dcsimg

Bosch TS-4100 + Gravity stand dust collection mods

This topic contains 53 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  smallerstick 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 54 total)
  • Author

Kamster
    Pro

After reading the thread about the 4100 accessories
    http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/bosch-table-saw-accessories-review-bosch-4100-09-10-in-table-saw/
    I thought I would share how I modified the 4100 and gravity stand to improve the dust collection with a shop vacuum.

In my initial attempt at dust collection, I used a ¼ inch sheet of plywood for the base under the saw and covered every opening with pieces of children’s play mat foam cut to appropriate shapes and lengths and attached them with gorilla tape. The dust collection with a single vacuum hose attached to the rear port was OK but I still ended with a lot of dust sitting on top of the plywood base inside the saw. I needed to use a 1 ½ inch vacuum hose to get into the back of the saw after removing the play mat covering. The other problem that I had was when I need to cut an angle, I had to remove the foam mats on the front and rear of the saw.

In version 2 of the dust collection mods, I made the following changes. I added a 4 inch dust collection port to the plywood base (see photo 1). I also flipped the saw around on the gravity stand so that the 4 inch port does not hit the stand when the stand is collapsed. The 4 inch port on the bottom and the 2 ½ inch port on the back are connected with a Y connector, 2 lengths of 2 ½ inch hose and a 2 ½ to 4 inch adapter. The hose is connected to a 6.5 HP Ridgid vacuum. (see photo 7)

The base of the saw was sealed with thick foam tape with an adhesive backing. I think I used ¾ inch thickness. Something like this http://www.homedepot.ca/product/closed-cell-sponge-rubber-tape/941510. In one area I reused some of the foam play mat just to get a comparison between the two foams. So far, both work equally well under the base. (See photo 2 and 4)

Since I wasn’t happy with the foam mats sealing off the openings in the saw, I decided to use the 4 inch and 2 inch Saw Stache from Fast Cap. (See photos 2, 2 closeup, 3)

http://www.fastcap.com/estore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=53770 .

(I’m lucky to be living 30 minutes from the FastCap factory in Washington State. I have to wait to cross at the border but its faster and cheaper than doing mail order.)

I cut the Saw Stache to length to fit the different arcs and notches on all 4 sides of the 4100. I bought 2 feet of the 2 inch and 2 feet of the 4 inch. Probably should have gotten 3 feet of the 4 inch. The Stashe is easy to cut with a knife or clip with a pair of tin snips. The different pieces of the Stashe were attached with Fast Cap’s double sided tape – SpeedTape. I was really impressed with the quality of the tape as it is incredibly sticky. As opposed to the sealed nature of the saw when I used the foam mats and tape, the Stashe covered openings allow more air to flow from the front of the saw to the back of the saw. The Staches on the front and the back also allow the angle of the saw blade to be changed easily – this is a huge improvement. The Stashe on the back also allows me to stick a 1 ½ inch hose into the saw to easily collect the dust that is trapped in the corners. (See photos 5 and 6)

I think that the version 2 modifications have improved the overall dust collection from the saw. The one area that continues to be a minor issue is the amount of dust that gets kicked back out of the top of the saw when using the standard Bosch insert. Using a slightly modified Bosch zero clearance insert does improve the dust ejection issue. I think that I’ll try a higher quality ZCI and see how that works.

Kamster
    Pro

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Very nice! First time I’ve heard of the sawstash, will have to remember it.

I like what you have done there . Fastcap makes some pretty good tools and products for trade use .

Always willing to learn .

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Saw Stache! Awesome!

I like the idea of knocking down the flying dust before it gets airborne. Another mod I would make would be to extend the plastic blade guard/ housing up to the bottom side of the table. With the blade height low, there is a Ton of space that the dust could escape from…whatever is used would have to be flexible as it would move up and down with the blade.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

I think that the version 2 modifications have improved the overall dust collection from the saw. The one area that continues to be a minor issue is the amount of dust that gets kicked back out of the top of the saw when using the standard Bosch insert. Using a slightly modified Bosch zero clearance insert does improve the dust ejection issue. I think that I’ll try a higher quality ZCI and see how that works.

