dcsimg

Bosch Track saw to US 3rd Quarter 2018

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 292 total)
  • Author

An article and slide show on the new Bosch Tracksaw in today’s Tool of the Trade:

http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/power-tools/corded-tools/new-bosch-plunge-saw_o?utm_source=newsletter&utm_content=Product-Brief&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=TOTT_040318A%20(1)%20B&he=a4bc21e236d1dc8b2695a7f0a8fb43bfe1f36e51

Good read Lon, thanks for posting this.
    I also saw the Instagram video, good stuff.

Doobie

An article and slide show on the new Bosch Tracksaw in today’s Tool of the Trade:

http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/power-tools/corded-tools/new-bosch-plunge-saw_o?utm_source=newsletter&utm_content=Product-Brief&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=TOTT_040318A%20(1)%20B&he=a4bc21e236d1dc8b2695a7f0a8fb43bfe1f36e51

What seems odd to me is the claim that it’s a Mafell in a new coat.

Not that surprising- the European track saw is a lightly stripped version of the Mafell. I assume that’s the one being brought to North America. The tracks themselves are a joint product. Even a new saw that rides those rails would probably have a lot in common with Mafell and probably be a “twin minus features”

That’s probably why it’ll be so pricey. Anything Mafell is expensive, so if this is basically a tweaked and rebadged Mafell, that pricing makes more sense to me.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Good info but what jumped out for me was $599 for the tool only; Track available separately, I guess no charger or batteries either. Hooboy talk about pushing a brick uphill.

right no charger or battery because it’s corded 😛 😛

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

That’s probably why it’ll be so pricey. Anything Mafell is expensive, so if this is basically a tweaked and rebadged Mafell, that pricing makes more sense to me.

Where is it made at?? The Makita is a knock off of the Festool yet at 360$ for the saw and 55″ track???

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

This is going to be awesome. I can tell you first hand the tracks are really good as I have several Mafell tracks. They connect easy and are machined straight and square on the sides. Much easier to connect than FT or other brands. They also allow clamping on the edge so you can secure narrow pieces for safe and accurate cuts. The hole drilling will be cool. I think some members bought this a few years ago and there is an older thread on that system. The FT works well, but I would switch to these tracks and my Bosch router if easier to set up.

Hopefully this will open the door to some of Bosch’s carpentry saws to come over that also use the rails.

I think pricing is OK. Saw is reportedly more powerful than FT and incorporates much from Mafell, although you lose the easy blade change and scoring on Bosch.

Orange County, CA

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

right no charger or battery because it’s corded

Ooops guess that is a good reason. See my whole focus on tools is cordless. Still kinda pricey though.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

Doobie

Where is it made at?? The Makita is a knock off of the Festool yet at 360$ for the saw and 55″ track???

Didn’t realize that. Good point.

This is going to be awesome. I can tell you first hand the tracks are really good as I have several Mafell tracks. They connect easy and are machined straight and square on the sides. Much easier to connect than FT or other brands. They also allow clamping on the edge so you can secure narrow pieces for safe and accurate cuts. The hole drilling will be cool. I think some members bought this a few years ago and there is an older thread on that system. The FT works well, but I would switch to these tracks and my Bosch router if easier to set up.

Hopefully this will open the door to some of Bosch’s carpentry saws to come over that also use the rails.

I think pricing is OK. Saw is reportedly more powerful than FT and incorporates much from Mafell, although you lose the easy blade change and scoring on Bosch.

Thanks for posting that. Now I’m even more interested in getting one.

Didn’t realize that. Good point.

Thanks for posting that. Now I’m even more interested in getting one.

The makita is a very different saw then the Festool. I have used both and it is no copy. It’s a motor with similar power to the bigger TS75 but at the size of the TS55. No riving knife, but there is a cool tab that prevents the saw tipping on a bevel (or with the rail sideways) and a nice 2mm scoring option. Also uses a different blade size from the FT – uses the Bosch/Mafell size

I replaced my corded makita with the cordless one, and I like it better than my friend’s cordless Festool.

The only thing in common really is that it can ride on Festool tracks – but in doing so, you trade the ability to use the anti-tip tab (the makita rail has a lip that the Festool does not) and gain access to the rail based accessories that Festool offer (which all seem to not work on Makita tracks due to that same lip) as well as the greater selection of rail lengths.

Doobie

The only thing in common really is that it can ride on Festool tracks – but in doing so, you trade the ability to use the anti-tip tab (the makita rail has a lip that the Festool does not) and gain access to the rail based accessories that Festool offer (which all seem to not work on Makita tracks due to that same lip) as well as the greater selection of rail lengths.

That I knew. It was what prevented me from getting the cheaper rails for my FT TS75. I have those FT accesspries that won’t work on the Makita rails.

RyanF
    Pro

Mine is made in Germany, but it’s 3 years old. I’d guess they still make it there, but cant say for sure.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

The makita is a very different saw then the Festool. I have used both and it is no copy. It’s a motor with similar power to the bigger TS75 but at the size of the TS55. No riving knife, but there is a cool tab that prevents the saw tipping on a bevel (or with the rail sideways) and a nice 2mm scoring option. Also uses a different blade size from the FT – uses the Bosch/Mafell size

I too have used then side by side. I use Festool blades on my Makita all the time. The Festool is 5mm smaller but works fine, it has a 20mm arbor.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

redwood
    Pro

Personally, having owned both corded and cordless track saws, I would always take the corded model for 2 reasons. Cost being the biggie and 2) extractor activation doesn’t usually work as well with out a cord attached.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Personally, having owned both corded and cordless track saws, I would always take the corded model for 2 reasons. Cost being the biggie and 2) extractor activation doesn’t usually work as well with out a cord attached.

Thus the various remote starters now. I use a remote controlled night light for my vac

Doobie

How did you find they compared power wise? Is the cordless significantly less than a corded saw?

redwood
    Pro

How did you find they compared power wise? Is the cordless significantly less than a corded saw?

Actually no, the power was fine with the DeWalt cordless track saw that I had. Battery life was not so good though.

If you had plenty of batteries for that platform, it probably wouldn’t be a deal breaker though. I did not, so I sold it.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

The dual battery makita out powers the corded model. Runs at a much higher wattage than you can get off 110v and a 15a breaker. Also never fully discharged my two 5.0ah batteries. But I do charge when I stop for food or for the day

Doobie

Actually no, the power was fine with the DeWalt cordless track saw that I had. Battery life was not so good though.

If you had plenty of batteries for that platform, it probably wouldn’t be a deal breaker though. I did not, so I sold it.

The dual battery makita out powers the corded model. Runs at a much higher wattage than you can get off 110v and a 15a breaker. Also never fully discharged my two 5.0ah batteries. But I do charge when I stop for food or for the day

Thanks guys, good to know. I was imagining the opposite.

Thanks guys, good to know. I was imagining the opposite.

My corded Makita was more powerful than the Festool TS55 (I still preferred the festool for other reasons ) and my cordless was so much better than the corded that I sold it off almost right away

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

and my cordless was so much better than the corded that I sold it off almost right away

That says it all right there.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

My cordless FT is much more powerful than the corded version in my experience. Batteries last a long time too. I like not being tethered.

Orange County, CA

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 292 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.866 seconds