dcsimg

Bosch router table

Tagged: 

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 288 total)
  • Author

I think that the Bosch table is pretty good. I use a smaller router table myself and it is adequate for most things I have found.

Orange County, CA

woodman_412

I’m really interested in the jointing feature that the video shows. I don’t have space for my 8″ jointer to be set up right now and nor do I want to haul it into the basement so it’s in storage. This router table would work nicely for edge jointing with my big jointer out of commission.

Dan

danpattison.com

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I tried using my router as a jointer. I didn’t like it… at all. I am still on the hunt for a real jointer (I currently run to my brothers shop and use his)

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

staker
    Pro

What kind of bit did you use for jointing. It’s hard to beat the proper machine.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

It was a tall double fluted straight bit. I shimmed one side of the fence out.

I just found it hard to keep pressure on the fence, and the fence was so small.

For little boards it would prob work in a pinch. I would rather use a power hand plane mounted upside down I think.

Brad T

staker
    Pro

I’ve never tried it I always had a jointer one of the first mackines I bought.

Anonymous
    Inactive

That’s a good point Sven. I was thinking earlier that I might want to put something on top of my table for some cuts after putting all the work into making the top.

Here is a good review I found of the Bosch router table.

http://newwoodworker.com/reviews/b1181rvu.html

I’m kinda thinking about saving up for one now, it sounds like a good little router table with some good features.

Thanks for the link Dan. Was a good review of the table. You might have just cost me some piggies.

Me too, I still want to make an insert in my table saw for it but since I don’t seem to get around to it I might go back to this idea. They really don’t cost that much, Even if I only use it till I get an insert built I’d always have it for whatever later

woodman_412

I’d be curious to see just how well it does work jointing. The guy in the video seemed to like it but being used to my 8″ long bed jointer I don’t think it would work quite as well. One thing I was thinking though, even if I get my jointer set up again at some point when I have the space it would still be nice to be able to joint ply or melamine on the router table…anything that you wouldn’t want to run over your jointer knives. A spiral bit would probably work nicely for jointing.

Dan

danpattison.com

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I am finding, you can never have too many routers or too many router tables. I would take a third table and I would like another MRC23.

It never ends.

Brad T

woodman_412

lol it sounds like you’re hooked Brad. What do you like about the MRC23? I had thought about going with that one when I got the 1617 a couple years ago but opted for the 1617 since the handles on the fixed base can be removed which I wanted the option for mounting it in my router table. Plus I got the 1617 on a good sale at Can Tire.

Dan

danpattison.com

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I love the trigger control in the handle. It’s SOOO nice. I have the 1617 as well in my Jessem lift ( I highly recommend this lift)

I was using a colt router in the plunge base today, and although I think the plunge base is super, and the grips are nice, I longed for a trigger on the handle to turn it off when I was done with my routing without taking a hand off the router.

Once you have it, it’s hard to go back to a switch on the motor…

Brad T

woodman_412

The trigger on the handle is what was tempting me to go that route and I guess is what also made me decide against it for the router table. Maybe at some point I’ll save up for the MR23 to get the trigger feature now that I have my 1617 for the table.

Dan

danpattison.com

Anonymous
    Inactive

I used my MRC23 today with the fixed base, I love this thing. Not that I have a bunch to compare it with other than my old B&D but it also has the trigger handle, I couldn’t imagine the trigger up on the motor…The soft start thing is soo nice too, I’m not used to it yet and everytime I pull the trigger I’m hanging on tight……. for nothing

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

It was a tall double fluted straight bit. I shimmed one side of the fence out.

I just found it hard to keep pressure on the fence, and the fence was so small.

For little boards it would prob work in a pinch. I would rather use a power hand plane mounted upside down I think.

I’ve had success using my router table for jointing, but I’ve never attempted anything over a 6/4. I use a 3/4″ bit that’s about 2 1/2″ tall. I usually have multiple feather boards set up to help keep adequate pressure against the fence. I think the results would be improved with a longer fence. Short of owning a jointer, I may try to build auxiliary infeed and outfeed extensions for my existing fence. Each side is about 16″ or so right now.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

Ive seen some guys do amazing things on smaller router tables. But nothing beats a good solid one. Looks like a great table for portability but not what i would want as a shop model

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

I traded in my points for the 1181 table. It’s awesome. I was impressed with the construction of this table. Quite versatile the way it’s built. I bought a Colt fixed router that’s dedicated to this table. I’m hoping to use it pretty soon for my countertop edge moulding and for some moulding I want to put on the perimeter of the kitchen soffit at the ceiling.

Wish I could give a review on it, but I’ve been too busy to really get my hands on it until now.

Pat

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I need both a router and a table. Glad you like yours.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

woodman_412

Glad to hear that you like yours Pat. It definitely looks like a great table. I miss my full sized jointer for being able to dress rough sawn lumber but being able to joint edges on the router table would be a big help.

Dan

danpattison.com

Anonymous
    Inactive

Man the more I hear the talk of this the higher it gets on my wish list, One problem is after looking over the owners manual I don’t see the MRF01 fixed base listed to bolt up to the plate and thats what came with my MRC23evsk. Is it just an oversight and the bolt pattern is the same or do I need to order another plate for it?

woodman_412

That’s a good question Boyd. I was going to take a look at the manual online later to see how everything works. I have the 1617 router so I’m not sure what the deal would be with the MRC23.

Dan

danpattison.com

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 288 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.793 seconds