dcsimg

BTP Improvements

Viewing 20 posts - 321 through 340 (of 730 total)
  • Author
    TimelessQuality
    Pro
    Central America, (Kansas)

I think it was me on the piano bench thread…

I apologize as I was uploading pics from my phone and it would only seem to do two at a time.

Feel free to dock my points as needed

--Steve

Thatkid
    Pro

I have had the same issue with posting pictures. More than 2 pictures in a post and it won’t load them.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

The biggest improvement I would like to see is auto subscribe to threads you post in and then a way to go right to those threads. When you open up a thread it takes you to the last spot you read. I miss a lot on here because I don’t always go back through everything.

I agree, but this kind of goes back (I know it isn’t exactly the same) to one of the requests some of us here have made, unread threads in general. The “Latest Pro Forum Topics” link is great. It shows the most recent conversations, but it would be nice if there was a way to just see the stuff that “I” haven’t read yet. This way if there is a new thread, it would be easier for me to find, read and participate in. I try to go back 24 hours on the Topics link, but that isn’t always possible, and I think I end up missing a lot.

hdpro
    Pro
    Upstate, NY

Ok, I gotta idea. I know that we all love to be helpful, provide valuable information, and participate on here. Of course we also like the points we get doing the aforementioned as well.

My suggestion for the site is to limit how posts are made and it could be done with a simple query. This may also solve double posts. For example, I’m posting this now, here in the BTP Improvements thread. Now make it so I can’t post again right behind a post I already had. Maybe this would force people to edit their posts and not post 5 or 6 times in a row. I think that conversations are great, and helpful, but see no reason to post several time behind yourself. I take the time to edit my posts, and think others should do the same. Just today, I replied and quoted a post, then after I did that I realized that there was another page. So, I took the extra time to edit the post I made to have everything in one post. Would it have been quicker to just throw up another new post and get more points? Sure would have, and the points would have been nice, but I didn’t.

The query could happen when someone hits the “Post” button and simply be:

Was post previous to post theirs less than 4 hours ago? Refuse post and make them edit theirs. Hope people are picking up what I’m throwing down.

I have no ill feelings to anyone here regardless of how new/old, computer savy/not, whatever race, color, religion, ect. It just drives me nuts when people post 35 times in a row. I’ll get off of my box now. Thanx.

@bethepro

Personally, I think you’re making this more of an issue than it really is…

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Me too it don’t bother me at all.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

hdpro
    Pro
    Upstate, NY

Sven,

I got your pm and responded but I’ve had problems with things not going through. If you don’t get it, it’s not because I ignored you! 🙂

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

I find I’m always over the max posts per day (for pts), and later in the day I’m posting and not getting pts. The lack of edits hasn’t bugged me too much, but as far as following conversations it is harder when there are a lot of tiny posts one after another from the same person. I’m not sure how to make a happy medium between the two. I think that people once they’ve been around for a while and get to know the system will do the edits. It might be good to have a better intro setup for new folks so they know what they can do – maybe an FAQ? I know there’s one out there that I see posted but I think it could be added to quite a bit. I’m sure if we wanted one we could start a thread on it and everyone would contribute – things like ‘how to edit’, ‘how to post pics’, ‘how to tag other people’, etc.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Ok, I take back what I said. Party on.

Sven,

I got your pm and responded but I’ve had problems with things not going through. If you don’t get it, it’s not because I ignored you! :-)

Nope, didn’t get it. We’re cool.

I’m sure if we wanted one we could start a thread on it and everyone would contribute – things like ‘how to edit’, ‘how to post pics’, ‘how to tag other people’, etc.

This already kinda exists though the topic sometimes got off topic: http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/btp-tricks-and-tips/

DirtyWhiteBoy wrote:
    hdpro wrote:

I know I am a moderator and all, but I resonate a lot with Sven’s initial complaint to be honest. I wish we could balance between being point hungry and contributing well sometimes

John S

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Sven,

I got your pm and responded but I’ve had problems with things not going through. If you don’t get it, it’s not because I ignored you! :-)

Nope, didn’t get it. We’re cool.

I still think smilies would be nice to enhance the postings.

Dirty

bethepro
    Keymaster
    Mt Prospect, IL

Thanks everyone for all your continued feedback. We haven’t made a ton of progress recently with developments because our developer has been busy working on other projects. Hopefully later this week more work will be done to fix what you’ve been mentioning.

I have a very large spreadsheet listing all the requirements you’ve ever made and the challenge is prioritizing them to make the most given our budget. We’d totally love to implement all your suggestions and create the best mobile app ever, however, we have a limited budget and are focusing on the improvements that are most requested and that we feel will benefit the site as a whole.

As for posting simply to get points, we have quite a few limitations to prevent abusing the system, and we’re adding new ones as we find need. We know that the points are a big driver and we will keep offering them, but we also want to make sure that we reward behaviors that contribute to the community and overall discussion (both construction related and off-topic threads).

