowly clog it up) whether or not you actually wearing the thing.

Thanks – and if possible, dry it out before ziplocking it. Dont want the trapped moisture to wreck it

Thanks Eric for the detailed review. glad that I pulled the trigger myself for that mask a few days ago.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

Profile photo of Frank
    58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Another great review, Eric.
    ThanX for that.

I have an old half mask cartridge one that I should toss and get myself a new one.

I have found that the UVEX safety glasses/goggles are great for not fogging up.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Profile photo of Bill
    theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I decided to try out the 3M 7500 series. It wasnt particularly expensive ($35 or so) and was advertised as being a more comfortable fit

Thank you for the review, very informative.

Profile photo of r-ice
    r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

thanks for the review, I am actually in the market to pick up two of the 3m 6800 full face shields plus gas cartridges. I was debating between honeywell, north and a few other brands but your review has convinced me to go with 3m.

Profile photo of r-ice
    r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

@montreal_medic, I know you have the half face but have you used the full face one? not sure if you use glasses but my full face just arrived and I am finding I have to clinch it really tight so that air doesn’t escape where my glasses protrude, I don’t feel like buying the glass adapter to it as it is the same price as buying a whole new full face respirator. I may just end up getting a half face and buying a sealed safety glass instead.

Profile photo of Éric
    Montreal_Medic
    Pro
    Montreal, Quebec

@montreal_medic, I know you have the half face but have you used the full face one? not sure if you use glasses but my full face just arrived and I am finding I have to clinch it really tight so that air doesn’t escape where my glasses protrude, I don’t feel like buying the glass adapter to it as it is the same price as buying a whole new full face respirator. I may just end up getting a half face and buying a sealed safety glass instead.

No, Im not a fan of full face masks, and the safety benefits aren’t really as needed for what I do (at least in my opinion)

Also, although I do have contact lenses in at all times, I havent owned actual eyeglasses in at least 20 years

Profile photo of Christopher
    utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

No, Im not a fan of full face masks, and the safety benefits aren’t really as needed for what I do (at least in my opinion)

Also, although I do have contact lenses in at all times, I havent owned actual eyeglasses in at least 20 years

The full face is rather expensive and you have to use protective replaceable face sheets to keep original face from scratching up. I only really use this mask when I’m grinding out mortar joints or wire wheeling rebar.

A Working Pro since 2004

Looks like the 7500 is similar to the 6500QL that I have in terms of material, they’re both made out of silicone. I researched about the 7500 before but it seems like 3M didn’t offer it with the quick latch feature which makes donning it easier.

Profile photo of Sorin
    Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Thanks for the review!
    Where did you buy the 7500?

Profile photo of Éric
    Montreal_Medic
    Pro
    Montreal, Quebec

Thanks for the review!
    Where did you buy the 7500?

Been a while so not sure. KMS Tools online or Amazon, I think. Those two are where I get the filters

Profile photo of Brian
    Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Nice review , good info , we use them on a regular basis , and one thing for sure is the proper fit , and as Jon mentioned we to store in a zip lock , but most defiantly when the mask has been did sterilized and dried , but it is very true about the filters lasting longer in a zip lock bag. great job on the review.

@r-ice instead of a full face , try the half and use a full face shield for more protection against flying particles

Profile photo of Christopher
    utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Thanks for the review! In the market for a new quarter face and I’ll be going with 3M most likely.

A Working Pro since 2004

Profile photo of Éric
    Montreal_Medic
    Pro
    Montreal, Quebec

Thanks for the review! In the market for a new quarter face and I’ll be going with 3M most likely.

I really can’t describe how much I like this series compared to any masks Ive used in the past (N95 papers, the 6000 series, fire dept issue SCBA gear….)

Get the 7503 – you won’t regret it.

Just dont use the cartridge filters if you dont need to – weight for nothing.

Profile photo of r-ice
    r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

The full face is rather expensive and you have to use protective replaceable face sheets to keep original face from scratching up. I only really use this mask when I’m grinding out mortar joints or wire wheeling rebar.

I ended up picking up a half face and will find some safety sealed glasses for eyeprotection.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)

You must login or register for the Pro Forum to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.750 seconds