dcsimg

BTP Improvements

Viewing 20 posts - 701 through 720 (of 730 total)
  • Author
    r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

On another note that I’ve noticed just in the past few days, why are my smillies showing up in humongous size. My smillies in question are the ones that originate from being selected in my Samsung tablet’s available ones. Those never did that before. The few I do otherwise via using simple keyboard ones don’t do this effect when members quote my posts.

thats been happening for a while, not sure why when a paragraph is quoted with the smileys it turns into humongous smiley. I think we did mention it to jim but i doubt that one is a pressing fix .

bethepro
    Keymaster
    Mt Prospect, IL

Not a pressing fix, b=t have made the developer aware of the issue. Once again, on a shoestring we have to live with certain “known issues” until we can get enough in the kitty to cover it. Thanks for all your patience and workaround suggestions.

Jim

Email us at bethepro@bethepro.com

Honestly, with the amount of money invested from Bosch to us here, it really, really surprises me that they use such a poor forum software. I don’t even think this cost money. The paid ones aren’t that much, and function an enormous amount better. It’s a difficult software to view on any screen. I guess it keeps everyone at bay except the hard core tool junkies like us lol

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Honestly, with the amount of money invested from Bosch to us here, it really, really surprises me that they use such a poor forum software. I don’t even think this cost money. The paid ones aren’t that much, and function an enormous amount better. It’s a difficult software to view on any screen. I guess it keeps everyone at bay except the hard core tool junkies like us lol

I agree. I’d trash it too. It’s a big reason many don’t keep coming back.

If they updated to the other big sites software I hate that on @DirtyWhiteBoy .

Always willing to learn .

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I think what it is, is that this forum software is cheaper and runs exactly what we need the point system and what not. In other forum software any upgrades require money and someone to install it. Any added features would either have a one time cost or a recurring cost, so to keep it status quo would be the cheapest option.

bethepro
    Keymaster
    Mt Prospect, IL

Let me clear this up. The site is based on a modified WP theme. The points system and other functionality are all custom features. When the site was launched 7 years ago it was the latest tech that could handle the requirements. Since then technology and themes have been upgraded but BTP lacks funding (mostly due to tool redemption costs rising) that would allow us to do a full scale “remodelling” of the site. It’s not for lack of want, more of a lack of funds to expand further. We do what we can with what we have. If there are those that just cannot deal with the interface, well then we are sorry that they have difficulties but will not be making any sweeping changes to the site in the near future. We do try to address any issues that affect daily interaction and do spend to keep the site secure and running. Unfortunately all of the bells and whistles that members have suggested have not been implemented. We hope that those that enjoy the site can make allowances that this is a very unique site that no other manufacturer has the wherewithall to operate. DeWalt gave their forum away and most other manufacturers don’t even maintain a forum for open and honest discussion of their products. Festool is about the only one that blesses the two online forums about their tools. Ridgid also maintains a forum, but they don’t own it, Emerson does. Look at the whois record (http://whois.domaintools.com/ridgidforum.com).

The point is, we do the best that we can to maintain a useable site. Those who can get past it’s inherent difficulties enjoy it. Those who do not, tend not to stick around. We would hope that we provide enough value (remembering there is no cost to the end user) to stick around.

bbernardesjr87
    Pro
    Longueuil, Quebec

Hopefully one day, BTP might became an app…easy to use on smartphones with no need to open a browser.

I learn some new stuff using it everyday..but still complicated for me.

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

I think the site is great and have no problem with it. I feel that the people who have a problem with it is from point of reference. Yes they might not like something on this site because this other site does it that way.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

thanks jim @bethepro we love the site and can manage.

Even as someone with a technical background, I won’t hate on the site, it works; because I do understand how much customization costs, and I prefer Bosch providing more tools rather than some pretty web interface.

Will

As someone who is responsible for a few sites (including some on wordpress) this one is pretty damn stable. It is basic, but reasonably secure and very stable.

All in all, it shows that it is run by a dev/frontend team with some decent chops.

All sites can be improved, but most people dont understand that the really shiny ones cost 6-7 figures

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I still find it amazing that we can talk about tools and experience and not only benefit from that, but also rack up points to get free tools! Not having the latest, state of the art forum doesn’t hold a candle to that in my mind. And it seems like everything that needs to run – does!

Charlie

Instagram

I still find it amazing that we can talk about tools and experience and not only benefit from that, but also rack up points to get free tools! Not having the latest, state of the art forum doesn’t hold a candle to that in my mind. And it seems like everything that needs to run – does!

I agree

Besides, the huge smiley face “bug” is pretty nice. Cracks me up

🙂

Here’s is a question to al Mods out there . When you edit a post from a member do you send a pm notifying them of said change . Does it come up on bottom of the post with your mod profile name .

Always willing to learn .

Here’s is a question to al Mods out there . When you edit a post from a member do you send a pm notifying them of said change . Does it come up on bottom of the post with your mod profile name .

Well, I know @bethepro has made edits to at least one of my mini-reviews, but he let me know right away. I would assume they always would, lest it be them putting words in your mouth. And if they have to edit for content – say, if you said something that is getting moderated out – you would almost certainly be getting a PM so you dont do it again….

Think I also got one from @chadM once upon a time when I misspoke

Might be wrong though….

bethepro
    Keymaster
    Mt Prospect, IL

To clarify, when content articles are submitted either as a word doc and images or you post it to a new thread (i.e. a review, a how to, etc.) we will sometimes edit the copy so that it is more search engine friendly. In no way do we mess with the message of the content but we do mess with the wording to ensure that it gets noticed in searches. For example, when you search “Bosch Sander Review” on Google, the latest article by r-ice shows up on the 2nd page already of the results. Sometimes we will let the author know, other times we will just make the changes and repost it. When you submit something (copy, images, video) you are essentially giving us license to use it for whatever purpose we deem necessary. That is not to say that it isn’t credited to you, just that the owners of the site own the content (the same way that FB and all social channels own (technically) whatever you post to their platform. The goal is to get visibility for the content you submit so it has a life outside of just BTP.

To clarify, when content articles are submitted either as a word doc and images or you post it to a new thread (i.e. a review, a how to, etc.) we will sometimes edit the copy so that it is more search engine friendly. In no way do we mess with the message of the content but we do mess with the wording to ensure that it gets noticed in searches. For example, when you search “Bosch Sander Review” on Google, the latest article by r-ice shows up on the 2nd page already of the results. Sometimes we will let the author know, other times we will just make the changes and repost it. When you submit something (copy, images, video) you are essentially giving us license to use it for whatever purpose we deem necessary. That is not to say that it isn’t credited to you, just that the owners of the site own the content (the same way that FB and all social channels own (technically) whatever you post to their platform. The goal is to get visibility for the content you submit so it has a life outside of just BTP.

That makes perfect sense. We do the same with user generated content on our sites, where I work

Thanks for the clarification Jim

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

That makes perfect sense. We do the same with user generated content on our sites, where I work

Thanks for the clarification Jim

I am okay with it as seo isn’t my strong suit, so if jim does goes and edits a few words so that it gets picked up by more eyes, i am good with that.

I was visiting a hobby forum recently and they have a feature I really like. There’s a link at the top of every forum thread that says “View First Unread”. When you click on the link it takes you to the last post you looked at in the thread. I find this invaluable on the other forum and think it would be a great enhancement here.

Viewing 20 posts - 701 through 720 (of 730 total)
  • The topic ‘BTP Improvements’ is closed to new replies.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 1.085 seconds