I like the mods you have made. The sawstache is a great idea; I haven’t seen it before.
    As far as dust on the top of the saw is concerned, the ZCI will help but an overhead collector is the only way to get it all IMO.

It is better to remain silent and be thought stupid than to open your mouth and remove all traces of doubt.

I like the mods you have made. The sawstache is a great idea; I haven’t seen it before.
    As far as dust on the top of the saw is concerned, the ZCI will help but an overhead collector is the only way to get it all IMO.

The European blade guard has a vac port. Might be just the last missing piece for you
    Got it from powertoolspares.com

Part No. Part Name Quantity Unit Cost Total Cost
    2610018328 Protective Cover 1 £15.54 £15.54

Sub-Total £15.54 Picking & Packing £10.79
    VAT £5.27 Total £31.60

Kamster
    Pro

The European blade guard has a vac port. Might be just the last missing piece for you

VAT £5.27 Total £31.60

Thanks for the info on the cover. Did you buy one?

VAT £5.27 Total £31.60

Thanks for the info on the cover. Did you buy one?

Yes, but I haven’t received it yet. Will write a review/start a thread when I do, but for it on the GTS1031 (both use the same guard)

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

That looks like a great mod for the dust pickup.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Anonymous

Dang, I’ve searched hard to find a pic of that cover and I just can’t come up with one. I’d sure like to see it

@dabbs

I still have to order the hose assembly, since I like that there is a hanger built into the saw (TSVH3)

You can find a lot by looking for the GTS10J (Euro GTS1031) or the GTS10XC (Euro 4100). The GTS10 was what they called the 4000

And the hose “hanger” (TSVH3)

Kamster
    Pro

I like what you have done there . Fastcap makes some pretty good tools and products for trade use .

Fastcap does make some very good products. I had a great experience at their factory. Staff is really nice and know their stuff. There is a showroom at the front of the building and there were a number of “best fence and miter saws” set up for demo purposes.

Anonymous

Ohhh cool, I see how it works now. I like that, Thanks for the pics

Will write a review/start a thread when I do, but for it on the GTS1031 (both use the same guard)

Excellent, I will definitely add this to my GTS1013 as well… likely along with the saw stache like what @kamster has done. Well done! I thought the saw stache had lots of potential for different dust collection uses, but this is something I hadn’t thought about. Great solution!

John S

The saw stache…that is going to have a few uses for the future of my shop. Have a pretty good idea how it will work on my cnc build.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Same here. Finally some pics of this occasionally mentioned overhead port NAINA. Why it’s NAINA befuddles me somewhat.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

I still ended with a lot of dust sitting on top of the plywood base inside the saw. I needed to use a 1 ½ inch vacuum hose to get into the back of the saw after removing the play mat covering.

This could have been as a result of two factors. One, most inner cavities of saws that are sesined by manufacturers with DC in mind have a sloped inner bottom towards the extraction port.

The other factor is oversealing. You kay have oversealed the unit and created a vacuum chamber inside of sorts. Just like the HVAC system in our homes, if there is no way for air to return from a room, there is little air you can blow into a room. You seal up an entire lower base on a table saw, you can have a similar problem but in reverse. Using the Stash versus solid pieces for blocking, you eliminate that proboem.

Kevin.

Wannabee pro.

Same here. Finally some pics of this occasionally mentiojed port NAINA. Why it’s NAINA befuddles me somewhat.

I suspect there are a few reasons
    Since the big saws aren’t really used in Europe, this saw is not sold as “jobsite-only”. It is a shop saw. In a shop, dc is important.

In NA, on a site, when not hooked up to suction, that guard would be worse than the NA one. It will spew dust right out the vac hole and will be extra in the way (and thus not used). So they sell it with a jobsite-centric guard

I also suspect each guard would need to be certified since it is a safety device, so too expensive to cert for the few of us who would be open to buying it.

I will be happy to have both options, and switch as appropriate

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.089 seconds