dcsimg

bosch v. hilti v. festool v. metabo

Tagged: 

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 37 total)
  • Author

who do you think is best all-around for high(est)-end tools? certainly it comes down to your application to some degree (and sure, we can consider dewalt if we must). if you are a woodworker you might be partial to festool, and hilti is known for powder actuated tools, etc… so it might be comparing apples to oranges. BUT, who is yer ‘ole faithful?

let the german engineering battle begin!

John S

woodman_412

I’ve found that when you look at cost to performance/quality Bosch has always won for me in general. Festool makes some very nice tools but in most applications I can’t justify the extra cost if the Bosch model will get the job done just as well for me and last just as long or close to it. Having said that I am looking at the Festool track saw.

Dan

danpattison.com

i agree that at some point the price/value simply comes down to preference and bias – there are certain festool tools that truly outperform in a way worth the cash (domino for example perhaps)… but sometimes buying it seems that buying festool would purely be for the purpose of buying THE priciest for the sake of having the “best”

John S

I spoke with some of the Bosch engineers a few years ago. Their comment was “nobody makes the best of everything.” They cited several items in their line that they thought were superior and other items where the competition was superior item-by-item.

I have had a Bosch RO sander since it first came out, maybe more than 20 years ago. I since got a good deal on a Festool ROS. While I’ll agree that the Festool is better, but I’m not sure it’s twice as better to justify twice the cost. The same with their miter saw. For that price point, I could get a mid-range table saw. Now if I was a finish carpenter doing a lot of work in finished areas (e.g., rehab of restaurants during closed hours), then yes, I’d probably spring for the Festool and Festool vac. But for the stuff I do, my $99 Hitachi with an $80 Freud blade does fine.

woodman_412

Speaking of restaurants, I wish I had the Festool Kapex when I worked on an expansion at a local restaurant back in December. Dust was a real concern on that job and my Makita is a great mitre saw but the dust collection isn’t the best. It was also a challenge trying to do all the work during closed hours and there were apartments above so I couldn’t work too late either. A few different pieces of Festool gear would have made that job go a little easier.

Dan

danpattison.com

parenos
    Honesdale, PA

I would throw Makita into the mix as well. All of my cordless tools are makita (except my dewalt kit). I am also a festool fan, but they are expensive. Festool is set up as a system, so everything works together. The more you add, the more you like the system. I also carry Bosch sanders, multitool and jigsaw. I have always considered Hilti as Industrial

When I first started out, I got a lot of Porter Cable stuff. Since acquired by DeWalt, then DeWalt got acquired by Stanley, PC is now a brand looking for a home. It seems to have gone from a professional brand to Joe weekend trip to Lowe’s. (I started to say Home Depot, but they’ve brought Ridgid as their in-house brand).

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I have used almost every type of tool there is and from now on it is nothing but Bosch .

parenos
    Honesdale, PA

I have not bought anything Bosch that I did not like.

woodman_412

Same goes for me. I’ve been very happy with every tool that I’ve bought from Bosch. They really seem to pay attention to what makes a tool work well and also build it well. When you make your living with tools you can’t afford to have tools that don’t do the job well.

Dan

danpattison.com

parenos
    Honesdale, PA

although I still have yet to use any bosch cordless. That’s a hard change over once you have some batteries.

i am impressed that i hear a lot of people recommend makita cordless… is it just that they have such a big line of tools? what is so great about their cordless tools?

John S

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

reliability and batteries that actually last.. 4 of us at work all have makita kits which get used daily.. 2 of the kits are 3 years old now and not one of us have had any issues with the batteries..

both myself and our electrician have had milwaukee tools that were pretty much useless after 6 months and werent used heavily. .their battery tech is no where near heavy duty like they claim.. dewalt also has the same issue. these two companies have been having to rework their batteries once or twice a year

makita has only had to make one minor tweak to their lxt batteries that were released back in 05

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

woodman_412

I’ve had great performance out of my 12V Bosch cordless drills and they get used all the time on every job. I’ve been noticing that Bosch is coming out with more tools that work with the 12V line which is great to see.

Dan

danpattison.com

yes yes dan – i am also stoked about bosch adding to their 12v line!!

John S

parenos
    Honesdale, PA

I already have the Makita 12v drill/driver set, so its going to take awhile before they need replacing.

woodman_412

I find the 12V drills and drivers are the best thing since sliced bread for doing cabinet work. They’re light, they have a light on them, have plenty of guts for 99% of cabinet work, they fit into tight spaces and you can even put them in a pocket if you need to position something and then have the drill/driver at the ready. I looked at the Makita set too when I bought mine. It was pretty close between the 2 but I think the Bosch had slightly higher torque if I remember right.

Dan

danpattison.com

nobody here uses / has used metabo? how about mafell? i hear they both make solid jigsaws. i know bosch does too 🙂

John S

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

ive used 3 metabo tools, a hammer drill years ago. more recently a 6″ orbital sander and their jigsaw.. the jigsaw reminds me of the newer makita. the sander is awesome very aggresive but very balanced.. it was in a carpenter shop i worked in for the local university.. its what im leaning towards when my currenty makita 5″ random orbit dies

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

Never heard of metabo I’ve always Luke Bosch. Hilt I is great but lil expensive for me. Its true no one company
    Makes the best. Idont cut much so I use craftsman
    Bosch Milwaukee when I drill. Especially drilling
    Thru concrete. All I have from festool its there says
    Lights.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.384 seconds