dcsimg

Brushless version of the 12V OMT might be coming

This topic contains 36 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  jzmtl 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 37 total)
  • Author

http://toolguyd.com/bosch-fein-starlock-oscillating-multi-tool-interface-preview/

I saw this on Toolguyd and had some similiar thoughts as some of the commenters on it: “Why would the OIS interface need an upgrade” and did a quick search on the Starlock system. That led me to this page:

http://www.elektronarzędzia.info.pl/nowosci-produktowe/starlock-nowy-standard-montazu-osprzetu-firmy-bosch/

“Bosch GOP 12 V-EC SL”

If that’s what I think it is, that means we’re supposed to get a brushless version of the 12V OMT with comparability with that new interface. From that Polish page, the tools should be backwards compatible with the OIS interface but support that funny 3D interface they’re introducing.

And there should be a 500W OMT from Bosch that supports the “Starlock Max” interface. That seems like the biggest driving reason behind the interface.

I like my 18V OMT, its got the power and runtime but a 12V version with the brushless motor improvement would be something I’d like to have as well

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

That could be nice if it offers more run time for sure.

I would also be interested in one of these
    http://www.elektronarzędzia.info.pl/nowosci-produktowe/szlifierka-podwojna-gbg-6-professional/

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

The brushless version should be a nice improvement to the current 12v, not sure what to think about the new interface though. Don’t other manufacturers also use Bosch’s current OIS? Common standard is good, dunno why they are moving away from it.

yellaD
    Pro

oh man that’s hilarious, the Bosch grinder…
    I’d rather have the 18v power vs 12v runtime, I couldn’t imagine running my OMT for extended lengths…I dunno, anyone disagree?

@jzmtl

Check out the interface graphics on that. I think what they’re trying to do is to make it so all the “Starlock” interfaces are compatible with each other, but it looks like the “Starlock Max” tools are the super high power tools where sticking in a regular OIS blade and jamming it into material would probably do nothing good to the mounting interface. It lacks the OIS hole pattern found in the standard OIS interface and that leads me to believe they’re trying to use the outermost edges of the metal to drive the blade.

YES!! I have waited buying the current 12v omt in hopes of thus news! I love my Fein 350 and when doing a bunch of cuts the power cord does nit bother me. Having a brushless 12v omt with a quick change blade…sign me up!! Nice find @reflector!

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

I like my 18V OMT, its got the power and runtime but a 12V version with the brushless motor improvement would be something I’d like to have as well

I agree! It would be really interesting to find out the run time of a 12v Brushless OMT. Well, and of course the power also.

A Working Pro since 2004

Sometimes I kinda wish I had a smaller version of the 18V OMT after handling the 12V, but I know the current 12V OMT really doesn’t have the runtime compared to the 18V OMT with the brushless motor. I’m hoping this is not going to be another NAINA release and we’re going to actually get it refreshing the current 12V OMT.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

@jzmtl

Check out the interface graphics on that. I think what they’re trying to do is to make it so all the “Starlock” interfaces are compatible with each other, but it looks like the “Starlock Max” tools are the super high power tools where sticking in a regular OIS blade and jamming it into material would probably do nothing good to the mounting interface. It lacks the OIS hole pattern found in the standard OIS interface and that leads me to believe they’re trying to use the outermost edges of the metal to drive the blade.

Yeah it looks like from the photo it should work with the current OIS, although only from one side, so for whatever reason if you want to mount the blade flipped it would not work anymore.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

@jzmtl @reflector Btw, now that you brought that up… I’m still confused why I could not take blades from out Feins from site and use them on the Bosch 18v OMT. A mod was even nice enough to send me an attachment (attached picture) but it still wasn’t for the normal blade we use on site on our Feins.

Edit – It seems to me from your Starlock post that our site could be using some really old Feins, they have the older attachment?

A Working Pro since 2004

Doobie
    Pro

This would be nice. Many times I’m pulling out my corded OMT for just one quick cut. This would be a lot more convenient. Used my OMT today actually.

@jzmtl

That sounds like its the case, since I’ve found sometimes I want to reverse the blade to have it closer to my grip line for better control.