We appreciate you spending your time on our site, even if it may not be the most user friendly site or quickly improved. We know you have a limited amount of free time and we are honored that you would spend it on BTP.

Aaron

Email us at bethepro@bethepro.com

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ok, I gotta idea. I know that we all love to be helpful, provide valuable information, and participate on here. Of course we also like the points we get doing the aforementioned as well.

My suggestion for the site is to limit how posts are made and it could be done with a simple query. This may also solve double posts. For example, I’m posting this now, here in the BTP Improvements thread. Now make it so I can’t post again right behind a post I already had. Maybe this would force people to edit their posts and not post 5 or 6 times in a row. I think that conversations are great, and helpful, but see no reason to post several time behind yourself. I take the time to edit my posts, and think others should do the same. Just today, I replied and quoted a post, then after I did that I realized that there was another page. So, I took the extra time to edit the post I made to have everything in one post. Would it have been quicker to just throw up another new post and get more points? Sure would have, and the points would have been nice, but I didn’t.

The query could happen when someone hits the “Post” button and simply be:

Was post previous to post theirs less than 4 hours ago? Refuse post and make them edit theirs. Hope people are picking up what I’m throwing down.

I have no ill feelings to anyone here regardless of how new/old, computer savy/not, whatever race, color, religion, ect. It just drives me nuts when people post 35 times in a row. I’ll get off of my box now. Thanx.

@bethepro

I agree with Sven, I’m not sure if the fix is the best way though. I think the ‘powers to be’ (ABOVE THE MODERATOR LEVEL) should take care of it with a personal one on one behind the scenes, AND with an explanation to the person stating exactly which posts are in violation and why. That way they’d be educated for future posting. I’ve seen some very blatant multi posts lately that does get irritating. And I’m not talking 2 or even 3 in a row, Sometimes that’s understandable. But I’ve seen 5-6 short comments back to back within a minute apart………I do two in a row sometimes cuz I still haven’t figured out how to ‘quote’ two or more posts that are on different pages, Plus sometimes I get a little windy (kinda like this post) and I think it makes for better reading and to keep it interesting if I split it up a bit. Are ya still awake? LOL 🙂 jmho

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I do two in a row sometimes cuz I still haven’t figured out how to ‘quote’ two or more posts that are on different pages

When you quote things from one page and respond, simply quote, then type your response, copy the text in the reply box. Then go to the next page, past what you have copied, and continue on.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Really? I thought I’ve tried that but not successfully. I’ll give it a go next time. Thanks

Quote, Make the reply, Copy the entire box, Go to next page, Quote, Paste and type…..Hmmm, Sounds like that should work

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

ok, im confused.

I know I am a moderator and all, but I resonate a lot with Sven’s initial complaint to be honest. I wish we could balance between being point hungry and contributing well sometimes

John, should sven’s concern resonate with you instead of you resonating? I think you have it backwards but nonetheless i think his concern is somewhat valid as well – but up to the “higher than mod people” to determine how to deal with it.

As Aaron mentioned people are spending their free time on BTP and it’s like hanging out in a coffee shop in that while you are there for one reason, you might also spend some money on their products. We spend our “money” here in the form of our intellectual property and knowledge which is shared and freely given to others who then benefit from it. BTP just provides the medium to do that. Which is why i feel off and on-construction topics should be permitted because its our free time as well. When your on the job site, you talk about everything under the sun while your working right?

Just spewing a bunch of thoughts out in no particular order or reason.

I think the ‘powers to be’ (ABOVE THE MODERATOR LEVEL) should take care of it with a personal one on one behind the scenes, AND with an explanation to the person stating exactly which posts are in violation and why.

For now moderators like myself have no functional powers to my knowledge (FYI if you didn’t know), unlike in the past. I do try to pass along things I see to Aaron, but I also know he has moderators in place to help be his eyes on the site where he wouldn’t be able to spend time.

John S

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

……

Dirty

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

John, should sven’s concern resonate with you instead of you resonating? I think you have it backwards but nonetheless i think his concern is somewhat valid as well – but up to the “higher than mod people” to determine how to deal with it.

As Aaron mentioned people are spending their free time on BTP and it’s like hanging out in a coffee shop in that while you are there for one reason, you might also spend some money on their products. We spend our “money” here in the form of our intellectual property and knowledge which is shared and freely given to others who then benefit from it. BTP just provides the medium to do that. Which is why i feel off and on-construction topics should be permitted because its our free time as well. When your on the job site, you talk about everything under the sun while your working right?

Just spewing a bunch of thoughts out in no particular order or reason.

I agree Nyx, The more work and rules there will be to drop a post the fewer poster you could have. Hey I put my work into the smilies I really not going to copy&paste from page to page because the software is sup-par.

Dirty

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

and we really appreciate your hard work finding all those amazingly unique smileys lol.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

and we really appreciate your hard work finding all those amazingly unique smileys lol.

They do take a lot of work too.

Dirty

Viewing 20 posts - 321 through 340 (of 730 total)
  • The topic ‘BTP Improvements’ is closed to new replies.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 1.224 seconds