dcsimg

Bosch Starlock Oscillating System / OMT

This topic contains 231 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by  brianpeters 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 232 total)
  • Author

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

What is the advantage of a 6 amp over the current 3 amp? I mean it’s obviously more power, but I’ve never felt my 3 amp was underpowered at all.

The hand units are a little under powered for exterior caulking removal. I did try it out and it was much more efficient with a corded version. Maybe the 6amp will be able to compete a little better.

what you mean with hand units? cordless OMT’s?
    I only tried out the corded 6amp OMT at WOC for removing caulk and cutting screws.
    I was impressed. The new OMT’s need more power so they can transfer all that towards the new starlock blade system.
    Too bad that they didn’t have a cordless starlock OMT there.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

I seen that Fein also just came out with something like the locking mechanism . For sure looks like it’s fast blade change .

Always willing to learn .

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

I seen that Fein also just came out with something like the locking mechanism . For sure looks like it’s fast blade change .

Pretty sure I read starlock is a collaboration between Bosch and Fein.

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

looks interesting and costly but I am happy with the model I have and will wait until the new 18v version comes out.

I am still holding my breath for a brushless 12v/10.8v OMT with the Starlock…

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I saw a video a few months ago on it when it was posted here in the topics list and it is very impressive . It is a huge improvement .

So am I – and I already have two…. Dont need it, but solidly in the WANT column

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

same here. I would prolly get the 12V model rather than a 18V

Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

The 12v model I have actually suffers from being too light on some applications, the body would starts to shake whereas the 3 amp corded (a lot heavier) shows no sign of vibration. So even if they upgrade the 12v to brushless, it’ll still have problem of too light.

Pretty sure I read starlock is a collaboration between Bosch and Fein.

I guess that makes since there both a German company .

Always willing to learn .

The 12v model I have actually suffers from being too light on some applications, the body would starts to shake whereas the 3 amp corded (a lot heavier) shows no sign of vibration. So even if they upgrade the 12v to brushless, it’ll still have problem of too light.

Oh I still have 2 corded ones. One is almost done though…it gets really hot and really now. I just want the cordless for small tasks in finish work and cabinetry.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Oh I still have 2 corded ones. One is almost done though…it gets really hot and really now. I just want the cordless for small tasks in finish work and cabinetry.

Ah I see, it should do just fine then. It is really handy over the corded one, for small cuts it’ll be done by the time you get all the cords sorted out.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

some news from toolguyd about the different pricing about OIS and Starlock blades.

http://toolguyd.com/bosch-starlock-blades-for-your-older-oscillating-multi-tool-question/

Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Hmm, wonder if regular OIS blade will be phased out or will coexist with starlock. I’m guessing eventual phase out.

Hmm, wonder if regular OIS blade will be phased out or will coexist with starlock. I’m guessing eventual phase out.

I think they will be phased out since the basic Starlock is ois compatible. The reason for the different levels is because the plus and Max need heavier tools to take advantage of the blades.

Anything is possible if your wallet is thick enough ~ my father

Doobie

I think they will be phased out since the basic Starlock is ois compatible. The reason for the different levels is because the plus and Max need heavier tools to take advantage of the blades.

Frankly, that’s hard to say. I still use my 15 year old Fein with adapters. I do also have a newer one as well. These are just great tools, and all manufacturers come forward with keeping this tool category alive. There’s still a lot of market penetrating they have not done yet with these tools. They want these OMT tools to be on par with circ saws imo one day with how everyone will have one.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

I have the 2.5 amp, had it for about 4 years now, I actually don’t use it as much as I thought I would, mainly for caulk removal outside, and the odd job here and there,

That being said, I would definitely get the newer cordless version, just to be on the same battery platform,

Maybe I should be trying to sell before they phase the older ones out?

I have the 2.5 amp, had it for about 4 years now, I actually don’t use it as much as I thought I would, mainly for caulk removal outside, and the odd job here and there,

That being said, I would definitely get the newer cordless version, just to be on the same battery platform,

We have to see if the new Starlocks work on the 2.5A (if necessary, using the OIS adaptor) – If it does, you are still perfect for consumables. If not, reserve some blades and such, and use it on abusive jobs. Dont forget, sharpening is a PITA (some have had more success than I have) but removing the teeth entirely and making it a scraper is pretty easy. And I tend to scrape some nasty crap that I would prefer to keep away from a newer tool

Besides, the 2.5A is only about 100$ these days, including blades. A used one, without consumables, probably isn’t worth the effort to sell it for the little you can get.
    On the current generation, my 2.5A has already become my loan-out-to-family model, and I use it for removing old grout and ancient wallpaper. Messy jobs

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I wonder if the new Dremel OMT is brushless? It has a 7amp high performance motor but it is corded.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

We have to see if the new Starlocks work on the 2.5A (if necessary, using the OIS adaptor) – If it does, you are still perfect for consumables. If not, reserve some blades and such, and use it on abusive jobs. Dont forget, sharpening is a PITA (some have had more success than I have) but removing the teeth entirely and making it a scraper is pretty easy. And I tend to scrape some nasty crap that I would prefer to keep away from a newer tool

Besides, the 2.5A is only about 100$ these days, including blades. A used one, without consumables, probably isn’t worth the effort to sell it for the little you can get.
    On the current generation, my 2.5A has already become my loan-out-to-family model, and I use it for removing old grout and ancient wallpaper. Messy jobs

yah i agree with you, keep the old one as the lend out to family tool section. Specially the ones that don’t know what they are doing and tend to wreak all your stuff.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 232 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.857 seconds