dcsimg

Bosch router table

Tagged: 

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 288 total)
  • Author

There are lots of good plans out there if you want to build. But it can get pricey really quick when/if you add a lift, premium fence, etc… Even if you make one, having another one is handy for two-router set-ups – making cabinets is one example where you can set your rail and stile bits up and then route all the profiles and if you mess up you can quickly make a duplicate part. It is a pain to have to change bits and calibrate them.

Orange County, CA

staker
    Pro

Yes it would be handy to have 2 tables to set up, flooring is another example.

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

Lon, Yes, I did get one for my points. I haven’t used it yet due to other projects, which is why I haven’t written about it yet. But it’s a really nice table. I’ve mounted a dedicated fixed-base router to it, but that’s as far as I’ve gotten so far.

My garage has been so full of stuff from vacant apartments that I couldn’t even get to it for a long time. I intend to post photos of another kitchen remodel I recently completed. And I’ve been laying new flooring and replacing toilets a lot lately. No time for personal projects.

Pat

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

There are lots of good plans out there if you want to build. But it can get pricey really quick when/if you add a lift, premium fence, etc… Even if you make one, having another one is handy for two-router set-ups – making cabinets is one example where you can set your rail and stile bits up and then route all the profiles and if you mess up you can quickly make a duplicate part. It is a pain to have to change bits and calibrate them.

That were the dilemma is. If I want to build doors or cabinets. I just head to the cabinet shop. I mainly just want one to tinker with.
    I looked at the other Bosch table at Lowes today. It was a little smaller than I think I would like.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

woodman_412

Has anyone had anymore thoughts on the Bosch router table or experience with it? I was thinking about maybe saving my points for one to give me something portable that I can easily work with outside or my limited basement shop space. The router table from my old shop is more stationary and I built it myself. It’s in storage right now along with my stationary gear.

Dan

danpattison.com

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

I’m still thinking on it myself. I look at the one Lowes has every time I’m there. The size is a little small, but for what I will do with it at home it might be fine.

Ron

woodman_412

I should see if I can find one on display anywhere locally to play with. It always helps to be able to play around with something to get a better sense of how it works.

Dan

danpattison.com

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Dan, have you thought about putting it in your MFT top?

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

woodman_412

Dan, have you thought about putting it in your MFT top?

No I hadn’t thought of that but that’s a good idea. That’s what you did isn’t it? I guess my only concern with putting it in a non torsion box top would be the MDF sagging under the weight of the router. I’ll have to check out your setup again Brad, thanks for the idea.

Dan

danpattison.com

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I did put it in my bench and love it. Having the long top of the bench is REALLY nice.

I know it did on my 4100 with the insert. But it didn’t take much to fix that and it’s been solid ever since. I was thinking on the MFT you would just mount an extra base and have it pretty simple. My brother has a router base only on his table saw and I don’t think it’s an issue. hhmmmm. Maybe a second MFT table for your router!

Brad T

woodman_412

I just had another look at your bench Brad and it’s awesome! If I was looking for something to stay in the shop I would definitely build what you have. The other thing I just thought of with a router insert in mine is that it would limit where I can cut with the track saw.

Dan

danpattison.com

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

yup, with your table I would go for a hole though the top only. Pretty simple but it works.

If you counter sink the bolts this would work

http://lumberjocks.com/assets/pictures/projects/340334-438x.jpg

or maybe with a wood insert:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_55g0cgKkBL8/TGadtt-SpLI/AAAAAAAAAMw/V5k-52rHTN0/s1600/router_table.jpg

Brad T

woodman_412

That would work Brad. I was thinking metal or plastic insert and didn’t even think of the wood or hole option. I suppose it’s something that I could always retrofit afterwards too if I didn’t do it now.

Dan

danpattison.com

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

My first router table was a scrap piece of 3/4″ ply with a hole through it clamped on top of two wooden saw horses. It worked surprisingly well.

Brad T

KenW
    Pro

I’ve never used a Bosch router table, but I did use a Kreg. I really like the plunger mount. It made change outs simple and really easy. I found some pics on the web where people have made the stand into a cabinet. Though it’s not portable like this Bosch it is on wheels for around the shop.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

@thedude306 I know I asked this before, but can’t for the life of me remember. What template but did you use to route out for the plate? How did you do it?

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

@svensshutters

I built my own for the bosch plate. I am going to replace the bosch plate with a jessem plate. There’s nothing wrong with the bosch plate, it’s just that my lift is a Jessem and I want to use the same inserts.

The block in the middle is just to hold the router flat. The long skinny pieces get added so you don’t route the lip that the plate sits on. At the time I didn’t have the template guides or a router table. Now with the FNS OFA I would just measure the offset and use the rails. You just have to be careful with the corners.

Brad T

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

That makes sence thank you. Since seeing the wood insert that you posted, I’m thinking it would be enough for when I rebuild my bench at first.

The other thing I just thought of with a router insert in mine is that it would limit where I can cut with the track saw.

You could always have a sacrificial sheet of wood, or some of the styrofoam insulation to lay on top of you bench so that you don’t have to worry about the plate when using the track saw.

woodman_412

That’s a good point Sven. I was thinking earlier that I might want to put something on top of my table for some cuts after putting all the work into making the top.

Here is a good review I found of the Bosch router table.

http://newwoodworker.com/reviews/b1181rvu.html

I’m kinda thinking about saving up for one now, it sounds like a good little router table with some good features.

Dan

danpattison.com

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

That’s a good point Sven. I was thinking earlier that I might want to put something on top of my table for some cuts after putting all the work into making the top.

Here is a good review I found of the Bosch router table.

http://newwoodworker.com/reviews/b1181rvu.html

I’m kinda thinking about saving up for one now, it sounds like a good little router table with some good features.

Thanks for the link Dan. Was a good review of the table. You might have just cost me some piggies.

Ron

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 288 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.959 seconds