Judging by how the looks, I suspect that also means the Starlock Max tools won’t take a lot of blades on the market but they seem like they’re super heavy duty when you’re looking at 500W motor tools getting that interface.

As far as I can tell, the standard “Starlock” interface is basically the OIS interface with that 3D interface component of Starlock added. My assumption is that older tools wiill let you flip the Starlock blades around fine. I haven’t seen a picture of the tool side of the interface so maybe there’s a chance the non Starlock Max versions will let you flip the blade. The “Plus” version looks weird and I’m not too sure of why it got added on, given the Starlock interface looks like it’ll take higher torque in the first place and they might as well use that. Maybe that’s designed so you could flip the blade sand it drives using the center…

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Btw, now that you brought that up… I’m still confused why I could not take blades from out Feins from site and use them on the Bosch 18v OMT. A mod was even nice enough to send me an attachment (attached picture) but it still wasn’t for the normal blade we use on site on our Feins.

Edit – It seems to me from your Starlock post that our site could be using some really old Feins, they have the older attachment?

That adapter is to let you use Bosch blades on other brands of OMT, not using other blades on Bosch OMT. There is an adapter that came with my 12v OMT for this purpose but it’s not sold separately as far as I know.

Fein have two different interface I think, one with central 4 point star that’s compatible with Bosch if they also have the outer circle of holes, the other is a big circle like the 2nd pic you posted and isn’t compatible with anything else.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Btw, now that you brought that up… I’m still confused why I could not take blades from out Feins from site and use them on the Bosch 18v OMT. A mod was even nice enough to send me an attachment (attached picture) but it still wasn’t for the normal blade we use on site on our Feins.

That adapter is to let you use Bosch blades on other brands of OMT, not using other blades on Bosch OMT. There is an adapter that came with my 12v OMT for this purpose but it’s not sold separately as far as I know.

Fein have two different interface I think, one with central 4 point star that’s compatible with Bosch if they also have the outer circle of holes, the other is a big circle like the 2nd pic you posted and isn’t compatible with anything else.

Cheers, my confusion is finally over!!

A Working Pro since 2004

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

As far as I can tell, the standard “Starlock” interface is basically the OIS interface with that 3D interface component of Starlock added. My assumption is that older tools wiill let you flip the Starlock blades around fine. I haven’t seen a picture of the tool side of the interface so maybe there’s a chance the non Starlock Max versions will let you flip the blade. The “Plus” version looks weird and I’m not too sure of why it got added on, given the Starlock interface looks like it’ll take higher torque in the first place and they might as well use that. Maybe that’s designed so you could flip the blade sand it drives using the center…

Yeah the shaft and flange type from 12v and 2.5 amp should work from either side, just not the quick attach type from 18v and 3.0 amp since the outer sleeve may be too fat to fit from the side with Fein star.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

The brushless OMT would be great…and I’d definitely buy one! BUT…what is the point in changing the attachment method? IMO, there isn’t anything wrong with the current standard. The first article even mentioned how the change was likely for marketing purposes!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Cheers, my confusion is finally over!!

Here’s what the other adapter looks like for the curious. It sits on top of the flange to create a flat surface for the screw to clamp down and hold with friction alone. It only works with the non-quick attach type so you would not have gotten it with 18v (or 3 amp) OMT.

The brushless OMT would be great…and I’d definitely buy one! BUT…what is the point in changing the attachment method? IMO, there isn’t anything wrong with the current standard. The first article even mentioned how the change was likely for marketing purposes!

I want to see it first hand. I think two big names in the omt business like Fein and Bosch wouldn’t release a big change like this if it wasn’t a great improvement.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

what is the point in changing the attachment method? IMO, there isn’t anything wrong with the current standard.

I’ have never had a blade fall off or come loose.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

@jponto07

It looks like they’re doing this for the 500W corded tools but revising the blades to have the funny 3D Starlock interface. As far as I can tell from the Polish page, its claimed that the Starlock tools are backwards compatible with OIS tools and that the normal Starlock blades are more or less like OIS blades. The funny interface seems to be intended to allow for the Starlock Max tools to drive them hard.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.537 seconds